PDA

View Full Version : 2.5

Tictoc
07-18-2001, 12:01 PM
What's interesting in new 2.5 software:

This new features, listed here, are described in more detail below.
-Save Disk Space
-Skip By Tickmarks

Save Disk Space:
This feature increases the recording capacity for many TiVo subscribers by fitting more programs onto their Recorders. The increase in recording capacity depends on your TV signal quality and how much motion there is in the programs you record.

Some customers may find that the picture quality slightly decreases when choosing the save disk space option. You can choose to turn this feature on or off at any time by going to: 'TiVo Central'-->'Messages & Setup'-->'My Preferences'-->'Save Disk Space.' Try it out!

Skip By Tickmarks:
You can now skip through a program faster than ever! Any time you're using Fast Forward or Rewind, simply press the ADVANCE button (below the Fast Forward button) to jump to next tickmark on green Status Bar. Press it again and you advance to the next tickmark. Easy!

Vadim
07-18-2001, 01:43 PM
I already saw those, now I want 2.5 for directivo.

Tictoc
07-18-2001, 01:48 PM
dual tuner capability? :)

I really don't know since I only have 'regular' TiVo.

Fugg
07-18-2001, 10:31 PM
Tictoc,

thanks for the news!
are you running 2.5? or know someone that is?

can he(or you) still get a bash prompt?
can he(or you) still look at the mfs region?
does tivonet still work?
does httpd.tcl still work?
does lightn's tivoweb still work?
does ExtractStream still work?

Tictoc
07-19-2001, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Fugg
does tivonet still work?
does ExtractStream still work? [/B]

yes to all above. Keep in mind that these all can change in final release.

Fugg
07-19-2001, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Tictoc

WOOHOO!!!!!!

Thank You, Tictoc!!!
you made my day!!!

pasha
07-20-2001, 02:17 AM
on dual tunners
it suck!
can't get bash
chattr +i no longer works...
i.e. tivo continuasly reboots

stryder
07-20-2001, 01:05 PM
I have a md5sum program on my tivo, perhaps this is what can be used to update whatever holds the setting on a DTivo so that it will accept new files and not replace them with originals..

pasha
07-20-2001, 01:41 PM
problem is way more complicated...
1st of all you can't anything just becouse no longer you can't get in... so catch 22
following logs you can find something interesting... i.e. boot sequince has changed since 2.0 to 2.0.1-->2.5
so it boots from the disk than mount RAMDISK (form romfs then run script from there /linuxrc
it scans everything... then if it successful it change root to your /dev/hda4 or /dev/hda7
and runs rc.sysinit
but in 2.0.1 this script try to recover files
and if immune byte was set then is just fail on this step and was going to next one...
on 2.5 they seems changed this script to something very simple
i.e. if curruped then recove and reboot
so boots up again it still corrupted try to recover and reboot
and guess what it never end :(
so no time figure how to edit this /linuxrc located in compressed image somewhere

here is some logs

Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: hda:Started kswapd v 1.12
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11[M] hda12 hda13[M]
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3[M]
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: VFS: Mounted root (romfs filesystem).
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: 16 pages of PROM memory freed
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: 3 pages of unused kernel memory freed
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: Running as /linuxrc - autoscan!
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: Loading signatures file
Jan 1 00:01:08 (none) kernel: 836 valid entries loaded

stryder
07-20-2001, 01:48 PM
Have the install files for 2.5 handy? I wonder if they are installable on a SA unit. There has to be a way to update those files it is comparing the ones on the drive to so that they will match and it will finish booting up.

Art Vandelay
07-23-2001, 05:13 PM
Eel-Shushi / TicToc

So have you figured out the backdoor code for 2.5? If so would you care to share that?

Thanks Much!!

Tictoc
07-24-2001, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Art Vandelay
Eel-Shushi / TicToc

So have you figured out the backdoor code for 2.5? If so would you care to share that?

Thanks Much!!

Not yet. But it's already is enabled when you install tivonet.

Btw, 30 second skip is back :)

ToddMiller
07-24-2001, 01:55 AM
There's always the "edit tivoapp and replace eth0 with lo and pad with NUL bytes" option. Speaking of backdoors though, where/how was the 2.0 backdoor code found? It's not in plaintext in the tivoapp binary.

Vadim
07-24-2001, 10:50 AM
What you mean they are already enabled when you install tivonet?

Not yet. But it's already is enabled when you install tivonet.

Btw, 30 second skip is back :)

Tictoc
07-24-2001, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by vadim
What you mean they are already enabled when you install tivonet?

That's right. It also happen to 2.0.

Fugg
07-24-2001, 12:37 PM
Tictoc,
are you running a standalone or a directivo?
if your's is a standalone and eel-sushi's is a directivo, maybe that explains why your still in yours and eel-sushi's not.

would they be leaving the standalones open and shutting down the hacks on a directivo box?

although this would suck for the directivo guys, it may be good news for the standalone's.

...with the only input's accepted by the standalone's being analog, this SHOULD exzempt them from the dcma...

Tictoc
07-24-2001, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
Tictoc,
are you running a standalone or a directivo?
if your's is a standalone and eel-sushi's is a directivo, maybe that explains why your still in yours and eel-sushi's not.

Yes, I own standalone unit. And I agree with you. They may only tried to stop perfect digital copy hacking on directTiVo.

ToddMiller,

I think someone inside Tivo must have leaked the backdoor code.

I have a question for you. When you said "edit tivoapp and replace eth0 with lo and pad with NUL bytes", is this mean open tivoapp with hex editor and replace every eth0 string with lo and pad string with NUL?

Thank you in advance.

ToddMiller
07-24-2001, 02:48 PM
Basically yes, though you only need to change the first eth0 and I just do it on the TiVo itself using vim. Since tivoapp (aka myworld) checks for the existence of eth0 and enables backdoors if that exists this change just makes it check for the existence of the loopback device (which always exists).

Here's what I do (on the TiVo)

mount -oremount,rw /

mv /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.DIST

cp /tvbin/tivoapp.DIST /tvbin/tivoapp

vim -b -n /tvbin/tivoapp

Then I search for the first instance of eth0 and replace it with lo and 2 NUL bytes, save the file, verify that the size is the same as the original and reboot. Voila, persistent backdoors.

If you are more comfortable with a hex editor that will work just fine but I'm a vi guy and this way I don't have to rip the disk out and stick it on a PC.

- todd

el jefe
07-26-2001, 04:44 AM
As to the backdoor codes, you can go a strings on MyWorld..

TIVOGUY
07-26-2001, 11:21 AM
What happened to the patch that was supposed to let unsub'd users record manually again?

TiVo promised us limited functions with 1.3 software. I did a new setup and 2.0 was downloaded; now no manual record function.

TiVo deliberately mislead purchasers in saying they would have limited functions without a sub; they said a sub was NOT necessary.

Get around fix.

After getting the download for 2.0 I then subbed, did a new setup from my original back up of 1.3 and was grandfathered in with 1.3 software. I unplugged the phone line and will cancel my sub next month. I then did a backup of that hard drive, now I have TWO functional 1.3 hard drives with manual record function activated. I then purchased another hard drive, did another backup and placed it in my other TiVo SA and now have two manual recording TiVo SA units, a third setup hard drive, and a virgin 1.3 backup.

Thank you TiVo, I like being a grandfather.

ToddMiller
07-26-2001, 03:18 PM
I am very familiar with strings but I was never able to find the backdoor codes in there in plain text....

el jefe
07-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Todd -
I ran strings on MyWorld and see it in there.
I figure if it changes, it's just a matter of finding it again.

jmccorm
07-27-2001, 09:53 PM
Save Disk Space:
This feature increases the recording capacity for many TiVo subscribers by fitting more programs onto their Recorders. The increase in recording capacity depends on your TV signal quality and how much motion there is in the programs you record.

I have some thoughts about what this really is. Could this possibly be related to the bug in 2.0 (and was it 1.3) where people with nice televisions and s-video lost some vertical resolution? Normal people weren't able to tell, but a few people with high-end systems were.

If TiVo lowered the recording quality so where the extra resolution wasn't even recorded, then that'd be one heck of a space saver for those of us who wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. (Recording space for video = 1/2 of normal.)

mbklein
08-02-2001, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by jmccorm

I have some thoughts about what this really is. Could this possibly be related to the bug in 2.0 (and was it 1.3) where people with nice televisions and s-video lost some vertical resolution? Normal people weren't able to tell, but a few people with high-end systems were.

If TiVo lowered the recording quality so where the extra resolution wasn't even recorded, then that'd be one heck of a space saver for those of us who wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. (Recording space for video = 1/2 of normal.)

I wonder if they enabled Variable Bit Rate encoding on the standalone. That would explain why the space increase depends on the picture quality and amount of motion between frames.

Michael

Fugg
10-08-2001, 06:15 PM
quote:
----------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Fugg:
does tivonet still work?
does ExtractStream still work?

quote:
Originally posted by Tictoc:

ok,
the release version is out in final beta.

Tictoc,

can you give us an update?
please?