PDA

View Full Version : hdr 312

defsrg
03-20-2003, 08:26 AM
is the picture quality on this standalone as good as a directivo if one were to use the s video jack from a dtv receiver?
thanx
________
Mary jane (http://maryjanes.info/)

groundhog
03-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Some may argure otherwise, but personally, I can't tell the difference. If you use best quality, it's extremely clear & very rarely gets any picilation with minimal amounts of action. The direct tv tivo has some weird quircks some times and gets picilized for no apparent reason(maybe this got better with 2.5.2 & 3.1?) Anyway, you can't beat the dual tuners, or the amount of recording space vs. quality issues with the dtv tivo, but to answer your original question I don't think that there is much of a difference.

BubbleLamp
03-20-2003, 11:32 AM
I respectfully disagee with Groundhog. On a smaller TV screen, it may look close, but on a 50" the differences are huge. MPEG artifacts are plainly visible. And the SA Tivo doesn't even do good ProLogic stereo, it gets wrecked in the on-board MPEG encoder. Forget about true DD5.1 or DTS. IMHO, the one redeeming factor of an SA is its ability to tune OTA channels.

groundhog
03-20-2003, 04:09 PM
On a smaller TV screen, it may look close, but on a 50" the differences are huge.

Well, I tested it on a 54", but I hear that size doesn't matter :D . I never did a side-by-side comparison, but all I know is that I was a little let down when I first hooked up my dsr6000.
P.S. I also can't really tell the difference betweek composite video and S-Video, so what do I know?