PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: workarounds to these little Tivo annoyances?

kobe
03-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Maybe you Tivo old-timers can help me.

I just got my GXCEBOT which came with Extreme 2.5. So far, so good. But here are my initial beefs:

No Stop button
When playing recorded programs, I just can't stop the playback. I have to press Advance or Live TV. But that gets me out of Now Playing! Just read in the documentation today that I can press the left arrow on the joystick. Yeah, that's intuitive!

No Power button
To "turn off" the unit, I have to go Menu, and select Standy -- which is at the bottom of the menu list. You can't press Up either because you can't navigate "up" when you're on the first item on a list. So to turn off the receiver, you need to press approximately 7 keys?! On my UTV I simply press Power...one key!

Four-digit channel numbers
Yikes! All channel numbers on DTV are currently three digits. So if I enter a three-digit channel number, I wait a couple of seconds for it to go there. Or maybe I can press 0 in front. Or press Select after the three digits. Any which way, it's annoying.

But other than these irritations, I am very happy with Tivo. I still have my UTV, but I think I'll stick with the Tivo for now.

captain_video
03-19-2003, 01:50 PM
No Stop Button -

Just hit Pause. When you want to go back to the same recorded program later on you can pick up where you left off by selecting the Resume playing option when the show is selected in the Now Showing list. If you want to exit the show you're watching, hit the Tivo button to take you to Tivo Central or hit the Guide button to get you to live TV.

No Power Button -

This is because the DTivo never shuts off. Going into standby only mutes the output at the audio and video connectors on the back panel. There is also a Standby button on the remote (Doh!). Most people don't bother with the standby mode. I've had my Xtremed DTivo lock up by pressing Standby at the wrong time so I don't even bother with it anymore.

Four-digit channel numbers -

Sometimes life just sucks, doesn't it?

BubbleLamp
03-19-2003, 01:50 PM
No Stop Button-- So, what would you do after you stopped a show? You want to watch Live TV, then do that. Want to watch something else in Now Showing, press the Tivo button twice.

You can't "turn off" a UTV any more than you can a Tivo. They both use hard drives, and those must keep running. Standby mode doesn't do much except stop the live buffer, so there is a bit less disk thrashing.

4 digit numbers. If it's less than 4, key the number and hit ENTER, or wait a second if you can't manage 2 key presses.

kobe
03-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
There is also a Standby button on the remote (Doh!). There is? I'm at the office so I can only check the manual. I do not see any Standby button.

kobe
03-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
No Stop Button-- So, what would you do after you stopped a show? You want to watch Live TV, then do that. Want to watch something else in Now Showing, press the Tivo button twice.
Here's what I wanna do when I "stop" the recorded program: delete it. If I go to Live TV, I have to find my way back to Now Playing, find that recording, then choose delete. It's a long detour to do something that UTV can do in two actions (stop, then delete).

And this is not something that I seldom do. In fact, I do this very often: get home and go thru recordings. What I don't want, I wanna delete right away. I may be going thru a dozen shows. With Tivo, it will take a long time to review them and delete ones I don't want. With UTV, it will take about a third of the time to do the same thing in Tivo.

Pardon me, but I'm getting the feeling that Tivo sent their people to a pub who then designed the software and the interface on a napkin.

Ah, maybe it's the perfectionist in me. Or maybe I just got used to UTV because I had it first.

kobe
03-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Here's what I wanna do when I "stop" the recorded program: delete it. If I go to Live TV, I have to find my way back to Now Playing, find that recording, then choose delete. It's a long detour to do something that UTV can do in two actions (stop, then delete).

And this is not something that I seldom do. In fact, I do this very often: get home and go thru recordings. What I don't want, I wanna delete right away. I may be going thru a dozen shows. With Tivo, it will take a long time to review them and delete ones I don't want. With UTV, it will take about a third of the time to do the same thing in Tivo.

Pardon me, but I'm getting the feeling that Tivo sent their people to a pub who then designed the software and the interface on a napkin.

Ah, maybe it's the perfectionist in me. Or maybe I just got used to UTV because I had it first.

BubbleLamp
03-19-2003, 04:46 PM
So two presses instead of one to delete. And that's only if you don't get close to the end of the show before you press left-arrow. Intuitive, no, simple, yes. I'll take the Tivo interface and Remote over the UTV any day of the week.