PDA

View Full Version : Extraction Newbie--scramble/descramble?

GLS
03-18-2003, 03:42 PM
I've been reading up on extraction and I'm hoping to get started extracting from my DSR6000 soon after installing my Turbonet. I think I'm clear on everything except the scrambling/descrambling. The only posts I've been able to find on this are at least several months old, so I'm wondering what the latest word on this is.

As I currently understand it, I have to install a script to disable scrambling, after which point I can't watch shows recorded prior to that time unless I turn scrambling back on. Is this at all accurate? I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a howto, or perhaps clue me in on some better search terms.

I should add that I don't want to install 25xtreme or anything, I want to keep my current installation of the standard 3.1.

Thanks!

ronnythunder
03-19-2003, 01:39 AM
i guess you could use a script, but it's actually the presence or absence of the noscramble.o kernel module. if it's installed, you can record or watch programming previously recorded with the module loaded. With it unloaded, you can watch programming previously recorded with it unloaded.

what i do: change both channels to a inactive channel. load (insmod noscramble.o) or unload (rmmod noscramble.o) as needed. change channels back, or go to now showing.

ronny

edit: by the way, i don't have extreme either; i'm running 3.1 and other than killing the initrd and flashing the prom, noscramble.o is the only change i've made.

Martlet
03-19-2003, 11:08 PM
See the post titled 'clarification' here:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=74518
it has a link to the code you want, and tells you all you need to know.