PDA

View Full Version : 1hr now almost 2gb

bato
03-18-2003, 11:06 PM
I found my Dtivo erasing recordings and didn't know what was going on until I checked the sizes, almost all my recorded shows in the networks are twice the size they were before.

I'm talking about 1GB for 1/2 hr show.

Just recorded the 2 hr American Idol show and it is 4,652MB long!

Recordings from other channels still around 1GB per hr.

DeTer
03-18-2003, 11:26 PM
bato,

This is basically what I have been seeing, 1/2 hr episodes being 1Gb, but I got little response when I posted it earlier. Just doubled the # of DvDs you need. :) and a lot more HD space in your TiVo as well. I have noticed this mostly on the Fox network from NY.

DeTer

Originally posted by bato
I found my Dtivo erasing recordings and didn't know what was going on until I checked the sizes, almost all my recorded shows in the networks are twice the size they were before.

I'm talking about 1GB for 1/2 hr show.

Just recorded the 2 hr American Idol show and it is 4,652MB long!

Recordings from other channels still around 1GB per hr.

osetivo
03-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Today I had a 32 minute Seinfeld (+ 1minute beginning and end) from the Fox NY feed top out at a new high of 1.45GB This is getting absurd. Fox doesn't control the compression, bit rate, whatever? Why would DirectTV use/waste this much bandwith for the NY Fox feed? Any ideas?

bato
03-26-2003, 12:29 AM
before it was 500MB for half hour, now 1.5GB for same half hour, and I don't see the picture 3 times better, but my recording time is a third of what it used to be.

Man I will need to put 2 200GB drives at this rate :D

Pr.Sinister
03-31-2003, 01:35 AM
Well it used to be just FOX but now it looks like it's NBC and ABC
are at it too.

Tonight's 1 Hour Boomtown (NBC 382) : 2.41 Gigs
Tonight's 1 Hour Alias (ABC 386) : 2.08 Gigs
Tonight's Hour Oliver Beene (FOX 388) : 1.11 Gigs

West Coast is still good...

Tonight's Hour Malcolm In The Middle (FOX 389) : 0.45 Gig

This is getting ridiculous. I'm gonna change my Season Passes
for the East Coast to my Locals and see what that does.

-Pr.

03-31-2003, 09:36 AM
They only have so much bandwidth (unless they've moved some channels to another bird). What stations have gotten more compressed?

keith721
03-31-2003, 05:02 PM
Time-Warner Cable (my RoadRunner :D ISP) is pushing digital cable heavily in our local markets. Radio, television, snail-mail, e-mail, and even door hangers placed by hand at homes with dishes.

I'd tend to agree with Riley, they're probably trying to compete against digital cable. They're either re-allocating bandwidth from other channels on the same satellite, or they've moved certain things to other satellites. Since they've had so much trouble with locals the last several months, I'd suspect they're stealing the bandwidth from less-subscribed (and very probably less-watched) channels. :rolleyes:

osetivo
03-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Well since most TiVo users don't have any idea about the actual size of their recorded files, they'll never know their recording capacity has been cut in half.

Ignorance is bliss.

osetivo
03-31-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by rc3105
the cable modem ~40 mins to stream an 1.1gig/hour.
--
Riley

Have my conversion skills gone out the window or is this about 3800kb/s? Haven't checked since I got DSL, but is this a "common" cable modem speed? :eek:

Pr.Sinister
03-31-2003, 10:55 PM
I spose if you had a hd reciever hooked to a hdtv watching the ny feeds you would see the difference in quality pretty quick.

maybe they just decided they had to compete with hdtv or digital cable in ny.

now where did I put that old pos rca-hd ird...

--
Riley

Ever since i got my 1st DTiVo, my receivers have been DTiVo.

I can never go back to watching TV without a TiVo!

So i will never see HD on my TV until i get an HD DTiVo!

Hehehe

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
03-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Well that's it! I'm changing my East Coast Season Passes to
my Local Channels.

I Just did a test...

Seinfeld-The Big Salad on local channel : 612 Megs
Seinfeld-The Big Salad on Fox New-York : 1308 Megs

-Pr.

BubbleLamp
04-01-2003, 12:50 AM
This is an interesting discussion, but it still begs the question why are they doing it. Did they xfer some channels to another bird? Was there always that much free bandwidth to begin with? And why would they be using it on "normal" channels, when most of the premium channels only rarely use DD 5.1?

osetivo
04-01-2003, 12:49 PM
I finally see. "1,300 kilobytes or 1.3 megabytes per second" download from a college server explains it all. I was making a gross assumption about the cable download speeds.

My lowly "Async" DSL theoretically only gets 1500kilobit, or .18 MByte per second download and 256 kilobit, or 0.03125 MByte per second UPSTREAM.

No streaming for me with a .18MByte per second UPSTREAM choke point. :(

2ride
04-01-2003, 01:54 PM
I just noticed this same phenomena on FOX east yesterday with a couple of Simpson's episodes.

I really want to know why this is happening. How much better could an anamated show the simpson's look if it used more bandwidth?

Any ideas out there on how one could determine the acutal reason for the increase in size?

How about analyizing the stream ( ty/mpeg II ) and looking for changes to the usage of frame headers or other things?

I don't have the backround knowledge to notice if something is different but if I knew what to look for, than maybe I could figure something out.

I must add as an aside that is totally incredible to me that I can come to this forum and find a thread right at the top discussing something I have just witnessed and was curious about. Thanks DD

2ride

FreydNot
04-02-2003, 05:25 AM
Not to be too nit pickey but...

The term 'HD' really doesn't belong in your post. At best the increated bandwidth usage will get you to 'near DVD' quality. You really need to increase the pixel count signifantly to move from NTSC into HD. I would consider 1280x720 to be a minimum resolution for true High Definition content.

Damn, I must have something better to do then argue the semantics of television resolutions...

d7o
04-04-2003, 07:55 PM
here's where it gets interesting - if you burn a huge ny recording to dvd & then play it back via progressive scan player->hdtv it looks great. vserver->mplayer->geforce->hdtv lets you get the same quality w/o the hassle of burning everything to disk.

I'll shorten that step just a little bit. I'll probably have done this weekend porting the mplayer-ty changes to XBoxMediaPlayer (http://xboxmediaplayer.de). The xbox has native hdtv support (with the right A/V pack) and XBoxMediaPlayer supports hdtv. Stream hdtv movies directly from tivo to the XBoxMediaPlayer.

duo

osetivo
04-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by d7o
Stream hdtv movies directly from tivo to the XBoxMediaPlayer.
duo

Forgive me for asking what is surely a stupid question. Having an Xbox play discs full of unprocessed ty's has obvious benefits, but what is the purpose/benefit of streaming from the Tivo>XBox>TV?

Is it to play 2 separate shows on 2 different tv's? (1 TiVo/1 Xbox), or just "Because it's cool" (always valid position)

bato
04-05-2003, 12:56 AM
I said 1 hr almost 2GB, I recorded a 1hr show from Fox and it was 2.6GB, so maybe in a couple of weeks 1hr will be 4.36GB and then we can have 1 show in each DVD :eek:

Pr.Sinister
04-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by bato
I said 1 hr almost 2GB, I recorded a 1hr show from Fox and it was 2.6GB, so maybe in a couple of weeks 1hr will be 4.36GB and then we can have 1 show in each DVD :eek:

I was fed up of this crap so i switched my Season Passes to my
Local Channels.

-Pr.

bato
04-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
I was fed up of this crap so i switched my Season Passes to my
Local Channels.

-Pr.
Is there an easy way to do this? or you have to delete the current and recreate a new one with the other channel?

I wish I can only change say east for west channel, but I can't find a way to do it.

keith721
04-05-2003, 03:04 PM
. . . he can discourage extraction if he forces more bitrate down our throats ?? :rolleyes: :confused:

sorta makes me glad i have a standalone TiVo. :p