PDA

View Full Version : Extraction troubles

xobitx
03-17-2003, 10:29 PM
I have a dtivo connected via crossover cable to pc, no hub switch etc. I'm running extreme 2.5.2 with xplusz on dtivo and winXP on pc. I am trying to extract recordings for archiving to dvd and divx. I would prefer to edit and cut on pc side so I am just trying to get a file that I can edit with a pc progie like virtualdubb.

The only way I've been able to get this somewhat accomplished so far is by using tytools6r3. Buit its very slow, I have only transfered 1 small file successfully, a 1 minute 15mb test clip from mtv. Transfered successfully and was able to play in windvd not the greatest quality but it worked. Then I attempted a batch of files and after 5 minutes and 22mbs of the files it stopped and got an stdout error, "#1 failed to write to stdout". Then I attempted 1 sopranos episode 890m listed in tytools. But it bombed out same arror at 26mbs. The outputted video was viewable but only a couple minutes of video. Today I tried again with a 30 minute show reported by tytools as 606m but it bombed out too same error at 280mbs about 40%. It took it 2hrs and 5 minutes before it got this error. This seems like a long time to just be transfering 280mbs too. And I am unable to open the extracted .m2v files in any editing program I have tried several.

I can successfully connect and use tivoweb but not sure how or if you can use it to extraxt video. I can get a .ty file using its mfstream but its 0kb and I not sure how to read or use it. And yes I do have noscramble active and running. I can also connect via ftp but not sure what directory the video is in and if there is some speacial way via ftp to extract. What can I do to correct this or is there a better way to extract like mfs-ftp?

I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me detailed instructions on getting this going. Thanks in advance.

captain_video
03-17-2003, 11:16 PM
TyTool6r3 shouldn't be taking that long to extract a video clip. Do you have other processes running on the Tivo while you're trying to extract a video? There have been lots of reported cases wher TyTool will terminate prematurely if you have other things running on the Tivo during the extraction process. Make sure you're not recording or playing anything back while extracting. Try tuning both tuners to unused channels (i.e. channel 0). You should be able to extract a 1GB ty file in under 10 minutes or so (usually much less).

I have personally never tried extracting via Tivoweb so I can't vouch for that method although some people like it. I am currently in the process of attempting to set up mfs_ftp in the next week or so, as time permits. This seems like it may end up being the method of choice if Riley can get it to do everything he hopes to do with it. TyTool is without a doubt the easiest method. I would recommend sticking with TyTool for the moment and try and get the bugs worked out of it. Get your feet wet with TyTool to get a feel for extraction and then move on to more complex methods when you feel comfortable with it.

xobitx
03-18-2003, 03:47 PM
No I have it connected via crossover directly. Here is the process I use to start the transfer.

open teraterm pro
telnet to 192.168.1.101
then at var/hack# I type ./tserver_mfs6
then it starts and says waiting for connection.
I open tytool6r3 and click refresh then select recording and click get, tranfer begins.

I believe this is the correct process for running tytools, right?

I'm not sure what the problem is but I am going to get a switch and some new patch cable to see if it may be the cable.

hickory
03-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Some basic questions:

1. What is the speed of your pc and how much ram do you have?

2. Have you tried just downloading the .ty files and then muxing them later when your not connected to the Tivo?

3. Dumb question but gotta ask: How much hard drive space do you have?

4. Are you running any other processes on your pc while your transfering files?

Like Captain Video said make sure your not recording on the Tivo while downloading and change channels to ones that are not in use.

xobitx
03-18-2003, 06:26 PM
<<1. What is the speed of your pc and how much ram do you have?>>

AMD 1600+, 256ddr, 3com 10/100 nic.

<<2. Have you tried just downloading the .ty files and then muxing them later when your not connected to the Tivo?>>

I have tryed both .ty and mux in ty stream .ty is only slightly faster.

<<3. Dumb question but gotta ask: How much hard drive space do you have?>>

120GB free

<<4. Are you running any other processes on your pc while your transfering files?>>

Yes but just ie and tsrs and such.

<<Like Captain Video said make sure your not recording on the Tivo while downloading and change channels to ones that are not in use.>>

That would be fine if it only took a few minutes to dowload but I cant wait 20+ hrs without recording or changing channels just for one 1hr recording to transfer. There is obviously something wrong speed wise to begin with so I will try new wire then new nic then see what happens.

lmurray
03-18-2003, 08:39 PM
sounds to me like the network is failing.

1) how did you install your network card into your tivo ? did you use the install_scripts ?

2) did you make the crossover cable? can you test it on something else ? (another pc etc..)

3) type ifconfig on your tivo. Do you have any errors reported?

hope this helps,
-lloyd-

xobitx
03-18-2003, 09:04 PM
<<1) how did you install your network card into your tivo ? did you use the install_scripts ?>>

I just inserted it powered dtivo. I was already running extreme 2.5.2 so i just added static ip info to rc.net and rebooted and was able to connect after that then I added a couple files for the tytools to work.

<<2) did you make the crossover cable? can you test it on something else ? (another pc etc..)>>

Only got one pc.

<<3) type ifconfig on your tivo. Do you have any errors reported?>>

When I run ifconfig I get no errors just whats below

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

net0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:AD:22:FE:66
inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:60682 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:288677 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

SR712
03-18-2003, 09:08 PM
xobitz-

Maybe your little net's running at 10 Mb? That would make a huge difference in the xfer rate. Also, xfer will be faster when TiVo is in Standby, and no recordings are happening.

simonp
03-18-2003, 09:13 PM
do a ping -s <tivo> let it run for a while and look to see if it dropped any packets. I've had a couple net cards die with those symptoms. If you have linux on the machine try ping -f <tivo> for a better test.

Check to be sure both cards are running full duplex. If one is half duplex it will make things seem really, really slow.

Tiros
03-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Check your NIC in control panel ->device manager, right click on network card, properties, advance, connection type.
Some cards that are set to "autosense" do not always connect at 100mbps.

misato
03-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Tiros
Check your NIC in control panel ->device manager, right click on network card, properties, advance, connection type.
Some cards that are set to "autosense" do not always connect at 100mbps.

I definitely agree with that one: "autosense" messes up, IMO, at least 75% of the time. I recommend always setting manually to the speed and duplex you want.

xobitx
03-28-2003, 10:30 PM
I checked network and it was running in 10mbit but that wasnt the whole problem it also was only using 3-5% of it. I ended up replacing the crossover cable with a switch and some patch cable which enabled me to successfully transfer large files. And now its using 90+% of the 10mbit connection. Its set to hardware default and only has the option of 10 full or half no 100 setting. I have tried reinstalling the latest drivers for the nic with no success so I replaced it and all is well now. So was a combination of bad cable and nic. Thanks to all those who offered suggestions and help.