PDA

View Full Version : Streaming shows (watching without downloading)

gardenhose
03-22-2003, 03:06 PM
I have everything working well with TivoWeb and a TurboNet card on a series 1 original Tivo. I'm currently using mfsstream to download .ty files to my computer, where I then run tyc to convert them to .mpg and I watch them in Quicktime. (I'm on a Mac with OSX.)

Is there a way currently or in the works where I can just have mfsstream or whatever directly stream an mpg to quicktime, VLC or mplayer? Since my download is faster than real-time (14m for a 30m show over 11mpbs wireless) I imagine the network can handle it. All tyc seems to do is 'wrap' the .ty file with the proper mpg headers. Can't this be done in realtime as it streams?

Does anyone have experience with this?

gardenhose
03-23-2003, 11:26 AM
I have vplayer2. I actually even got it to compile for OSX, but the software seems to be tuned for a Tivo version < 3-- i.e. it looks for mfsstreams in /Recording/NowShowing, not NotShowingByTitle, etc. I've been hacking at it but now it's segfaulting somewhere.

Is there anything else out there besides vplay2?

DgtHorse
03-23-2003, 02:26 PM
i dont quite understand how to use this program....is there a how-to on how to work vplayer2, i have read the readme but ouch for a unix newb this is chinese to me :)

gardenhose
03-23-2003, 02:59 PM
If you have a Linux PC (x86) it should be pretty straightforward. You need vsplitmux2b (avail here somewhere) and mplayer installed. Just copy the vserver binary to your tivo and run it. (It should say "listening on port xxxx".) Then on your linux PC set up a MFS_DEVLIST env var by either using setenv (cshrc etc) or export (bash), like:

setenv MFS_DEVLIST :192.168.1.1
(where the IP addr is the IP of your tivo)

Then try it out. Run the mfs_ls binary to make sure it's communicating right. Or the mfs_stream binary to make sure it knows where your streams are. Then run vplayer2 -l to get a list of streams, and then vplayer2 FSID to start streaming a show.

However, as I noted above, this probably won't work on v3 tivo OSes. At least it doesn't for me. I'm currently checking it out and if I find anything I'll post it (along with mac osx sources.)

gardenhose
03-23-2003, 03:01 PM
(nevermind the post I overwrote here.. I got it working-- the problem was that the gcc3.1 in OSX doesn't fully support trampolining with nested functions, which the mfs stuff had a lot of.)

I succesfully streamed a show (without an intermediate download) on a v3 tivo with vplay2 over a turbonet card. However, the video and audio got out of sync really quickly. I'll look into it. I don't think it was network bound, this was over wireless to my powerbook but we usually can download a .ty in double-speed.

I'll post the code fixes when I get the sync working better, but it's a good first start!

roach
09-03-2003, 05:13 PM
the a/v sync still an issue? do you have a OS X binary? I'd really like to try and set up streaming from the tivos to my macs.