PDA

View Full Version : Creating a .ty stream from an audio file

KMan
03-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Not sure if this belongs here or not, I aplogize if this ticks of anyone, but seems like most of the people who could help are hanging out here so here it goes.

I would like to set up voicemail system on my PC and send the messages to Tivo. Seems like using mfs_ftp it would be fairly easy to insert the messages into Tivo, once you recieve the message on a vmail system. But how would I go about constructing a ty file to insert? I remember Alphawolf making a similar suggestion for an mp3 player in another thread. I would appreciate any pointers.

I would be ideal to display the message info like caller id time/date on the screen while the message is being played but I think even if the screen is black and the info is available in the program details screen it would serve the purpose.

Lastly I haven't chosen vmail software, so any pointers would be helpful, in cheap to free price range.
Thanks

03-22-2003, 06:46 AM
If you do a search I think there are CID programs for Tivo but AFAIK there is not way to convert ANY audio or vidoe format TO the ty format the TIVO uses. In other words all the conversion are FROM ty to other formats.

KMan
03-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Its not the CID part that I care about much, because that's has been well covered. But creating the tystream from scratch interests me. I thought in the earliear days there was program in that would combine a m2a and m2v file in Tivo. Since the audio is simply a mpg 2 audio, one could find a encoder that does that, but then the next step is where I am stuck at.