PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

handiq
03-21-2003, 03:21 AM
I have my new turbonet card working, I am running xtreme 2.5 with Xpluz 2.17 or 2.18 and life is good. I am confused though.

I dont know which software to use to get the video off the tivo and on to the PC, I read and there are so many post and so many releases and then re-releases that I am concerned.

So what do I need, I read FTP and not telent, please help.

Handi

captain_video
03-21-2003, 10:01 AM
There are basically three methods for extracting from a Tivo.

1) Tytool - definitely the easiest method for extraction and recommended for beginners. You will need TeraTerm to initiate a telnet session prior to running the Tytool.exe program.

2) mfsstream via TivoWeb - This method requires that you have TivoWeb set up and running on your Tivo. It allows you to connect to your Tivo using your web browser. You can select the shows for extraction from on-screen menus.

3) mfs_ftp - this is the latest and greatest method that allows you to connect via an FTP program such as SmartFTP. You can download files froma Tivo, upload them back to the same Tivo or a different one (as long as theye were originally downloaded in tmf format), and you can also transfer files directly between Tivos using fxp transfer. Files extracted using mfs_ftp and reported to being compatible with the soon to be released TyStudio being developed by olaf_sc and several others (see his sticky thread for details).

There is a sticky thread currently running for both Tytool (by jdiner; one of the advantages of being a mod). There is also an very active thread for mfs_ftp (by rc3105). You may have to do a search for mfsstream using TivoWeb.

03-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Tystudio (Olafs new program) has extraction built in. Assuming you're not planning on re-inserting the file back in a Tivo the easiest solution is to use the extraction tool that comes with your editing pakage. Although I haven't had any problems some people have found a compatability problem with ty files extracted with tytools the new tystudio program.

Tytools is easy to use but the output needs some post-processing before other programs can use them.

The output from tyeditor (tystudio) is more standardized and (for the most part) doesn't need any post-processing.

handiq
03-21-2003, 12:58 PM
I have some more reading to do, but I also found this in one of the threads.

http://tipster.stormrad.com/tivo/extraction.html

I will see if I can find the latest tystudio info as well.

Can you let me know how good the info in the page above is before I go down the wrong path.

Thanks you guys, this is truely a great hobby!

Handi

captain_video
03-21-2003, 01:52 PM
The info on using TyTool is fine. The thread for TyStudio is one of the stickys at the top of the Tivo Extraction form started by olaf_sc. TyStudeio is still in alpha testing with a handful of select members but it is reported that it should go into beta testing in the next few days. Based on how quickly olaf and the rest of the gang have been releasing updates it's a pretty safe bet that we'll be seeing a full release very soon.

handiq
03-22-2003, 11:38 AM
I am rocking and rolling NOW!

So one last question, I have video on the pc, no dvd bunner but I do have CD burner. Whats the best tool for VCD's so I can archive my warez?

Thanks in advance

Handi

misato
03-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Different people have their respective favorites. I've had good results with Ulead DVD Workshop. (Even Version 1, believe it or not.)

Some swear by Nero, but I couldn't get Nero's menus to display on my DVD player.

With DVDWS I could set up backgrounds, autostart, buttons and thumbnails attached to different chapter points. Chapters don't have to be separate files, and DVDWS accepts program streams or elementary streams. I didn't try to do anything fancy, such as multilevel menus, but I think that would probably work.

Nero requires much less fussing about than I did with DVDWS however, and makes basic functional menus. There are of course several other candidates, but those are the 2 I've tried.

handiq
03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks misato

My next step is to get a Lite-on or Sony +/- R & RW drive! That is my only hang up now.

Handi

Anyone else have input on VCD's or DVD backups from the TIVO?

:D

VideoJoe
03-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Check out VCDEasy, plenty of features - and it's free. Check it out at VCDHelp.com