PDA

View Full Version : TyStudio - a compleat solution for extracting, editing, converting of tivo tystreams

Pages : [1] 2

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 02:53 AM
The TyStudio Project Team is proud to announce TyStudio 0.5.0 Beta 1. TyStudio is the new name of TyDemux since it's a suite of tools providing you with a complete solution for extracting, editing, and converting of tivo tystreams.

While this is still Beta software, we consider it useful for a broader audience. However you should still have in mind that it's beta software, and can cause seriously harmful damage to the health of you, your Tivo, your PC and anyone else within a 50 ft radius :). We cannot accept any liability for loss or damage to anybody or anything. If you are unsure about installing software from irresponsible people - don't do it. That said, we will move on to the nicer side of what we will bring you!

--------------------------------------
TyStudio is a GPL'ed set of tools for extracting, editing, and converting of tivo tystreams to standard video/audio formats. This is done without re-encoding, so it's a rather fast process. TyStudio is also entirely standards based; Every component of tystudio can be substituted with your favorite third party software (except tydemux of course).

TyStudio is currently under heavy development. Future abilities of TyStudio will include streaming video strait from your tivo unit, as well as the direct conversion to DVD format, to include the necessary tools for making your own DVD menus, and everything else that you could possibly want out of a DVD. This would happen a lot faster if we had more developers to help, hint hint. :)

Currently, TyStudio is comprised of the following elements:
Conversion tools:
-----------------

TyEditor: Currently the front end of TyStudio. From this tool, you can extract and edit your tystreams (or you can edit them without extracting), and pass all of the conversion options strait to the rest of the components in only a few steps.
TyDemux: This is the core of TyStudio; This program is what makes everything we do possible. For the most part, it converts tivo's proprietary tystream format to standard MPEG-2. It also corrects all types errors that are in the MPEG streams, from fixing holes, replacing missing video frames, to fixing sync problems. Eve the worst MPEG stream errors, which tivo streams are full of,don't stand a chance against it.
TyProcess: The command line interface counterpart of TyEditor.
TyTranscode: This tool handles all of the audio conversion. You can convert MPEG to AC3 (Dolby Digital), or vice versa. You can also change the sampling rates or bit rates of the audio as well. This tool is very valuable for making streams compatible with standard DVD, SVCD, or whatever other format you so desire.
TyMplex: The final step in the conversion process. Once you have your tystream converted to your liking, it is rebuilt (multiplexed) into the format of your choice by this component.

Functional tools:
-----------------

TyIndex: This is an indexing daemon that runs on your tivo and uses its spare processing time to index your shows in advance. Thi way, you do not need to wait each time you want to index a stream because its already been done for you.
TyServer: A daemon that silently runs on your tivo, awaiting requests by the other tools to list all of your recordings, get information about each recording, or directly extract any given recording Unlike most programs that already do this, this one is written entirely in C. This means that it's faster, and more stable than any other software of this kind.
TyLS: This will communicate directly with the TyServer to get a listing of your current recordings
TyGet: This tool downloads recordings on your tivo from TyServer.
TyChopper: This useful little tool allows you to cut up portions of a tystream in order to only send the bad portions of it (instead of the whole enchilada) to the authors for debugging so that they can fix the problem that your stream has for a future release

TyStudio is available from http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/index.shtml This is the homepage of TyStudio. Here you will find extensive documentation available, along with a download page.

We urge you to read all available documentation before starting, especially the installation documentation!

Systems for feature requests and bug reports are available and we urge you to use those systems - for further information see
http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/resources.shtml

TyStudio has it's own user mailing list available at http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/resources.shtml We highly recommend using, it since it will make your TyStudio experience so much more enjoyable.

Cheers

The TyStudio Team

FreydNot
03-23-2003, 03:14 AM
Sweet!!!

Thanks to everyone on the dev and alpha testing teams! Going to download and install now.

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 03:26 AM
Ahh, one thing worth noticing!!

TyIndex/TyServer doesn't support TySteams created by Tivo Software version 1.5 or older. (I.e Dino old TyStreams) we urge you not to use TyServer/TyIndex until you have removed those Dino old streams from your TIVO.

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

BubbleLamp
03-23-2003, 03:34 AM
Any chance you can zip up all the doc files so we can grab them en-mass?

alunj
03-23-2003, 04:03 AM
Hi Olaf
Thanks from us all!
One quick bug report in the installer )i cant get the bug report on sourcefire to work)

The tivo install script is downloaded as tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh

this needs to be renamed else the install script barfs

e.g.
mv tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh tyserver.ppc.sh

Alun

kangolo
03-23-2003, 04:04 AM
FYI - I had to rename the file (expected) but it didn't work until it was moved into /var

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 04:04 AM
If you grab the source file you will find them in the docs dir.

Cheers Olaf

PS: Yes will look into that - I mean ziping them up :).
PS: Please post feature request to SF, there is a page to do that at under Recources :). Keeping track of all this is kind of hard :).

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Fixed!

Originally posted by alunj
Hi Olaf
Thanks from us all!
One quick bug report in the installer )i cant get the bug report on sourcefire to work)

The tivo install script is downloaded as tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh

this needs to be renamed else the install script barfs

e.g.
mv tyserver-0.5.0-beta1.ppc.sh tyserver.ppc.sh

Alun

kangolo
03-23-2003, 04:14 AM
I'm experiencing lockups during playback after selecting a file in tystudio.

Can I adjust the priorities of tyserver & tyindex?

bato
03-23-2003, 04:30 AM
Is kind of late, but I think is a good idea to post some tips before I go to sleep, I'll check them tomorrow to edit them :D anyway, here they are (I'm using the windows version):

- if your ty is from a Dtivo and you want to create a muxed output select "Video to: DVD" and "Audio to: No Transcoding", if you keep the default "48000 (DVD)" it will be transcoded and will only take more time, you already have 48000. Maybe a future version will check the ty and then give options to transcode (i.e. grey out 48000 if it is already at 48000).

- if you want to create separate audio/video to import into Maestro then select "Video to: Elemental Stream" and see above about audio.

- the cut start/stop will eliminate all frames from start point to stop point inclusive, so you have to select for start point and stop point also frames that you don't want (not selecting the first one that you want to keep as a cut stop).

- you can use left/right arrow to move GOP by GOP, if you select shift+left or shift+right, you will jump a number of GOPs controlled by the slider "Play Speed" to the left small jumps to the right big jumps, so test it and adjust to where you fill confortable to find your cut points faster.

- save your markers before hitting process, this way you will have them to make changes fast the next time you load your ty

- after you hit process the ty will be removed from the editor but for a little bug the cut list will stay. Please clic "Remove All" after you load another ty for process, the cut list is no longer valid and maybe you will have problems with it, you already saved it, didn't you?

- take note that is no warning if you are about to overwrite a mpg file with the same name. Have to report this to get fixed for future release.

- if you output a muxed file, you can use it in the step by step that Pr.Sinister posted here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21728) and you can skip step 6 and 7. That's right, you don't need TMPGEnc simple multiplex option, so you'll save 3-6min of your time for each show.

- please remember, this is beta software, is much better than the alpha we tested from a week ago.

- if you find any bug or want to add a feature to the wishlist, please follow the links to add them to sourceforge, so the team can work on them

- to give more information about your problem check the file named "editorlog.txt" where you installed tyStudio, or, as in my case, in "C:\Documents and Settings\User\editorlog.txt"

Norco
03-23-2003, 05:02 AM
Awesome! I just checked back here for the heck of it and my eyes lit up when I saw this thread. Can't wait to give it a full run, I've been waiting for a all-in-one type of app, and really hope this makes my life easier. Thanks!

kangolo
03-23-2003, 05:10 AM
dude, sweet!

tystudio, bog std mpeg2 output, no audio transcode -> .mpeg

burn straight to cdr, plays fine on my dvd player (daeoo 3000n)

bato
03-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Norco
I've been waiting for a all-in-one type of app, and really hope this makes my life easier. Thanks!
This app will load your ty files (local or from Tivo), give you chance to edit out some parts and then more options to export. At this point can't create VOBs or burn directly to DVD. No all-in-one right now, but I guess a future version will be.

Norco
03-23-2003, 05:14 AM
Thats all I meant. I can handle authoring mpgs and such in dvd maestro and burning. By all in one I meant from Tivo > DVD ready mpg.

burriko
03-23-2003, 06:53 AM
i get this error from the tivo installer

For the indexing daemon and the tyserver to work as intended, a call
for them needs to be added to your rc.sysinit. Would you like me to
do this for you? [yes]: yes

Backing up your origional rc.sysinit to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tyserver
cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tyserver': Read-only file system
/var/tyserver.ppc.sh: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: Read-only file system

I'm guessing it's not mounting the file system as read-write.
Can someone tell me the changes that are made to rc.sysinit so i can make them manually?

UPDATE: I just tried installing it again, but this time i mounted the whole filesystem as read/write first and it seems to have worked fine.

Stephen
03-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Minor bug... On the W2K install version I installed it and went to read the copying file and the tystudio readme. Both look like they did not make it into the exe file that was downloaded (broken shortcuts and I cant find the file anywheres on the HD)

and on the TIVO server part after ftping I had to chmod 777 the file to get it to run

**Edit submited bug report to the proper area

citivolus
03-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Will this work on an HDVR2?

defsrg
03-23-2003, 09:48 AM
awesome program gentlemen just amazing. no major problems here this is great!!!

misato
03-23-2003, 09:58 AM
TyStudio is still in beta, it's good but not perfect for the Tivos we have now. AFAIK, it's not expected to work in present form on HD Tivos. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that's the case.

citivolus
03-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by misato
TyStudio is still in beta, it's good but not perfect for the Tivos we have now. AFAIK, it's not expected to work in present form on HD Tivos. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that's the case.

The HDVR2 is the new Hughes Series2 D-Tivo, not the forthcoming High Definition version.

ieatlint
03-23-2003, 10:39 AM
bug report, reposted to sourceforge. admin can delete this post.

AlphaWolf
03-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by burriko
i get this error from the tivo installer

cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tyserver': Read-only file system

Can someone tell me the changes that are made to rc.sysinit so i can make them manually?

UPDATE: I just tried installing it again, but this time i mounted the whole filesystem as read/write first and it seems to have worked fine.

Hmm...the installer should have automaticaly detected that your root partition was read only and remounted it. Is there anything abnormal about your tivo?

EDIT: All of my tests seem to indicate that it does so correctly as well...

misato
03-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by citivolus
The HDVR2 is the new Hughes Series2 D-Tivo, not the forthcoming High Definition version.

Ah, my mistake. Series 2 support is still in flux.

Stephen
03-23-2003, 11:07 AM
This isnt really a bug report so that is why I am asking here but why when copying the file from the tivo to the local pc does the CPU usage jump to 100%? with tytools it only stayed at about 3% (network traffic)

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Please report this bug on the SF bug report page!

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by burriko i get this error from the tivo installer

UPDATE: I just tried installing it again, but this time i mounted the whole filesystem as read/write first and it seems to have worked fine. [COLOR=skyblue]

AlphaWolf
03-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Stephen

and on the TIVO server part after ftping I had to chmod 777 the file to get it to run

You don't have to do that, as per what the readme says, you can just type "bash tyserver.ppc.sh", and it will run.

BTW, I just fixed the bug where the script filename has to be tyserver.ppc.sh; now it can be named anything.

burriko
03-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
Hmm...the installer should have automaticaly detected that your root partition was read only and remounted it. Is there anything abnormal about your tivo?

abnormal? no. uk tivo with just the usual hacks i.e. tivoweb, etc.
what i forgot to mention, which could be important, is that the first time i ran the installer it stopped before it had accomplished anything with an error message suggesting that it hadn't been transferred in binary mode (which i was sure it had). i then deleted the file, retransferred it and ran it again, and that is when it had trouble changing the rc.sysinit file.

i've now spent quite a few hours playing with tyStudio, and although i understand that it's still beta, i haven't been able to succesfully convert a single show so far. Everything seems to be working well, but it always hangs part way through processing. i've tried every combination of options and have tried local ty files as well as streaming from the tivo and nothing has worked so far.
i'm not going to give up though :) i'm determined to convert a whole show by the end of the day.

anyone else having similar problems?

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 11:55 AM
In regards to bug reports / feature requests.

There is nothing wrong reporting them here - [b]what is wrong is not to report them at SourceForge[b]. But before posting them check the SourceForge page so you don't double post, which is one of the main reasons to use SF.

Users can also with ease browse and see if the bug they encountered is reported or if the feature that they think is nice is already wanted by some one else.

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

defsrg
03-23-2003, 12:09 PM
when i first started this morning using small files to start 25-30mb cuts the transcoding process was very time efficient. now hen doing a full movie,roughly 1.3gb, it goes through the transcoding process e.g.
tydemuxchunks:1057 tytranscodeframe:123901 tymplex written:1296mb
after reaching the 1296mb total the program still seems to be transcoding and has not reached the process complete stage yet.this is well over an hour and a half now.when bringing up the task manager is says tystudio is running and does not say not responding so i feel thats a plus.like i said ia m not sure if i am jumping the gun for i do not have any basis to know an average transcoding time for a file this size.

captain_video
03-23-2003, 12:32 PM
I just started using TyStudio and it seems to be everything that was promised. One thing that I don't believe I ever read or ever saw mentioned is that there is no audio present when playing back the video in TyEditor. Is this normal or am I having some issues with my installation and setup or did I simply overlook something in my haste to start using the program?

shibumila
03-23-2003, 12:51 PM
I have a similar problem to defsrg.

Tivo Stand Alone
Windows XP PRO OS
I have about 8 cuts in Children of Dune Part 1
Processing DVD Video/DVD Audio (AC3)

Processing seems to be going along fine
Then nothing seems to happen
TyDemux: 1296 TyTransCode: Frame 7901 TyMplex :writen 109 MB

I monitor the file size in the OS and it's not changing.

Task Manager says App is responding, 0% CPU Utilization

defsrg
03-23-2003, 01:08 PM
well i get cpu utilization with mine like 99% on a 1.3 gig athlon, i finnalyy got tired of waiting after 2 hours and stopped it but it wasnt done i was missing about 30mb from the finished product. i am going to try an hour long tv episode and see what happens. just fyi too i was running to transcode mpeg2 with ac-3 sound

TheAvatar
03-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Okay, I haven't been able to burn a DVD yet, I have a few questions.

Does Tystudio automatical change the resolution of files when it converts to MPEG to make them DVD compatable? If not they doens't one have to change the resolution you SA TIVO is recording at (with tivoweb) to a DVD compable resoultion? I know Tivo supports 2 DVD resolutions, 720x480 and something like 350 x480, which one is better to use? What bitrates and quality stetting should I use to get best picture and smallest files? I normally record everything at HIGH quality so I guess I would want to change HIGH quality settings to something that will still look good, and will be easy to convert to DVD

AlphaWolf
03-23-2003, 01:17 PM
The compressed space (no re-encoding) resolution scaling is planned for the future, its not implimented yet.

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Hello

:) No it only plays the video, it's not a player it's a GOP bound TyStream editor.

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

Originally posted by captain_video
I just started using TyStudio and it seems to be everything that was promised. One thing that I don't believe I ever read or ever saw mentioned is that there is no audio present when playing back the video in TyEditor. Is this normal or am I having some issues with my installation and setup or did I simply overlook something in my haste to start using the program?

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Problem at the end of processing

This is a bug (hence you people how experince it - please do a bug report including your email so we can contact you).

Now how to work around this problem?

Well when you see that TyEditor has come to a stand still - wait 2 min and then simply kill TyEditor.

You will probably miss a little bit of the end but if you record a bit more it should not be a major issue.

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

jjjones
03-23-2003, 01:25 PM
[i]

i've now spent quite a few hours playing with tyStudio, and although i understand that it's still beta, i haven't been able to succesfully convert a single show so far. Everything seems to be working well, but it always hangs part way through processing. i've tried every combination of options and have tried local ty files as well as streaming from the tivo and nothing has worked so far.
i'm not going to give up though :) i'm determined to convert a whole show by the end of the day.

anyone else having similar problems? [/B]

Same here. The program stalls on ty conversion whether from the TiVo box or from my pc.

kangolo
03-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Everything runs much smoother with tyindex and tyserver reniced

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 01:37 PM
What "nice" level did you set tyserver/tyindex to?

By deafult the priority is set to fifo 1. If possible could you check what priortiy they use before you renice them - i.e. kill and restart.

If it's not fifo 1 - please report this bug.

If it's so that they are running fifo 1 and you "reniced" them what priority are you using now?

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by kangolo
Everything runs much smoother with tyindex and tyserver reniced

ronnythunder
03-23-2003, 01:37 PM
maybe kinda ot, but.. does anyone know of an alternate download source for the qt package? i need to build a custom tydemux because of my bug from this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=89596#post89596) post that still exists in tystudio (yes, i've entered it into the bug tracker at sf).

also, shouldn't i be able to build the non-gui tools without qt (e.g. tydemux)? when i try to load the dsw file in the vc6 dir, my ms visual studio just sits there as if i didn't load anything. does the dsw file work?

ronny

alunj
03-23-2003, 01:40 PM
anyone care to give me a pointer to renice for tivo?
ALso my nowshowing updated when I first installed but it hasnt
since. I have spotted a few zombie server procs too..

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 01:41 PM
You only need QT to build the GUI, the other components of TyStudio doesn't depend on QT.

You can download QT from www.trolltech.com - as indicated in the download page.

Thanks for reporting the bug - will check it out - thing been kind of hectic lately :).

Cheers

Originally posted by ronnythunder
maybe kinda ot, but.. does anyone know of an alternate download source for the qt package? i need to build a custom tydemux because of my bug from this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=89596#post89596) post that still exists in tystudio (yes, i've entered it into the bug tracker at sf).

also, shouldn't i be able to build the non-gui tools without qt (e.g. tydemux)? when i try to load the dsw file in the vc6 dir, my ms visual studio just sits there as if i didn't load anything. does the dsw file work?

ronny

TheAvatar
03-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Come one, toss a newbie a bone!
What resolution setting (720 or 352?), bitrate and quality setting should I use to tget the best quality/smallest size ty files for DVD conversion?

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 01:46 PM
For some freaking reason tyserver always leaves one (1) zombie (not yet figured out why) however it's always cleaned up the next time you connect.

Cheers

Originally posted by alunj
anyone care to give me a pointer to renice for tivo?
ALso my nowshowing updated when I first installed but it hasnt
since. I have spotted a few zombie server procs too..

ronnythunder
03-23-2003, 01:56 PM
sorry, i thought i said it in my post; the trolltech site appears to be down, which is why i was asking about alternate download sites. of course i saw the link on the sf documentation page.

any pointers regarding building just tydemux from the sources? i'm still having no luck with the dsw file.

ronny

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Ahh

If you check out from CVS you will find the QT package under packages, alternativly you can download it from

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/dvd-create/tydemux/packages/QtWin230-NonCommercial.exe?rev=1.1&content-type=application/octet-stream

Note you will also need mjpeg_play - it's avalible on our download page (well it wasn't but it is now)

Cheers Olaf

sorry, i thought i said it in my post; the trolltech site appears to be down, which is why i was asking about alternate download sites. of course i saw the link on the sf documentation page.

any pointers regarding building just tydemux from the sources? i'm still having no luck with the dsw file.

ronny

burriko
03-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by burriko

i've now managed to succesfully convert several shows using local ty files on my pc (extracted using tytools). If i use tyeditor to stream the show from the tivo the process always hangs part way through.
i thought i'd try tyget to pull the ty files from the tivo instead of tytools, but it crashes every single time without giving any error message and only creates a zero byte output file. That's under windows xp.

captain_video
03-23-2003, 02:21 PM
I ran a ty file through TyStudio Editor, set my cut start and end points, set Video to Elemental Streams and audio to No Transcoding. During the processing segment I got the error message:

"Fatal:demux: We can't close the gop in this cut - choose another frame for your cut."

There was no indication where the cut in question occurred in the ty file so its anybody's guess where the error occurred. At this point the program locked up and wouldn't respond. After a couple of minutes I got the familiar "Program not reponding" window that comes with Task Manager. The program shut down and didn't save anything. I see now that I have the option to save the markers in a file and will do so from now on.

Hobby
03-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Quick question

I installed tyserver.ppc.sh per the directions. All went well and I can get the Nowshowing list. In the Nowshowing list it states that all of my recordings are indexed, However, when I try to either extract or edit a show, I get an error that says:

"Failed to open the selected show" - when Editing directly from the TiVo.

Or when I try to copy to PC first - it hangs at 0% downloaded.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or something I need to do first?

--Hobby--

defsrg
03-23-2003, 02:53 PM
when i first started this morning using small files to start 25-30mb cuts the transcoding process was very time efficient. now hen doing a full movie,roughly 1.3gb, it goes through the transcoding process e.g.
i did my first 1 hour long tv show which started at 820mb and after editing commercials was down to about 580mb, processed w/o a problem. educated guess could be pertained to file size that is causing the program to lock up.have only done the 2 files so specualtion is not accurate but we start at a preliminary number of 1 gig. like i said these are just preliminary specualtions.nothing set in stone.

I ran a ty file through TyStudio Editor, set my cut start and end points, set Video to Elemental Streams and audio to No Transcoding. During the processing segment I got the error message:
i too had this happen capt. went backward one frame to acheive success on one and then forward to acheive another, so i am sure its just a matter of playing and recognizing where to ut and where not too.
i did however have success importing the one i did into dvd movie factory after using dvd patcher to patch the first header. so far i am very pleased with this program.
good job guys!!!

bato
03-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by TheAvatar
Come one, toss a newbie a bone!
What resolution setting (720 or 352?), bitrate and quality setting should I use to tget the best quality/smallest size ty files for DVD conversion?
Check this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12736) for more information.

Best quality is in the eye of the beholder, so you need to check yourself what works with you.

Smallest size will be the smaller bitrate you put there, so you have to try some resolution/bitrate and check what is good for you.

If I were you I'll stick to 352x480, it looks good if you have good bitrate. Some people in other forums always capture 352x480@2.5mbit and they think the quality/size is good for them.

BubbleLamp
03-23-2003, 02:57 PM
I just ran into this problem, and discovered the post below on Sourceforge. So before you assume the app is frozen, check your other buttons!

If you are using a non-Microsoft mouse, you may find that
once you launch TyEditor that you lose you custom mouse
mappings, both in the editor, and in other apps. This
happens with the Logitech Mouseware v 9.75. If you close
the editor with the unmapped buttons, then the mapping
is returned to what it should be.

misato
03-23-2003, 02:58 PM

"Fatal:demux: We can't close the gop in this cut - choose another frame for your cut."

I've seen this myself (if you were to generate mpg files rather than Elementary Streams it would complete, but AV sync would be way off by the end of the file). In fact I spent about 8 hours the other evening ftp'ing a stream that does this to Olaf's server. Work continues in this area, so rest assured that TyStudio's vulnerability to failure on some streams is being worked on. This is nothing you did wrong.

laserfan
03-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Great to see this at last! My Tivo and hard drives have all filled-up.

The first SA TyTool (tserver_mfs output) ty that I tried worked well outputting Elemental streams from TyEditor (and finally into SpruceUp), but less well outputting to "DVD" or mpg, which was the first attempt I made. But I must say for the problems I encountered w/TyEditor, I do really like the UI--very good job on this! A list of the issues though:

1. Opened & indexed w/TyEditor, edited and Processed to DVD, and it stopped 85% thru w/dialog "We can't close the gop in this cut - choose another frame for your cut." But the dialog would not close and the program was hung with the hourglass up. The good news is that it had indeed output the file to the point where it hung, so I could guess at where the bad gop cutpoint was.

2. Tried it again which included re-editing from scratch (this time saving a cut file in case it crashed again!) and did pick another place than the bad one. TyEditor stopped w/the Cancel/progress dialog up. I had to Cancel but fortunately the edited mpg file was there nonetheless. Note I tried making a "DVD mpg" file 4 times and TyEditor never quit normally for me. This time the mpg was good to Almost the end but the cutpoint ended the program sooner than expected.

3. Having limited success w/accurate endpoint, I tried outputting the whole file (a small 622Mb half-hour program) without edits, but neither of my usual editing programs (Canopus MPEG Cutter and MPEG-VCR) liked the mpg (Canopus not at all, and MPEG-VCR didn't get thru the whole mpg).

At this point I gave up and tried Elemental streams, which as for all cases included 48000Hz resampling, and the edited output worked great w/SpruceUp as I said.

I'm going to try some more tys (again, all grabbed w/jdiner's tool, which I know you've said could be problematic) but I think the only critique I can offer at this point is that it seems odd to me that TyEditor would require that an imported tystream be Indexed every time you input it. It seemed unnecessary to me that I would have to wait for the thing to be indexed again since it had already been done before (but then again I don't really know what it is doing in this regard).

In any case I am happy for now because what I really want to do is author to DVD, and the Elemental Streams output appears to work just great!

Thanks for all the hard work folks.

kangolo
03-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by olaf_sc
What "nice" level did you set tyserver/tyindex to?

By deafult the priority is set to fifo 1. If possible could you check what priortiy they use before you renice them - i.e. kill and restart.

If it's not fifo 1 - please report this bug.

If it's so that they are running fifo 1 and you "reniced" them what priority are you using now?

Cheers Olaf

I reniced them using 20 - which sets it to 13 (the lowest I think).
Not sure about the fifo thing - how would I check?

It seemed a lot better, with no interruption of playback / recordings that I got last night.

btw - the editor is excellent for simple commercial cuts, I'm processing one now - and it works fine via RDP.

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 04:47 PM
We have problems with tyserver/tyindex comunicating with Windows. I have to do more debuging in this area.

In the mean time if you have problems downloading files please use mfs_ftp instead of tytool.

Cheers

ronnythunder
03-23-2003, 04:53 PM
i had a problem trying to do a movie. i downloaded it completely from the tivo first, then i was generating the mpg file after selecting a cutlist of one cut. it got to 1885mb written (no transcoding, of course) then the numbers stop changing, no more gets written to the mpg file, but cpu stays busy.

this is on ntfs, so it's not a 2gb thing.

also (i'm not begging, really), has anyone had any luck building on windows from the source? i got the mjpeg_tools and adjusted the paths in the tydemux.dsw file, but i still can't get it to go. any tips?

ronny

Neutronflux
03-23-2003, 05:05 PM
I posted this message on the Alpha test email list -- Nice to see that this TY editing suite is now available for everyone to enjoy --

I installed Ty Alpha 1.15 -- and something crapped out - now the program is TOTALLY hosed and I can't run it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled, but no go. When I try to run it my hard drive goes crazy and my ram gets majorly choked up. I don't want to have to reinstall my system to get TyEditor back up and running!

Can someone, or the gurus list which files are installed where so I can manually hunt them down and delete them for a fresh install? [like dll's etc].

If not, does anyone know of a program that I can use to track the installed files which are being loaded during the program installation?

Thanks!

laserfan
03-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Along w/Neutronflux request I noted that after running Setup on my W2K SP3 system, W2K complained that it put some old system files on my PC and wanted the original install disk, which I declined to do.

Others have mentioned a "readme" which I don't have, and in fact the links on my Start menu to txt files are broken also. I wonder if Setup worked properly? In any case it appears that TyEditor has worked great to trim and output Elementary streams which have imported to SpruceUp without error. I'm currently happily burning my first full-length DVD!

newlooper
03-23-2003, 05:42 PM
I have had great success with the program. I have a few boogered up streams but other than that, they have produced a viewable mpg.

My question is, what can I use to burn with? DVDworkshop says it "failed to convert video".

Any help would be great.:confused:

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Whats the file size of the TyStream? Further more if it's significatly bigger please report this as bug to SourceFourge.

I had luck building it from source ;). What is the error msg you get?

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

i had a problem trying to do a movie. i downloaded it completely from the tivo first, then i was generating the mpg file after selecting a cutlist of one cut. it got to 1885mb written (no transcoding, of course) then the numbers stop changing, no more gets written to the mpg file, but cpu stays busy.

this is on ntfs, so it's not a 2gb thing.

also (i'm not begging, really), has anyone had any luck building on windows from the source? i got the mjpeg_tools and adjusted the paths in the tydemux.dsw file, but i still can't get it to go. any tips?

ronny

olaf_sc
03-23-2003, 06:06 PM
This URL lists files installed by the setup program.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvd-create/tydemux/installer/win32/tydemux.iss?rev=1.9&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Cheers Olaf

AlphaWolf
03-23-2003, 06:43 PM
gahhhh.....not even been a day this thread spans 5 pages....

were gonna have a real mess on our hands soon :)

bronco13
03-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Seriously, I'm gonna have to quit my job in order to read through all of this...

This is truly impressive... Where do we donate?

mrblack51
03-23-2003, 07:05 PM
not too bad at all...just wait till the slashdot effect hits. course, we havent been slashdot'd yet...

jasonber
03-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Freakin' awesome!!

One feature request:

I converted a Ty file to MPEG2...I'd love the ability to import that file, since I deleted the original Ty.

All I did was run it through TyConverterX, so I never modified it in any other way.

KEC
03-23-2003, 08:37 PM
The ty file is from a DTivo running 3.1. The commands below were performed on a PC running W2K(sp3) .

I used tyeditor to create six cut files that would only leave one show segment. I then used tyedit to process each of the cut files. I had tyeditor create elementary streams with no transcoding for each segment. (6 video and 6 audio files.)

I then used commands very similar to those in splitmux.bat to transcode the audio files to 44.1KHz. (BeSweet converts the extracted audio file to a 48KHz wav file. ssrc was used to create a 44.1Khz wav file. toolame was used to encode the 44.1KHz wav file and create the 44.1KHz MPEG layer 2 audio file.

I used tymplex to multiple the video file and the 44.1KHz audio file.

After doing that for all 6 show segments, I added the 6 multiplexed files to a Nero SVCD project.

With one exception, the resulting SVCD plays well on my newer Daewoo DVD player and does a little worse on my older Apex 703.

Both DVD players have trouble at the end of the show segments. The last several seconds fails to play on both players. The DVD players seem to stall for a few moments, and then start the next segment. The Apex 703 seems to have sections were the video does not play smoothly. I wonder if those sections exceed the official SVCD max bitrate.

References:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20056&perpage=15&pagenumber=27

My initial bat file that performs the 48->44.1KHz commands is provided below. Use at your own risk.

@echo off
REM ********************************************************************
REM * 48_44.1.bat - transcode 48KHz to 44.1 KHz m2a
REM *
REM * Needs the following programs, all freely downloadable from the net
REM * besweet.exe, toolame.exe, ssrc.exe
REM *
REM * NOTE
REM * This was derived from splitmux created by John Barrett (MrBassMan)
REM * Edit the toolame arguments to suit your needs/desires.
REM *
REM * Author: John Barrett (MrBassMan)
REM * Author: Kevin Cribbs
REM * This is open source, feel free to copy or change it.
REM * The authors accept no responsibility for any loss or damage.
REM * Use this at your own risk.
REM *
REM ********************************************************************

SETLOCAL

rem if "%TEMP%"=="" goto NOSETVARS

REM ***************************************************
REM * Run audio transcoding

echo Transcoding audio

BeSweet.exe -core( -input %1 -output %TEMP%\48.wav -2ch )

if NOT errorlevel 0 goto :BESWEETERROR
rename %1 %1.orig

ssrc.exe --quiet --rate 44100 --twopass %TEMP%\48.wav %TEMP%\44.1.wav

if NOT errorlevel 0 goto SSRCERROR
erase %TEMP%\48.wav

toolame.exe -m j -b 160 -e %TEMP%\44.1.wav %1

erase %TEMP%\44.1.wav

goto DONETRANSCODE

:NOSETVARS
echo Expected a value for the TEMP directory
goto DONETRANSCODE

:BESWEETERROR
echo Error running BeSweet
erase %TEMP%\48.wav
goto DONETRANSCODE

:SSRCERROR
echo Error running ssrc
erase %TEMP%\48.wav %TEMP%\44.1.wav
goto DONETRANSCODE

:TOOLAMEERROR
echo Error running toolame
erase %TEMP%\44.1.wav %1

REM * All done
:DONETRANSCODE

saltydog4791
03-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Well, from my limited use of this on windoze, I am quite impressed and it's only gonna get better. But what is the word on the os x build? I will gladly send in a nice donation once my mac can start grinding away on my tys.

saltydog4791

Pr.Sinister
03-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Nice job on the TyStudio...

So far i've only had time to try it on 2 TyStreams but i have a
problem. My cuts are grossly inaccurate. For example, i have
a Bernie Mac episode where at the end, Bernie talks to the
camera, pauses, fades to black, the a grey screen appears before
the commercial. So i put the start of the cut on the grey screen
and the end of the cut, at the end of the show.

Well when i play the output in PowerDVD (Have to cause WMP
is waaaaayyyy out of sync), Bernie does his speech and right in
the middle, the mpeg is finished. So i'm missing the last 10 secs
of the show.

Also, i was under the impression that the output was a totally
legal and error free MPEG? I created the MPEG without any cuts
and loaded it into MPEG2-VCR v3.13 and i was unable to seek
properly. So i ran it through the GOP Fixer and it fixed 1700+
errors and i was then able to seek properly. But then when i did
my cuts, it created a file with all the video properly edited out
but the audio was the original one. So basically i had some
American Idol audio in my Bernie Mac show.

Any help appreciated...

-Pr.

bato
03-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
So i'm missing the last 10 secs
of the show.
I also reported this and I think the problem is with the buffers reaching the final (this only happen at the end without cuts or just before the last cut). So in the mean time if you place a last cut, put the cut start 5 or so frames after the frame you realy want it.

bds42
03-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Hi-

Just finished processing my first stream (an hour show that I cut out the beginning, end, and a bunch of commercials)..

At pretty much the end of processing I get an error message that says:

ERROR: demux: error: Audio frame size error - unable to fetch a good one

Seems like the resulting mpg is complete... and plays on the pc... have not burned it yet. Should I be concerned about that error?

Thanks for the great tool!

captain_video
03-23-2003, 10:20 PM
I tried to do a "Save as" on a 2-hour episode of Children of Dune that I spent about 15 minutes editing the commercials out of and TyEditor simply crashed andf I lost all of my cut points. Now I get to try it for a third time (the first time it didn't like my cut points and froze up). I guess now I know what it's like to be a beta tester. I'm not complaining because I know how much effort has gone into this program and I also know that the developers will eventually get the kinks worked out of it. For now, I'll keep playing with it and try to feel out the bugs and quirks and see what I can do to work around them until they get fixed. All in all, a terrific little program that shows enormous potential.

RxMan
03-23-2003, 10:27 PM
I had similiar problems with the cut at the end of a show (which I reported as an alpha tester with no response).

Bato,

I tried moving the last cut only 2 frames more than needed and the resulting mpeg actually went 10 secs longer. So, my 1st attempt cut off 10 secs from the end and the 2nd attmept extended 10 secs past the end.

TheSaint
03-23-2003, 10:27 PM
I too am having this problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled without improvement. The tyeditor is running as a process and just gets larger and larger. I finally just have to end it. The GUI never appears.

Initially, it was loading just fine. Processed several local ty's. I did have the problem where at the end of the process it would just sit there and not say completed. I was able to cancel without problem. It would restart after that. However, one of these times that I cancelled and killed the process apparently buggered something up.

I need details how to remove(more thoroughly) or repair what's been hosed.

Thanks,
TheSaint

Originally posted by Neutronflux
I posted this message on the Alpha test email list -- Nice to see that this TY editing suite is now available for everyone to enjoy --

I installed Ty Alpha 1.15 -- and something crapped out - now the program is TOTALLY hosed and I can't run it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled, but no go. When I try to run it my hard drive goes crazy and my ram gets majorly choked up. I don't want to have to reinstall my system to get TyEditor back up and running!

Can someone, or the gurus list which files are installed where so I can manually hunt them down and delete them for a fresh install? [like dll's etc].

If not, does anyone know of a program that I can use to track the installed files which are being loaded during the program installation?

Thanks!

bato
03-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Also, i was under the impression that the output was a totally
legal and error free MPEG? I created the MPEG without any cuts
and loaded it into MPEG2-VCR v3.13 and i was unable to seek
properly. So i ran it through the GOP Fixer and it fixed 1700+
errors and i was then able to seek properly. But then when i did
my cuts, it created a file with all the video properly edited out
but the audio was the original one. So basically i had some
American Idol audio in my Bernie Mac show.

I used some time mpeg2vcr v3.11 and suddenly all the editing done with it lost sync in a bad way so I never used since. I updated to 3.14, found that one perfectly playing muxed mpg created with tyStudio and work great with PowerDVD said that have hundreds of type 1 and 3 errors (1- GOP time code 3- GOP size errors), I "fixed" the GOP time code errors, it plays ok in PowerDVD (like always) but in mpeg2vcr it lost audio sync, so I guess something in my system is making mpeg2vcr crap on me. I'll try it again on a fresh install.

EDIT: I "fixed" the type 3 errors with mpeg2vcr and now the audio sync is kept in mpeg2vcr (no problems with PowerDVD). So maybe the "errors" is not that the mpeg is legal but it is not standard (GOPs with diff sizes, resolution not standard for DVD and those things).

laserfan
03-23-2003, 10:39 PM
I've now burned 2 DVDs from tserver_mfs tys, one of 4.2Gb, and they are both perfect. Many thanks guys! Will look forward to trying the Tivo software after I've processed a number of already-extracted files. Process couldn't be simpler, though it is a bit time-consuming:

1. Open w/TyEditor (indexing takes a couple minutes)
2. Edit and Process as Elementary streams (includes resample/transcoding of 32kHz audio to 48k). Editing is easy, Processing is lengthy.
3. Import to SpruceUp (lengthy check process).
4. Make as "First Play" item and Export as Title Set.
5. Check Title Set (VIDEO_TS) using Hollywood Plus card.
6. Burn as DVD UDF/ISO with Nero.

I'm delirious here! Thanks again, it has already exceeded my expectations.

bato
03-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
I had similiar problems with the cut at the end of a show (which I reported as an alpha tester with no response).

Bato,

I tried moving the last cut only 2 frames more than needed and the resulting mpeg actually went 10 secs longer. So, my 1st attempt cut off 10 secs from the end and the 2nd attmept extended 10 secs past the end.
I reported it as alpha tester also and get the buffers answer.

I guess the keyframes we see are the first from a GOP (group of pictures?) that create the video. Maybe wher you cut your GOPs are big?

Change to Frame counter (ctrl+F) and see how many frames are with each right arrow press.

I made a perfect cut when the total number of frames were 8. Original cut start 3514 changed to 3522).

citivolus
03-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by rc3105
we've got 1 developer with a s2. he's chasing other issues right this minute but I'm trolling for a cheap s2 & we'll get vserver ported fairly soon one way or another.

--
Riley

great, thanks.

ronnythunder
03-23-2003, 11:44 PM
now that i look, the ty is not much bigger, so maybe it was at the end anyway.

as for building from the source, i don't get any error! i laid down the tarball and the mjpeg_play tarball, and when i try to open the dsw file in vs6.0, it just acts like i opened an empty file. the class and file views are empty.

are there any environment variables or the like that i need to set? all i did was lay down the tarballs and launch vs6.0 on the dsw file; are there other steps?

thanks

ronny

Whats the file size of the TyStream? Further more if it's significatly bigger please report this as bug to SourceFourge.

I had luck building it from source ;). What is the error msg you get?

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

dlang
03-24-2003, 12:07 AM
I attempted to trim commercials out of a Good Eats episode and it went through to about the end and then tystudio hung, it had one process running eating 96+% of the CPU

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 12:35 AM
No, it of no importance if you see one or two of that message at the end.

Cheers

Originally posted by bds42
Hi-

Just finished processing my first stream (an hour show that I cut out the beginning, end, and a bunch of commercials)..

At pretty much the end of processing I get an error message that says:

ERROR: demux: error: Audio frame size error - unable to fetch a good one

Seems like the resulting mpg is complete... and plays on the pc... have not burned it yet. Should I be concerned about that error?

Thanks for the great tool!

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Okay in regards to GOPs- if you get a gop timecode error - then it's a bug please report!

GOP size error - unless we do some smart rencoding we will have GOP size errors now and then. Basically the DVD std says 18 frames/GOP but Tivo can have a lot more I have seen up to 50 frames in one GOP.

Hence the first one is a bug and should be reported and the latter one is a feature request - hence submit if you think it's important.

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 12:52 AM
Ahh just to let you all know - I (Olaf) will take one or two days of hacking TyStudio. Coding has been very hectic the last months - usually 40-50h / week plus my day time job.

Hence I'm pretty burned out - however it's not only me in the team - but I thought it was good to let you all know. The team will also discuss how often we will release new beta versions of TyStudio.

We have as you all know a number of bug reports to attend to.

Cheers Olaf

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 01:01 AM
In regards to donations,

There has been a few posts in regards to donations. Just so you all know I can only speak for my self here - need further discussion with the team.

Anyhow it's in my view something that really isn't needed. What we need is very good bug reports. Beside I don't want to feel that you paid me to progam. I do this because I like it and that I want to have a great tool my self - basically for fun.

There is however one thing I can think about that would help us a lot. We are using QT for the GUI now there are free versions of this for Linux, Windows and Mac. However the version of each one is different and the Mac one is dependent of X11.

If we had a the profesional version of QT for Mac and Windows our life would be so much simpler. (Especially for Mac since building the QT/X11 for Mac is a royal pain in the @##@). This is so far the only thing I can think of that would help us a lot, i.e. donations towards a profesional QT for MAC/Windows - however I need to discuss it with my Team mates.

Cheers Olaf

bato
03-24-2003, 01:12 AM
tivo mpeg can be variable bit rate. this really trips up some authoring /playback sw. tydemux/tystudio mpeg IS legal but may not necessarily be what your sw is looking for. try these sites for general mpeg info.

www.doom9.org

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/

--
Riley
I believe is legal, I was just saying that mpeg2vcr say it have a lot of errors and I don't know how they are measured, because PowerDVD works great, MovieFactory can import them, and the result DVD plays great without ever fixing the output from tyStudio. If they weren't legal then many of this steps will crap, so I guess mpeg2vcr put as errors what is not.

bato
03-24-2003, 01:21 AM
Okay in regards to GOPs- if you get a gop timecode error - then it's a bug please report!
Mpeg2vcr say the muxed mpg have many gop timecode errors, so are you telling me that if this software say the mpg have errors then it's a bug? I don't know other software to check that.

GOP size error - unless we do some smart rencoding we will have GOP size errors now and then. Basically the DVD std says 18 frames/GOP but Tivo can have a lot more I have seen up to 50 frames in one GOP.
Yep, it took around 10min for a 22min show to reencode and create the new file, jumped from 352MB to 402MB, and it wasn't a good job, some video was cut at the end, so I don't know how good my system is with mpeg2vcr.

Hence the first one is a bug and should be reported and the latter one is a feature request - hence submit if you think it's important.
Well I'll submit the bug, but first I'll test with a clean system install.

ronnythunder
03-24-2003, 01:21 AM
olaf and team: great work so far! the project definitely seems to be headed in the right direction. i'm sure most of us whiners :) are really grateful for the work you guys have put into this.

having said that.. :) i'm still having build problems, so here's an idea: if anyone else has successfully built from the windows sources, can you do an "export makefile" from your project and post it here? maybe i could get that to work more easily than doing some voodoo to the dsw file (plus, i understand makefiles a lot better!).

sorry, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but i have to have a hack in tydemux to process a "food 911" episode that i have, and it's the sixth of six episodes that i'm putting on a dvd (yeah, i know, and you had to walk three miles through the snow, uphill, both ways to school, too! :) )

thanx

ronny

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 01:22 AM
:) I would never say that MPEG is leagal - it's such a loose standard that basically anything can be compliant with it.

However the SVCD/DVD standard setting up parameters for what is to regarded as SVCD/DVD compliant MPEG.

TyStudio in this case (Ty)Mplex/TyDemux tries to do it's best to meet the SVCD/DVD parameters for MPEG. Things that we can't do much about if we don't want to alter the MPEG it self is Bitrate, Resolution, GOP size. Hence you can fail to multiplex to SVCD mpeg since the bitrate was to high. Your DVD player may complain that the GOP size is too big (very silly for a software DVD player).

However if you choose Generic MPEG2 as ouput I can say that we are following the few constraints that are present in the MPEG2 specification and that the video should play without any error in a MPEG2 compatible player.

Now if you e.g. get seek error in your MPEG2 player due to the fact that we have (possible bug) a error in the GOP time stamp. Well then it's a bug in your player - or rather it's *****ic programming. Let me qoute the MPEG2 Video standard document.

----
6.3.8 Group of pictures header
[snip]
NOTE - The information carried by time_code plays no part in the decoding process.
----
(The time_code - is here refereing to the SMTPE timestamp present in the GOP header)

Further more GOP headers are actually optional - a mpeg2 player should be able to play even if there is no GOP headers what so ever in the stream. They are there purlely to make it easier to do random access.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Interesting how "your" legal MPEGs don't work in some places either. :rolleyes:

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 01:23 AM
Okay send me your email and I will Zip up my windows build.

Cheers Olaf

olaf and team: great work so far! the project definitely seems to be headed in the right direction. i'm sure most of us whiners :) are really grateful for the work you guys have put into this.

having said that.. :) i'm still having build problems, so here's an idea: if anyone else has successfully built from the windows sources, can you do an "export makefile" from your project and post it here? maybe i could get that to work more easily than doing some voodoo to the dsw file (plus, i understand makefiles a lot better!).

sorry, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but i have to have a hack in tydemux to process a "food 911" episode that i have, and it's the sixth of six episodes that i'm putting on a dvd (yeah, i know, and you had to walk three miles through the snow, uphill, both ways to school, too! :) )

thanx

ronny

ronnythunder
03-24-2003, 01:29 AM
olaf, i'd be very grateful. you can send it to "ronny at barnesreunion.org"

thanks a bunch

ronny

Okay send me your email and I will Zip up my windows build.

Cheers Olaf

BubbleLamp
03-24-2003, 01:33 AM
:) I would never say that MPEG is leagal - it's such a loose standard that basically anything can be compliant with it.

However the SVCD/DVD standard setting up parameters for what is to regarded as SVCD/DVD compliant MPEG.

TyStudio in this case (Ty)Mplex/TyDemux tries to do it's best to meet the SVCD/DVD parameters for MPEG. Things that we can't do much about if we don't want to alter the MPEG it self is Bitrate, Resolution, GOP size. Hence you can fail to multiplex to SVCD mpeg since the bitrate was to high. Your DVD player may complain that the GOP size is too big (very silly for a software DVD player).

However if you choose Generic MPEG2 as ouput I can say that we are following the few constraints that are present in the MPEG2 specification and that the video should play without any error in a MPEG2 compatible player.

Now if you e.g. get seek error in your MPEG2 player due to the fact that we have (possible bug) a error in the GOP time stamp. Well then it's a bug in your player - or rather it's *****ic programming. Let me qoute the MPEG2 Video standard document.

----
6.3.8 Group of pictures header
[snip]
NOTE - The information carried by time_code plays no part in the decoding process.
----
(The time_code - is here refereing to the SMTPE timestamp present in the GOP header)

Further more GOP headers are actually optional - a mpeg2 player should be able to play even if there is no GOP headers what so ever in the stream. They are there purlely to make it easier to do random access.

Cheers Olaf

Ok, so now the spec is so loose that nobody/everybody is "compliant". Face it guys, time to eat crow.:o

rc3105
03-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Ok, so now the spec is so loose that nobody/everybody is "compliant". Face it guys, time to eat crow.:o

for what? producing sw that actually works?

tivo mpg isn't dvd mpg or svcd mpg. regular dvd players weren't designed to play it. using tools (sw or hw) originally designed for that is a recipe for problems.

fill your car up with diesel instead of unleaded and it doesn't work so well either. (duh)

if you want 100% complience with your favorite flavor of the mpeg spec you have to transcode it or reconfig the tivo mpeg encoder chip.

so far olaf has produced the tools that do the best job of shoehorning tivo streams into a generally usable format. the files are good. the content inherits the tivo "flavor".

--
Riley

edit: durn typos...

Pr.Sinister
03-24-2003, 01:53 AM

get sw that can handle vbr or config your tivo to produce cbr. (not an option for us dtivo owners)

Do you have a software you would recommend that handles
VBR properly?

-Pr.

Gruph
03-24-2003, 02:15 AM
Olaf,

I noticed in the TyStudio Editor that when displaying the timecode stamp, it is based fully on time. For example, the timestamp of "00:18:49.811" is 0 hours, 18 minutes, 49.811 seconds into the video.

Based on SMPTE timecodes, SMPTE time code is representing hours, minutes, seconds, frames, and some additional user/specified information such as tape number. For instance, the time code
number 01:12:59:16 represents a picture 1 hour, 12 minutes, 59 seconds, and 16 frames into the tape.

(some of that is quoted from a web page I found by doing a search on google for "smpte time code")

Anyway, the concern is that the last item is not the number of frames. I understand that the timestamp in the editor is nowhere quoted to be an SMPTE time stamp.. but if that is what is being coded, that may be why MPEG2-VCR is reporting the GOP timestamp errors.

Just an FYI: I'm running MPEG2-VCR as well. The GOP size errors are VERY obvious to me, as it is checking for DVD compliance.

Thanks for making the effort of the GOP time code correction. It helps alot when we're doing a lot of random seaking in other software.

So... Ultimately, my question here is this: is that timestamp that shows up in the editor the timestamp that's put in for the GOP time code? If so, what do we need to do to get it sumitted as a bug so that it'll eventually get worked on?

Thanks for all your hard work on this project! It's turning out to be pretty cool! And as far as the professional version of QT: How much does it run for windows and how much for the Mac? (or is it just one package?)

Thanks again, TyStudio team!

-Gruph

rc3105
03-24-2003, 02:21 AM
VBR properly?

-Pr.

for working with mpeg from dtivo streams I've used spruce, b's recorder gold, ulead dvd workshop & videostudio, premiere, IDVD, the mjpeg lavtools, mpeg mediator, toast & roxio, ifoedit.... durned if I can remember it all. my apexes play pretty much anything I burn to disk.

check the forums I posted links to. tivo mpeg is similiar to that recorded with pc capture cards from tv / hdtv / dvb sources. most of the discussions related to those are applicable.

--
Riley

bato
03-24-2003, 02:24 AM
VBR properly?

-Pr.
Hey Pr. how are you? I didn't understand what rc3105 wanted to say.

While testing tyStudio alpha, I was able to use MovieFactory2 with the muxed output, following your step by step without using TMPGEnc. Also using elemental stream and importing that to Maestro. I'm even able to cut with mpeg2cut.

Maybe he was talking about using an editor to add/cut something to the mpg? really don't know.

Pr.Sinister
03-24-2003, 02:31 AM
for what? producing sw that actually works?

tivo mpg isn't dvd mpg or svcd mpg. regular dvd players weren't designed to play it. using tools (sw or hw) originally designed for that is a recipe for problems.

fill your car up with diesel instead of unleaded and it doesn't work so well either. (duh)

if you want 100% complience with your favorite flavor of the mpeg spec you have to transcode it or reconfig the tivo mpeg encoder chip.

so far olaf has produced the tools that do the best job of shoehorning tivo streams into a generally usable format. the files are good. the content inherits the tivo "flavor".

--
Riley

edit: durn typos...

I think that BubbleLamp is just trying to say that we have heard
on this board lots of boasting that since the output is legal, we
can use anything we want. Now that we are at that point and
that the bold statements aren't 100% true, it's just the honest
thing to either retract or specify that CBR is the key.

When tystudio is released, you can use the built in editor, but you'll also be able to process the resulting mpeg in your favorite frame accurate mpeg editor without losing sync, because the resulting mpeg is perfectly legal (e.g. all frame issues are corrected), unlike previous tystream conversion software.

Statements like this say something informative but then attack
someone for no reason. So when it turns out it wasn't true, it's
human nature (at least on DD) to throw it back in the person's
face.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Removed to protect the guilty
in fact, to the best of my knowledge there aren't even commercial tools that do this to a "legal" stream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Womble mpeg-vcr. No re-encoding necessary. Frame accurate.

When i found that my cuts were very inaccurate, i said to myself
"Hey (i'm from Canada), this produces a legal mpeg so i'll use
the advice posted before"

Now if it was someone else who had made that statement and
it turned out to be untrue, whoa nelly! Here come the flames!

Now don't get me wrong, i am not flaming or anything because
i am truly grateful to everyone here who provides their amazing
work for the benefit of others. I just wish everyone would see
that and not bash others.

I think that TyStudio is an impressive piece of work. I will use it in
the future. But at this point in time, i have something that works
for me and my workflow. I tried TyStudio and it takes me longer
to make my cutlist and they are not as accurate as i want them to
be. So when it does, i'll give it another try.

Fact is losta people have their preferred software to do what they
want. I swore by TextPad before i found UltraEdit. I still use Corel
Photo-Paint for all my picture manipulations even if i everyone
agrees Adobe Photoshop is better... well not to me.

Wow i'm rambling at 2am... i'm going to bed... Let's just all get
along! :D

G'night and congrats to all in the TyStudio team for finally getting
what you wanted all along : GPL'ed software suite that will grow
into something quite amazing.

-Pr.

rc3105
03-24-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Gruph
...Thanks for all your hard work on this project! It's turning out to be pretty cool! And as far as the professional version of QT: How much does it run for windows and how much for the Mac? (or is it just one package?)...-Gruph

it's insanely expensive, quoting olaf here...

Originally posted by Olaf
QT is avalible nativly (not X11) for MacOS X - the thing is that it costs. We can get QT for 65% of the list price. A single Mac licens would then cost ~ $800, if we combine and get a profesional Win and Mac it would cost ~$1400. Some pretty substancial money if you can't write it off on a company.

on the other hand, a custom licence to use QT to produce gpl utils for tivo video processing would be worth an incredible amount of publicity to the company. (good, bad, publicity is publicity) the trick will be getting them to go for it...

--
Riley

Pr.Sinister
03-24-2003, 02:35 AM
for working with mpeg from dtivo streams I've used spruce, b's recorder gold, ulead dvd workshop & videostudio, premiere, IDVD, the mjpeg lavtools, mpeg mediator, toast & roxio, ifoedit.... durned if I can remember it all. my apexes play pretty much anything I burn to disk.

check the forums I posted links to. tivo mpeg is similiar to that recorded with pc capture cards from tv / hdtv / dvb sources. most of the discussions related to those are applicable.

--
Riley

Ok i guess i'll try VideoStudio 7 and Premiere 6.5.

Authoring is not a problem for me. I need a Frame Accurate
editor. GOP accurate has already been done so for those
special cases i need to find a Frame Accurate one that won't
choke on the mpeg from TyStudio

-Pr.

rc3105
03-24-2003, 02:47 AM
frame accurate? never worried about that myself. the commercial detection routines I use are gop accurate based (mostly) on black I-frames. I let it handle everything so I get the ocassional glitch, but it's way more than made up for by all the time NOT spent editing.

--
Riley

Mbarr
03-24-2003, 04:38 AM
Ok- I'm on the mac side, at least mostly. I have a PC I could use, but the HD storage is all on the Mac. The pc is around for well.. clients.

SO: I'm willing to start a fund for the purchase of QT for y'all. It's US $1400, I assume. Considering the size of the thread after about 24 hrs... 8 pages ... I'd say we should be able to come up w/ a decent amount of money pretty quickly.

I'm in for $30. I'd do more.. but no new clients lately, and NYC is expensive...

Much more importatntly, how do we want to set this up? I'll leave it up to the team to make a verdict, but the easiest may be a paypal account for Olaf.

Please make sure that you donate from funds covered by a check, if we do this- that way they don't pay the fees & % to paypal.

BTW- will the source work on a mac, w/ the command line tools? Just curious...

MrBassMan
03-24-2003, 06:14 AM
I like Olaf have been burning the midnight oil over tyStudio for many weeks now and need a few days break from it - My paying work (also coding) is starting to suffer and need to catch up on some support work for clients.

I have just read through the messages so far both here and on Sourceforge (I've been away for the weekend) and there is enough work here to keep us busy for a very long time. I have resisted to temptation to answer individual questions, otherwise I will get dragged into spending more time than I have on tyStudio. I will probably monitor this list and Sourceforge but will only chip in occasionally.

Hopefully, towards the end of the week, I will start spending more time on it again. By that time things will have settled down a little. Already a picture is emerging of what sort of things I need to look at first: probably Win XP hangs which I thought we had resolved but obviously not for everyone.

So to everyone having problems - don't give up, people are already suggesting work-arounds for individual problems so hopefully you can keep going, even if you cannot process ALL of your streams just yet.

AlphaWolf
03-24-2003, 08:18 AM

I guess this doesn't say much since I am not a hardcore user, but so far I haven't had a single problem with sending the mpegs through any other software. (I haven't tried an SVCD or DVD player however, I don't have the need for these.)

TheSaint
03-24-2003, 09:21 AM
The following message is on the download page.

NOTE: No matter what platform you use, you need to download the Tivo / TyServer package as well if you plan on editing without extracting!

This makes no sense. If I have locally stored ty's it shouldn't matter. The tyserver is just an install shell script for the tivo. Is there some communication between Tystudio and the Tyserver even though you are not extracting and just processing local ty files ?

Very puzzling, please explain.

03-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Re-read. If you want to edit WITHOUT EXTRACTING FIRST (edit while the file is still on the Tivo) you need tyindex and tyserver running on Tivo. Tyindex (basically) creates a key or index file for all your ty files on the Tivo itself. If you want to extract and edit on your PC you don't need those programs.

Originally posted by TheSaint

NOTE: No matter what platform you use, you need to download the Tivo / TyServer package as well if you plan on editing without extracting!

rd001
03-24-2003, 11:40 AM
...tivo mpg isn't dvd mpg or svcd mpg. regular dvd players weren't designed to play it. using tools (sw or hw) originally designed for that is a recipe for problems...

You know, fried crow digests better with a little ketsup on it. ; )

This is some nice work. I hope to see some convergence with other projects for Tivo folk.

So, Riley, is anyone working on an XNS: server for streaming/extracting to a modded X-Box? (drool, drool)

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 11:55 AM
If you only will play with local files then there is no need to download the server package.

Cheers

Originally posted by TheSaint
The following message is on the download page.

This makes no sense. If I have locally stored ty's it shouldn't matter. The tyserver is just an install shell script for the tivo. Is there some communication between Tystudio and the Tyserver even though you are not extracting and just processing local ty files ?

Very puzzling, please explain.

phoenixZed
03-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Great program! I am also experiencing the end of process hanging bug, but this is still such a huge step forward in convenience. Fantastic!

One stupid question: On the tyStudio webpage, who is the guy in yellow giving us "the bird"? Is that suppose to be Olaf...Bassman...Riley....AlphaWolf? :D

pZ

captain_video
03-24-2003, 03:00 PM
I don't know, man, but he's one evil-looking dude! Must be one of those wicked Tivo hackers I keep hearing about (I bet he even skips past commercials).

MrBassMan
03-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by phoenixZed
Great program! I am also experiencing the end of process hanging bug, but this is still such a huge step forward in convenience. Fantastic!

One stupid question: On the tyStudio webpage, who is the guy in yellow giving us "the bird"? Is that suppose to be Olaf...Bassman...Riley....AlphaWolf? :D

pZ

This :D is more my style - i.e. it's not me!

BTW.
The answer to these two questions may help me diagnose the end of strem hang-up:

1. Is anyone getting the end of stream hang and NOT using Win-XP SP1?
2. Is anyone getting the end of stream hang and IS using Win-XP SP2?

Please do not answer if you are a WinXP SP1 user getting the hang.

saltydog4791
03-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Mbarr
Ok- I'm on the mac side, at least mostly. I have a PC I could use, but the HD storage is all on the Mac. The pc is around for well.. clients.

SO: I'm willing to start a fund for the purchase of QT for y'all. It's US $1400, I assume. Considering the size of the thread after about 24 hrs... 8 pages ... I'd say we should be able to come up w/ a decent amount of money pretty quickly.

I'm in for $30. I'd do more.. but no new clients lately, and NYC is expensive...

Much more importatntly, how do we want to set this up? I'll leave it up to the team to make a verdict, but the easiest may be a paypal account for Olaf.

Please make sure that you donate from funds covered by a check, if we do this- that way they don't pay the fees & % to paypal.

BTW- will the source work on a mac, w/ the command line tools? Just curious...

You can count me in as well for some money if that's what's needed, although I have no problem running the app under X11 either. But in the mean time is there a way to compile this for os x so my testing can begin?

saltydog4791

ronnythunder
03-24-2003, 03:43 PM
if, by "end of stream", you mean when processing the ty after it's on the pc (as opposed to xfering from tivo), yes, i've gotten the hang, and it's still taking massive cpu time.

i'm running windows 2000 pro sp3.

ronny

Originally posted by MrBassMan

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 03:52 PM
;), okay I was supposed to to do the BigMac yesterday - but I felt like a over fried "French fries" - hence I opted to stay away from the kitchen.

Naa, it's more a matter of time - building QT alone takes around 4 hours - and if you get an error you have to start all over.

I will try to bake one the comming day or so - in the mean time you have to hold on.

Will try to setup some sort of third party donation thing, want this to done the right way.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by saltydog4791
You can count me in as well for some money if that's what's needed, although I have no problem running the app under X11 either. But in the mean time is there a way to compile this for os x so my testing can begin?

saltydog4791

dlang
03-24-2003, 04:10 PM

BTW.
The answer to these two questions may help me diagnose the end of strem hang-up:

yes. on linux I have gotten the end-of-stream hang. I've only process two ty files and one worked the other didn't

unfortunantly my tivo decided to lock up sunday morning and since I rebooted it it isn't up on the network. I haven't had the time to dig up the serial cable to try and login to find the problem :(

I'll try to test more streams tonight

phoenixZed
03-24-2003, 04:19 PM

BTW.

I've tried tyStudio on 2 different Win2k SP2 boxes and get "the hang" on the same 3 out of 4 ty streams on each box. Each is less than 100 MB. In each case, the process dialog hangs after the number of TyDemux Chunks exceeds the final TyEditor Chunk. For example, TyEditor says a 45 MB stream has 339 chunks. Processing it with no cuts to a generic mpeg/no transcoding hangs with the status window showing 345 TyDemux Chunks and 41 MB TyMplex written. The one stream that doesn't hang, also 45 MB, ends prematurely, at about chunk 312 of 347, and 39 MB in size, stating the processing completed successfully.

The same hanging occurs when converting the ty stream to dvd/ac3 or dvd/48000

These are clips saved from the live buffer of a Philips SA running 3.0. Hope this helps, I intend to try some more tonight,

pZ

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Okay here is the story about the "banner" ;).

First we will need a little bit of background.

The whole Tivo thing is actually just a side track in to my final goals of DVD video creation. My primary goal are 1: to make high quality DVD's from a mpeg2 source 2: be able to edit a DVD 3:I want to do this the right way and the open source way

Now at the time of starting this DVD-Create there was no software avalible to anything of the above - sure we had players, we had rippers and so on but there was no way of making a DVD-Video from scratch using open source software.

Hence if I wanted to do this I hade to to it from scratch and I had to do it my self (at least inititally). I also had to learn/reverse engineer the DVD-Standard. I spent a lot of time gathering and understanding the DVD standard, thinking of ways to attack them problem. Then I started to write software - from the ground up.

Hence I wrote the code for DVD-Video support in mkisofs - without that we would not be able to make DVD-Video images (the open source way) that we could burn to a DVD-R(W)/+R(W).

At this point I was about to set up the DVD-create website. I wanted the banner to refect movies, DVD, but I also wanted it to reflect that (I) we will do this the hard way. Hence the dude - he is a bit provocative which is the purpose. I.e. basically saying "**** of we will not use closed source programs - we will produce high quality, flexible open source solutions not matter the time it will take"

Ahh, yes I'm still not happy with the "DVD-create/TyStudio" text in the banner - simply didn't have enough time to look around for a really good font :(.

Cheers Olaf

PS: You might now know why open source is very important to me, I simply didn't want one of the components in my DVD frame work to depend on closed source software out of my control. Hence I started to code TyDemux.

yah! who is that goof???

I've been to polite to ask but now that the topic is raised...

:D

--
Riley

captain_video
03-24-2003, 06:08 PM
I had been using ty files downloaded using tytool until I saw the caveat about tytool on the TyStudio website. I switched over to using mfsstream with TivoWeb to start with an "uncorrupted" ty file, mainly because I'm still unable to extract anything using mfs_ftp. I also started over with a smaller ty file (1/2 hour special "The Women of Dune"). I inserted all of my start and stop points for my cuts but I'm still getting GOP errors indicating that the gap is too large and that I should select another cut point. The problem is, I don't have any idea where the bad cut is occurring since there's no indication where I am during the processing stage. I am processing video to elemental streams with no audio transcoding (DTivo).

The video chunks count off in large bites but there's no way to directly correlate the chunk number with the time line. I started over again using the saved marker file but I deleted all but the first set of start and stop cuts. The file processed fine this time so I did it again with the next set included and so on. I'm still getting the errors but it's also getting to be a PITA to try and figure out exactly which cut is the culprit. I've already processed the file over a dozen times and I'm still getting errors.

I'd like to add to the overall wishlist to make it somehow possible to flag which cut is in error. Perhaps a progress bar that shows where in the time line the error occurs in the file or perhaps the erroneous cut could be highlighted in the cut list. The program also freezes up when the error occurs and there is no graceful way to exit from the error other than shutting down. The ty file has to be loaded again from scratch, resulting in more time wasted while waiting for it to load.

Would it also be possible to save the indexing for a ty file so that the next time you have to load it you can load it immediately and simply import an index file in the same way that you import the marker file? Perhaps there would be a way to create an index file automatically that would import whenever the ty file is opened up again much in the same way that SpruceUp creates a preview file.

stealthdave
03-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Olaf,

Have you taken a look at this project (http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/) recently? They are also developing a DVD-Authoring solution and are having success creating DVDs with menu structures, etc., and is open-source. They also have a pretty active developers list. I've been looking around at the state of open-source DVD authoring for a while since I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and buying a DVD burner. (External Firewire/USB 2.0 Pioneer 105 4x for only $300!) Their project looks very promising!

Now at the time of starting this DVD-Create there was no software avalible to anything of the above - sure we had players, we had rippers and so on but there was no way of making a DVD-Video from scratch using open source software.
[/B]

- Stealth Dave

AlphaWolf
03-24-2003, 07:32 PM

I'd like to add to the overall wishlist to....

This (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=489154&group_id=58876&func=browse) is where you do that. :D

dlang
03-24-2003, 08:33 PM
when the DVD destination is chosen does this include the VOB stuff?

olaf_sc
03-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Sure I am, I have even "helped" Scott with some questions of him. (Note: Don't want to take any credit). Scott is a good programmer and his program works for most of the time.

I had fixed the DVD-Video support and was about to start coding the lower frame work when Scott released 0.1 or something of DVD-Author.

Hmm, how to say it? !: I and Scott has different coding paths. I want to make a good low level stuff that is more or less complete before doing the more "fun" high level once. Scott is the other way around make it work in a limitied way and work from there.

We also have different coding styles, Scotts code is very hard coded, he is e.g. not using high level functions to alter the IFO stucture. Instead he does it on byte level. Reading and understaning that kind of code is hard and it makes it unflexible in my view.

The DVD IFO structure is very complex, and if you want to make more advanced DVD later on you better think twise how you access it other wise you will end up with a mess. Hence I have my reasons making 10000 lines of header code alone for accessing the IFO structre. It will make it extermly flexible and powerful in the end. Sure I have not finished it yet but I will :).

Anyways yes we will most probably use components from DVD author until I have built up DVD-Create. It's the faster road and a lot of people want to have a usable tool now rather than later.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by stealthdave
Olaf,

Have you taken a look at this project (http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/) recently? They are also developing a DVD-Authoring solution and are having success creating DVDs with menu structures, etc., and is open-source. They also have a pretty active developers list. I've been looking around at the state of open-source DVD authoring for a while since I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and buying a DVD burner. (External Firewire/USB 2.0 Pioneer 105 4x for only $300!) Their project looks very promising!

- Stealth Dave

snoopy
03-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Has anyone else had this problem?

I am using a Sony T60 with Xtreme update 2.5.2

AlphaWolf
03-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Ooops, looks like I missed this one earlier (been very busy)...

I think that BubbleLamp is just trying to say that we have heard
on this board lots of boasting that since the output is legal, we
can use anything we want. Now that we are at that point and
that the bold statements aren't 100% true, it's just the honest
thing to either retract or specify that CBR is the key.

Statements like this say something informative but then attack
someone for no reason. So when it turns out it wasn't true, it's
human nature (at least on DD) to throw it back in the person's
face.

When i found that my cuts were very inaccurate, i said to myself
"Hey (i'm from Canada), this produces a legal mpeg so i'll use
the advice posted before"

Now if it was someone else who had made that statement and
it turned out to be untrue, whoa nelly! Here come the flames!

Now don't get me wrong, i am not flaming or anything because
i am truly grateful to everyone here who provides their amazing
work for the benefit of others. I just wish everyone would see
that and not bash others.

I think that TyStudio is an impressive piece of work. I will use it in
the future. But at this point in time, i have something that works
for me and my workflow. I tried TyStudio and it takes me longer
to make my cutlist and they are not as accurate as i want them to
be. So when it does, i'll give it another try.

Fact is losta people have their preferred software to do what they
want. I swore by TextPad before i found UltraEdit. I still use Corel
Photo-Paint for all my picture manipulations even if i everyone
agrees Adobe Photoshop is better... well not to me.

Wow i'm rambling at 2am... i'm going to bed... Let's just all get
along! :D

G'night and congrats to all in the TyStudio team for finally getting
what you wanted all along : GPL'ed software suite that will grow
into something quite amazing.

-Pr.

Those statements about them being legal were by me. Apparently I didn't test everything that everybody wants to use. Although I have a DVD burner, I didn't buy it for this purpose. I just use regular MPEGs. (I did try dvd once, and it did work, but IMO not worth it b/c I realy hate fumbling with disc media.) I had a small collection of 10 or so of my favorite simpsons episodes, and processed them through womble. About two of them did have sync issues at first, but I was able to get them resolved with complete success. This is what I based my statements on.

You all should keep something in mind before you want to start another lynch mob though, this software is not yet complete.

nfg2u
03-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Snoopy, I am having the same trouble, I have tried both off the T-60 and the DSR6000, with windowsXPpro and with the linux version. I have the same trouble if I am proccesing directly from the tivo. Nothing works over the 500 and little mark. Mabey someone here knows what is going on?

Stephen
03-24-2003, 09:48 PM

1. Yes W2K Server SP3 W2K Pro SP3

Note. I have this issue at the START of the download to the local HD as well.. CPU spikes to 100% and stays there.. the file is NOT created at all. (even the file name) I know it hangs at the end of the ty file because I have D/L it with tytools and processed things that way

Additional Note.... It only happens about 50% of the time on a SP2 Machine that I have and about 50% of the time I am able to D/L from the TIVO on this SP2 Machine

Pr.Sinister
03-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Ooops, looks like I missed this one earlier (been very busy)...

Those statements about them being legal were by me. Apparently I didn't test everything that everybody wants to use. Although I have a DVD burner, I didn't buy it for this purpose. I just use regular MPEGs. (I did try dvd once, and it did work, but IMO not worth it b/c I realy hate fumbling with disc media.) I had a small collection of 10 or so of my favorite simpsons episodes, and processed them through womble. About two of them did have sync issues at first, but I was able to get them resolved with complete success. This is what I based my statements on.

You all should keep something in mind before you want to start another lynch mob though, this software is not yet complete.

Come on Alpha, you know i have never been part of any lynching
on this board. I was just stating that we were under the impression
that tydemux made an mpeg that was legal and jdiner's wasn't.

I do believe that this is what you wanted to get across to people.

That's why we were quick to point that ya Jdiner's mpeg doesn't
handle well in MPEG-VCR or M2-Edit but neither does tydemux's.

Once again, i couldn't care less which does what and how well.
For what *I* want to do, i have something that works great for
me. I NEVER said anything bad about your team's software.
All i did was tell you guys the problems i am having with the
legal mpeg. For all i knew, it wasn't supposed to behave this way
since you had said it would. I'm just being a dilligent beta tester.

-Pr.

snoopy
03-24-2003, 10:01 PM
olaf had suggested I was the only one having that problem. Hat's off to Olaf for such wonderful work though. Perhaps he can duplicate it somehow. I am using Windows XP Pro with sp1. I did not know there was an sp2. I will look later this evening. Feel free to msg me on msn ted at pennertech dot com

Pr.Sinister
03-24-2003, 10:08 PM
I had a small collection of 10 or so of my favorite simpsons episodes, and processed them through womble. About two of them did have sync issues at first, but I was able to get them resolved with complete success. This is what I based my statements on.

Do you remember what you did to resolve these problems?

Although i am fine with GOP accurate editing, frame accurate
would be my holy grail.

Any help appreciated.

-Pr.

captain_video
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
This is where you do that.

Thanks for the link AW. I have added several items to the wishlist at SourceForge based on my observations. Here's what I posted, in case anyone's interested:

GOP fault indicator, retest feature & index file

When a GOP fault occurs during the tydemux process, the
displayed message indicates that the gap is too large to
repair and the program locks up. There is no graceful way
to exit the program other than to shut it down as a non-
responsive app in Task Manager. This is an issue over and
above what I am requesting but I thought it was worth a
mention.

The feature I'd like to see is to have a method of detecting
where the fault occurs in relation to either a specific start or
ending cut point. There is no way of determining where the
erroneous cut has occurred without extensive trial and error
to find it. Some sort of indicator that shows the progress of
the processing phase based on the timeline of the video file
would be extremely helpful in locating the offensive cut
point. Another useful indicator would be to highlight the cut
point in question in the cut list window to identify the fault.

As it currently stands, the only method of testing to see if
the error has been corrected is to adjust the cut point and
process the entire file again, or at least enough of it to
ensure that the file has been processed past the cut point in
question. This involves reloading the ty file and creating an
entirely new index from scratch, loading the marker file,
making the correction, and processing the file again. This
can get quite tedious and time consuming.

It would be beneficial if an index file could be created the
first time the ty file is loaded and then automatically loaded
each time the ty file is loaded from that point on rather than
having to re-index the ty file every time.

A method of processing just a select portion of the ty file
would also be helpful in testing cut points to ensure there
are no GOP errors. Perhaps a portion could be
automatically selected for testing that would check a
segment beginning say 10 GOP headers prior to a start cut
and ending 10 GOPs past and end cut. There could be a
user selectable parameter to set the points before and after
a cut for testing.

To summarize:

1. GOP fault indicator to flag the offensive cut point.

2. Ty file index file to speed up repetive loading of the
same ty file.

3. Ty file segment processor for testing cut points.

I've spent the entire evening playing around with a 1/2-hour program to get the commercials edited out using TyEditor. The above comments are a result of this evening's efforts. There simply has got to be an easier way to fix a bad cut point than what is currently available. If someone knows of a better method of finding a bad cut point, please let me know. I had to check each cut segment, one at a time, until I found the one that gave me an error during the processing phase. Then I had to reload the ty file from scratch and reload the marker file. TyEditor crashed on me several times simply for opening the marker file and I had to start all over again.

I still had to figure out if it was the start or end cut that was causing the problem as there was no way to determine the culprit for lack of any displayed data. The only thing that gives you a clue is the chunk numbers as they are processed but, unless you're looking right at the numbers when the fault occurs, you only have an extremely vague notion of where the bad cut is. The chunk numbers or size of the resultant m2v and m2a files don't tell you where the cut is based on the timeline of the video clip.

My system eventually bogged down completely and I got an error message indicating that I was out of virtual memory (766MB was my minimum setting). I had to shut down and clear out the RAM and start again. I bumped up my virtual memory setting to about twice what the original setting was so hopefully that won't be a problem again.

The good news is that I was able to get all commercials edited cleanly with absolutely no sync issues. The elemental streams import nicely into SpruceUp after patching the 1st header.

BubbleLamp
03-24-2003, 10:22 PM
this software is not yet complete.

Exactly my point. Neither was the other one you chose to bash so often.

Bigdog999
03-24-2003, 11:07 PM
It seems like a wonderful tool, but when I've tried to process a ty remotely, it downloads fine, but somewhere in the process Iend up with a messed up video. Scenes are skipped and others are still framed. Using win xp with a sa tivo

cjtivo
03-24-2003, 11:09 PM
I just posted this error in the Sourceforge bug tracker, but I will put it here also in case someone is interested:

W2K SP3 BSOD:

I loaded tystream on my tivo and let it run for a day.
I then loaded the client on my W2k machine.
I choose to "Open from now showing"
I then click process, specify a file name, and it will run for about 15 seconds, then go into a blue screen of death. After the BSOD, it dumps the core and reboots.
Here is the error I was getting(I copied by hand so it might now be exact)

*** STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000001, 0xb2000000, 0x00000115)
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

ninsei
03-25-2003, 01:17 AM
BTW.

Please do not answer if you are a WinXP SP1 user getting the hang. [/B]

I don't think there exists a WinXP SP2.. I looked through Microsofts update pages and their web site and didn't see anything about SP2.

-ninsei

snoopy
03-25-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by ninsei
I don't think there exists a WinXP SP2.. I looked through Microsofts update pages and their web site and didn't see anything about SP2.

-ninsei

You are correct. I don't know what that guy was talking about. There is not an sp2 for Windows XP Pro. There is only sp1. sp1 has been out for about 6 months

olaf_sc
03-25-2003, 02:29 AM
Hello Folks,

Would like to make a graceful request that you could follow the following guidelines when doing a bug report at SourceForge.

Template:

email: myself@tystudio.org
OS: WinXP SP1 (other example can be Linux Suse 8.1 - updated to latest patch level, MacOS X 10.2,)
TyStudio: 0.5.0 Beta 1
Tivo: SA/UK/DTivo Software version X.X - if any lager hacks than networkdriver and ftp/telnet is installed

Problem:
An indepth explanation of the problem.

Log:
Attache the log file if it's not a billion lines if very large only include th essential part. A must is Probe Information, Mux information if you mux, transcode info if you transcode + plus the problem.

-----

Please feel free to upload files of small to moderate size to ftp://66.121.15.34/upload. The name schema to be
used is "bugid-from-sourceforge".ty.

Cheers
The TyStudio Team

snoopy
03-25-2003, 03:04 AM
you mention on a page i usually download from that you are going to start using a website to post updates. What website would this be?

crashmore
03-25-2003, 08:14 AM
I downloaded and used tystudio for the first time last night. Up until then I was using tytool getting the file in multiplex mode and then evenually running it through tsunami to upsample the audio. I had so many synch problems any other way I had all but given up on not having to reencode before making my dvd's.

Last night I installed tystudio (quick and painless for me)
and downloaded a stream I had been saving.
After the download finished processing was a breeze and pretty fast for me. I am still using my own editing program to do the cuts. Currently I use myflix xe which has been doing an awesome job of quickly allowing me to cut commericials. From there I went straight to dvd with ulead dvd movie factory.

When I woke up and tested my newly burned dvd I was very pleasantly suprised. I now have the highest quality dvd I've made from a ty file to date!

The only issue I had during the process was during my download. While downloading my tivo was going nuts, playback would get pixelated or skip from time to time. I never see this when using tytool to d/l. Could this have something to do with the priority the process is running at? I'll take the time and do some tests tonight to see whats up. I think I saw another post in this thread that alluded to a similar problem.

Thank you very much to the tystudio team for putting out this great prgram! I really appreciate the fact that you folks are using your coding talents to benefit the tivo community!

Stephen
03-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by snoopy
You are correct. I don't know what that guy was talking about. There is not an sp2 for Windows XP Pro. There is only sp1. sp1 has been out for about 6 months

Not to get in a war of the words but MS has a select few beta testers out there and I have seen it on the warez sites. (I think it will be released in about 3 months or so)

http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=1044264633

It is NOT open to the public at this time though

newlooper
03-25-2003, 09:15 AM
I would just like to add a good note to this thread also. I extracted a tystream using mfs_ftp ( I can't seem to get a good one through tystudio :as noted in previous issues ). I transcoded to dvd framesize using TMPGEnc using the mpg from TyStudio for video and audio.

Imported into DVDWorkshop and whooohooo!!!!!

Beautiful work guys. It is perfect, perfect, perfect.
Dolby surround is in tact

Now my question is: Does TMPGEnc support AC-3?

-newlooper

laserfan
03-25-2003, 09:20 AM
...Is anyone getting the end of stream hang and NOT using Win-XP SP1?... If by "end of stream hang" you mean that the process ends with Cancel still "up" (i.e. no message telling of success) I have seen this with my W2K SP3 system, when trying to Process SA 3.01 streams (extracted using tserver_mfs) as "DVD".

But I am successful using these same tystreams and Process-ing as Elementary streams, so I have abandoned the "DVD" setting for the time being.

newlooper
03-25-2003, 10:23 AM
...Is anyone getting the end of stream hang and NOT using Win-XP SP1?...

It seems to me Generic works ok too.

snoopy
03-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by newlooper
...Is anyone getting the end of stream hang and NOT using Win-XP SP1?...

It seems to me Generic works ok too.

I don't exactly see how sp1 has anything to do with it. My Windows XP Pro is up to date as is the software on the Tivo. When I take the file right off the tivo with Ty Studio to create an mpg instead of a ty file, it stops cold at 500mb. No error or anything. It simply stops.

ronnythunder
03-25-2003, 12:03 PM
ok, i'll fish once more, and then i promise i'll just wait...

has anyone been able to build any of the software on windows from the sources? if so, can you please throw me a bone regarding what you did to make it work? i don't need to rebuild the gui pieces, just tydemux.exe.

thanx

ronny

ninsei
03-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by laserfan
If by "end of stream hang" you mean that the process ends with Cancel still "up" (i.e. no message telling of success) I have seen this with my W2K SP3 system, when trying to Process SA 3.01 streams (extracted using tserver_mfs) as "DVD".

But I am successful using these same tystreams and Process-ing as Elementary streams, so I have abandoned the "DVD" setting for the time being.

But its not successful with the Cancel still up.. Hitting cancel creates a MPG file that is partially (if by only a seconds) cut off at the end. No big deal and we can all work around it, but its definitely hanging and not a successful end to the process..

I'm currently pulling the ty off the DTivo and subsequently using TyEditor with Elementary Streams and No Transcode (Dtivo) as the most successful method for my DVD creation needs.

Other methods have caused various results:

1. Doing the edits on the Dtivo and pulling with elementary streams successfully finishes but only goes up to ~500 meg.

2. Using the DVD setting with a local ty file causes the hang as most have noticed.

-ninsei

olaf_sc
03-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Hello Folks,

No use to rant ;) we get it. Here is a list of known problems.

TyGet: Craches under WinXP
TyEditor: Download stops after 500mb - this indicates that we are stoppoing after 4096 chunks which is a "mfs sector" on the Tivo.
TyServer: For some people tivo recording during extract goes totally south - blocky, jitter, skips
TyEditor/TyProcess: Hangs near end of processing (some indications is that this happens to streams that aren't extracted by TyEditor/TyGet, hence streams extracted by TyEditor/TyGet doesn't hang)
TyEditor/TyDemux/TyProcess: Fails when it tries to close a gop
TyDemux: Gop time errors
TyDemux: Sync issues with cuts and when detecting missing audio

----
Here is a list of what I have managed to fix (or at least think I have fixed beta 2 will tell us).

TyEditor/TyDemux/TyProcess: Fails when it tries to close a gop
TyDemux: Gop time errors
TyDemux: Sync issues with cuts and when detecting missing audio

----

Next thing for me to do is to buy a Debug under Windows XP book. I'm a unix programmer and the VC++ interface isn't that easy. The TyGet crach is a Win only bug, and so far I think the hang after 500Mb is also a Win only bug - hence something is going south in the Windows code of TyStudio or we have a bug in Windows it self.

Cheers Olaf

olaf_sc
03-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Sorry Ronny didn't manage to zip it up - hold on - I think you can wait a little. I actually fixed the bug causing your problem.

Cheers Olaf

has anyone been able to build any of the software on windows from the sources? if so, can you please throw me a bone regarding what you did to make it work? i don't need to rebuild the gui pieces, just tydemux.exe.

thanx

ronny

MrBassMan
03-25-2003, 02:21 PM
I don't exactly see how sp1 has anything to do with it. My

The point of asking was that I had only seen WinXP SP1 users reporting the fault - I wanted to eliminate a MS bug in this release which I think we have done.

Misato suffered this exact same problem during the Alpha trials - I eventually discovered that the MS pipe implementation was blocking on a write, even though there was room in the pipe for more data. I put it down to a bug in the MS Windows pipe implementation and worked around it by creating a pipe twice the size we actually use. This solved it for Misato.

I need to look again into this but it is very difficult to debug a problem when you cannot reproduce it yourself.

I will probably end up releasing a version of tystudio with extra diagnostics to those suffering in the hope of getting more information.

What is interesting is that I have not seen any linux users reporting it - anyone care to prove this wrong?

MrBassMan
03-25-2003, 02:26 PM

SP2 is available to MSDN subscribers and probably Technet subscribers too.

keith721
03-25-2003, 02:29 PM
both MrBassMan and Olaf mention that they're going to take a few days off after all the heavy Alpha test bug-fixing, and they both keep hanging around, anyway ;) ;)

if you guys don't seriously take a few days off, have a life, and get some rest, i'm gonna hunt down your snail mail addresses, and start sending large quantities of adult beverages to your homes. :p :p maybe that will slow you down for a few days...

MrBassMan
03-25-2003, 03:30 PM

thanx

ronny

Make a development directory on your disk and cd to that directory.

> mkdir dvd-create
> mkdir mjpeg
> cd mjpeg
>set CVSROOT=anonymous@cvs.mjpeg.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/mjpeg
> cvs checkout mjpeg_play
> cd ..\dvd-create
> set CVSROOT=anonymous@cvs.dvd-create.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dvd-create
> cvs checkout tydemux

This will checkout the mplex files neede as well as the tydemux project. It is important these directories are layed out as above.

In MS Visual studio - open tydemux\VC6\tydemux.dsw and choose the menu option "rebuild all" - This builds all the command line utilities

In MS Visual studio - open tydemux\tyeditor\tyeditor.dsw and choose the menu option "rebuild all" - This builds the editor GUI.

prospero
03-25-2003, 03:45 PM
First, TyStudio is amazing! Thanks to everyone for the tremendous effort. Still a few bugs to squash, but the promise is undeniable.

MrBassMan:
I've been running TyStudio on both Linux and WinXP (SP1) against my Philips SA Tivo w/ Software System: 3.0-01-1-000

In >>both<< systems, TyEditor will process for some period of time (varies) and then hang. By hang, I mean that progress stops, but no errors are generated, and the dialog does not go away. Interestingly, CPU util stays at about 95% even after the hang. As all my boxen are dual-CPU, both procs stay at +95% until the hang, and then at least one stays at that level after the hang, and seemingly forever (at least till I hit "cancel").

The WinXP-SP1 box is a dual-Xeon(p4) with 1GB of RAM. The Linux box is a dual-PII with 384MB of RAM. Linux in this case is Mandrake 9 (Kernel 2.4.19-16mdksmp). Both boxes use static IP addresses.

Sometimes the hang comes at 4093 chunks, sometimes a little sooner. This does not seem to be consistent although I haven't seen a number larger than 4093 chunks.

As a final aside, I also have a dual-proc Mac G4, so I'm quite interested in playing with the OSX port when its ready.

Thanks again...

MrBassMan
03-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Can anyone experiencing hang-ups during processing to DVD also try typrocess on the same file - I expect you to get the same result but would like confirmation.

If you do get hangs with typrocess as well, please try the attached version of typrocess.

If it still hangs, send me a PM with your email address and I will give you back an email address you can use to send me a log file.

MrBassMan
03-25-2003, 03:55 PM
This is a pre-release of tyget that works under windows. When Beta2 of tystudio is released you should stop using it.

I have released it as it may be a work-around for those still having problems extracting from within tyeditor.

olaf_sc
03-25-2003, 04:51 PM
:( and I just went and bought a book how to debug under Windows. It's not fair that you fixed it! :).

Cheers Olaf

This is a pre-release of tyget that works under windows. When Beta2 of tystudio is released you should stop using it.

I have released it as it may be a work-around for those still having problems extracting from within tyeditor.

olaf_sc
03-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Okay here is what you need todo.

First report this bug under SF, please see bug report template avalible under Resorces at http://dvd-create.sf.net/tystudio

Next thing I want is for you to tychopper say the last 1000 chunks from the stream (I assume you get the problem at the end right?). Next, veryify that the chopped stream also hangs - if it does please upload it to 66.121.15.35 - use the file name convention described under resourced at http://dvd-create.sf.net/tystudio. If you can't make it hang on chopped streams attache this info to the bug report.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by prospero
First, TyStudio is amazing! Thanks to everyone for the tremendous effort. Still a few bugs to squash, but the promise is undeniable.

MrBassMan:
I've been running TyStudio on both Linux and WinXP (SP1) against my Philips SA Tivo w/ Software System: 3.0-01-1-000

In >>both<< systems, TyEditor will process for some period of time (varies) and then hang. By hang, I mean that progress stops, but no errors are generated, and the dialog does not go away. Interestingly, CPU util stays at about 95% even after the hang. As all my boxen are dual-CPU, both procs stay at +95% until the hang, and then at least one stays at that level after the hang, and seemingly forever (at least till I hit "cancel").

The WinXP-SP1 box is a dual-Xeon(p4) with 1GB of RAM. The Linux box is a dual-PII with 384MB of RAM. Linux in this case is Mandrake 9 (Kernel 2.4.19-16mdksmp). Both boxes use static IP addresses.

Sometimes the hang comes at 4093 chunks, sometimes a little sooner. This does not seem to be consistent although I haven't seen a number larger than 4093 chunks.

As a final aside, I also have a dual-proc Mac G4, so I'm quite interested in playing with the OSX port when its ready.

Thanks again...

VideoJoe
03-25-2003, 05:03 PM
TyStudio looks like a fantastic program, but I can't pull any files from my TIVO. Is a router required to use TyStudio? I can only view Now Showing when I type in my IP, but it tries to download from 'TIVO'.

snoopy
03-25-2003, 05:05 PM
:( and I just went and bought a book how to debug under Windows. It's not fair that you fixed it! :).

Cheers Olaf

Not so fast :(
I it still hangs after about 520mb. I used the updated files posted. I am using T60 and Windows XP Pro with sp1

snoopy
03-25-2003, 05:09 PM
What is the "website" you now suggest we use for TY Studio? You make a note of it here (suggesting that we use it instead) (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvd-create/tydemux/installer/win32/Output/Attic/setup.exe).

snoopy
03-25-2003, 05:12 PM
delete me. duplicate

Hobby
03-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by VideoJoe
TyStudio looks like a fantastic program, but I can't pull any files from my TIVO. Is a router required to use TyStudio? I can only view Now Showing when I type in my IP, but it tries to download from 'TIVO'.

Is there anyone out there who is able to extract with TyStudio while using a static ip address?

Hobby
03-25-2003, 05:22 PM

Is there anyone out there who is able to extract with TyStudio while using a static ip address?

03-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Snoopy the link for the tystudio website is in the first post of this thread.

I'm using WIN XP PRO SP1, but I converted from WIN98SE and am still using FAT32.

Not sure if that changes anything.

RxMan
03-25-2003, 05:30 PM
I use a static ip with a linksys 4-port router. Never had any problems at all.

irrelevant
03-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Hobby

If using 'tivo' as an address doesn't find your tivo, the quickest thing to do to make it do so is set up a "hosts" file.

at a msdos prompt (start>run>"command")

For windows 9x:
echo "192.168.0.19 tivo" >>c:\windows\hosts

for windows NT / 2K / XP
echo "192.168.0.19 tivo" >>c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

replace my ip address with actual address of your tivo
if windows is somewhere else (xp might use c:\windows\) replace as appropriate.

for Linux/Unix, edit /etc/hosts as appropriate.

Check afterwards with "ping tivo"

btw - amazing program, everyone! Only had it barf on one .ty so far, but that's one I've had kicking about for over a year, and I have no idea what I extracted it with..

Rob

ninsei
03-25-2003, 06:20 PM

Hobby,

I have successfully extracted many streams using a crossover cable connected directly to my laptop using TyStudio. I also have a static ip address set up between the two machines. Like irrelevant mentioned above, I linked "tivo" to this static IP address so I wouldn't have to keep changing it in TyEditor.

-ninsei

prospero
03-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Okay here is what you need todo.

First report this bug under SF, please see bug report template avalible under Resorces at http://dvd-create.sf.net/tystudio

Next thing I want is for you to tychopper say the last 1000 chunks from the stream (I assume you get the problem at the end right?). Next, veryify that the chopped stream also hangs - if it does please upload it to 66.121.15.35 - use the file name convention described under resourced at http://dvd-create.sf.net/tystudio. If you can't make it hang on chopped streams attache this info to the bug report.

Cheers Olaf

Your wish is my command :D Bug ID is 709726 and the file is uploading now. (gonna take a while...)

BTW: I posted here first in response to MrBassMan's comment that he hadn't heard from any Linux users. We're out here!

TyStudio looks great on Linux (and Windows) and works well on both with the exception of this little bug. Even with this bug, the output I do get is clean and the audio is in sync. Sweet!

The new version of tyget that MrBassMan posted today for windows works very well (thanks!) and eliminates the consistent crash I was having with that tool before (only on WinXP, Linux worked from day one).

The cut-editing process is awesome! Big Kudos! Big Thanks!

mpauley
03-25-2003, 07:00 PM
When extracting an MPEG from my TiVos, it only gets the first FSID. When I convert from my PC, everything is fine.

ronnythunder
03-25-2003, 08:03 PM
mrbassman, thanks, but it still doesn't work. i can't get the cvs checkout to work (it just times out), so i just downloaded the tarballs again and started in a fresh dir.

when i try to open tydemux\VC6\tydemux.dsw, nothing happens. i mean *nothing*. it's just as if i didn't even open anything. the build, rebuild all menu option is grayed out, because there is no project open. i could post a screen print, but i'm completely accurate when i say that the screen doesn't change from when visual studio is opened.

i can do other dsw files (e.g. tydemux 0.4.2 works great), so there's nothing wrong with my visual studio implementation.

sigh. i wish i knew more about visual studio; is there any way to turn on some kind of debugging/audit to see what's going wrong during the load of the dsw?

ronny

Make a development directory on your disk and cd to that directory.

In MS Visual studio - open tydemux\VC6\tydemux.dsw and choose the menu option "rebuild all" - This builds all the command line utilities

In MS Visual studio - open tydemux\tyeditor\tyeditor.dsw and choose the menu option "rebuild all" - This builds the editor GUI.

newlooper
03-25-2003, 08:23 PM

I know this is a stupid question but, you are using the same subnet address right?

VideoJoe
03-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by irrelevant
If using 'tivo' as an address doesn't find your tivo, the quickest thing to do to make it do so is set up a "hosts" file.

at a msdos prompt (start>run>"command")

For windows 9x:
echo "192.168.0.19 tivo" >>c:\windows\hosts

for windows NT / 2K / XP
echo "192.168.0.19 tivo" >>c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Thanks irrelevent for your very helpful post, I got it set up using your instructions, but I had to delete the quotes around the "192.168.0.19 tivo" in the file to get it working in XP.

Was hoping this was my only problem but I'm still not able to extract the files from TIVO. I get the following in editorlog.txt

demux: Error getting okay message - 400 Invalid filename
tyeditor: Failed to do remote probe on fsid 92983

MrBassMan
03-25-2003, 08:30 PM
I have seen this before on other projects when the .dsp or .dsw files only have linefeed terminators on each line. VS expects them to have CRLF terminators. I do not know the origin of the tarball but it is probably from a unix system which would explain the problem.
Run the .dsp (there are a number of them) and the .dsw files through a unix2dos converter and all should be OK.

mrbassman, thanks, but it still doesn't work. i can't get the cvs checkout to work (it just times out), so i just downloaded the tarballs again and started in a fresh dir.

when i try to open tydemux\VC6\tydemux.dsw, nothing happens. i mean *nothing*. it's just as if i didn't even open anything. the build, rebuild all menu option is grayed out, because there is no project open. i could post a screen print, but i'm completely accurate when i say that the screen doesn't change from when visual studio is opened.

i can do other dsw files (e.g. tydemux 0.4.2 works great), so there's nothing wrong with my visual studio implementation.

sigh. i wish i knew more about visual studio; is there any way to turn on some kind of debugging/audit to see what's going wrong during the load of the dsw?

ronny

ronnythunder
03-25-2003, 08:33 PM
ok, i'm a semi-dumbass. i've solved the problem with building on windows from the sources. it's the friggin dos/unix cr/crlf text file problem. the way i unpacked the tarballs, the text files had unix-style line terminators, which, i presume, caused visual studio to take the whole file as a comment.

for the record, i used winzip to open the zip, then winrar to open the tar. bad idea, apparently; when i used winzip for both, the line terminators were correct.

sorry for all of the fuss

ronny

MrBassMan
03-25-2003, 08:34 PM
ok, i'm a semi-dumbass. i've solved the problem with building on windows from the sources. it's the friggin dos/unix cr/crlf text file problem. the way i unpacked the tarballs, the text files had unix-style line terminators, which, i presume, caused visual studio to take the whole file as a comment.

for the record, i used winzip to open the zip, then winrar to open the tar. bad idea, apparently; when i used winzip for both, the line terminators were correct.

sorry for all of the fuss

ronny
My answer and your reply posted almost simultaneously - Nice to be right though :D

RxMan
03-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Have you been able to extract anything from your tivo using any method? I guess you have been able to ftp files over. Are your shows unscrambled? Just throwing stuff out there.

VideoJoe
03-25-2003, 09:12 PM
No problems using TyTool, noscamble is working fine. Is there any way to verify tyserver is still running? I haven't noticed any new indexed files lately.

VideoJoe
03-25-2003, 09:34 PM
TyIndex was still running, I saw Tyserver listed twice, is that normal. <File attached>

RxMan
03-25-2003, 09:45 PM
There is something going on with this. I have had tyserver running twice before as well. I did the ps ax then killed both of the processes. Then did a /var/index/tyserver to restart it and tried tyedit once again.

nfg2u
03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Ok, report from another linux user. I am also having the hang problem at the end of "processing" everthing just stops. If you close the window it says something to the effect of canceled by user but everthing seems to finish ok. I am also having the 500mb limit problem on both machines. I am going to try the new tyget file posted earlier, I am also crashing on the windows box. Linux is such a much more stable platform. I wish I could dump windows completely but now thats another forum all together. Thanks for all the hard work out there. What a great program. Thanks again!
:D :D :D

VideoJoe
03-25-2003, 10:14 PM
RxMan,

killed both PIDs and restarted, but still no joy, editorlog reports:
'demux: Error getting okay message - 400 Invalid filename' with Failed to open show or 'tyeditor: Failed to do remote probe on fsid xxxxx' when trying to download to pc. Just can't figger this one out.

snoopy
03-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by nfg2u
I am also having the 500mb limit problem on both machines. I am going to try the new tyget file posted earlier, I am also crashing on the windows box.
:D :D :D

I tried that new file and still have the same issues under Windows XP sp1 and Tivo T60

shibumila
03-26-2003, 12:13 AM
I'm a little confused...
This is the tool I've been waiting for.. and I'm sure when the bugs get ironed it.. it's going to rock..

In the meantime..... I have a question.

If my goal is to make DVDs and I have a Stand Alone Tivo (3.01)
which of the Video Formats should I use, and which of the Audio formats should I use?

Thanks,

Joe

bato
03-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by shibumila
I'm a little confused...
This is the tool I've been waiting for.. and I'm sure when the bugs get ironed it.. it's going to rock..

In the meantime..... I have a question.

If my goal is to make DVDs and I have a Stand Alone Tivo (3.01)
which of the Video Formats should I use, and which of the Audio formats should I use?

Thanks,

Joe
Change your tivo to record at 352x480 (or 720x480) and for the output choose DVD and audio to 48000(DVD) and you should be fine with many other tools to get that video into a DVD with menus and such.

redav72
03-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Ok I've two machines, one RedHat 8.0 and one Phoebe (I'll install 9 the minute it comes out). On RedHat 8 everything seems to work ok, however on the Beta there is no refresh button on the get files from now-showing dialouge. Very strange.

StephenR
03-26-2003, 08:28 AM
RxMan,

killed both PIDs and restarted, but still no joy, editorlog reports:
'demux: Error getting okay message - 400 Invalid filename' with Failed to open show or 'tyeditor: Failed to do remote probe on fsid xxxxx' when trying to download to pc. Just can't figger this one out.

Hi VideoJoe,

Not much help I am afraid but it is nice to know that you are not alone!

I get exactly the same problem

Indexes are created fine on the TiVo and the Now Showing list populates with no problems but If I try to pull a file to the PC for editing, I get a '400 Invalid filename' error in the log.

I am using Windows 2000 (I think SP2 but I will check) in case it helps?

The only other bit of info I can offer is that I had a similar problem during installation as I have seen posted elsewhere i.e. the root partition was read only so my rc.sysinit could not be edited (sorry for not posting the actual message, I am away from my machine)

I had, of course, to start the tyserver and tyindex processes manually.

Thanks in advance for any help

Stephen

VideoJoe
03-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Still trying to download from Now Showing.

I just compared the FSIDs from TyStudio with the FSID TyTool (which is working on my system). They don't match ! Most of them are not even close. Is this normal or what's causing my problem?

rc3105
03-26-2003, 06:26 PM
tytool lists the fsids for the individual segments of a recording.

tyedit (tivoweb-tytar-server, mfs_ftp & vplay) use the fsid of the recording object which contains the info for the entire recording not just the location of the video component(s).

not the same, not supposed to be

--
Riley

jalex9
03-27-2003, 12:46 AM
I was sure hoping that tyStudio would work right off the bat, but for me it does hang at the end of the processing with my CPU at 97%. My OS is Win2K and my Ty stream is from my Philips SA running 3.0-01-1-000.

I figured there would be a fix posted by now but since there isnt, I figured I could at least download the source, build it and break on the function that was stuck and go from there. So there is a while loop in tymainwindow.cpp ln 541 that tests processor.IsCompleted() which is never true. First I tried to step in qApp->processEvents() but its part of the qt GUI stuff that is completly foreign to me and DevStudio just stepped right over it. Anyone who would like to give me some pointers on where to go from there, I would gladly do that.

Next I just set the return from IsCompleted() to 1 within DevStudio while at the break to see what it would do. I did create an mpeg but the audio sync drifts considerably as you play it and if you get to the end there seemed to be some content missing. I used PowerDVD 3.0.0.0 to test the file since I don't anything besides WMP to play mpeg's which may be inadequite for testing the sync.

I will glady poke around at this with guidance from the dev team if needed. I just wanted to post my limited debugging if it would be useful.

jalex9

rc3105
03-27-2003, 01:49 AM
if it seems a bit quiet.... here's a minor fyi

the mplex cvs got updated by the folks contributing to it and the changes broke a few things in tystudio.

not a big deal, but with a project this complex with serveral people working on different modules, a major component based on an standard tool (mplex) still under development by a completely different team...

lots of things to verify/re-verify/re-re-verify before beta2.

--
Riley

reporter: mr ghandi, what do you think of western civilization?

ghandi: I think it would be a good idea ;)

snoopy
03-27-2003, 03:31 AM

reporter: mr ghandi, what do you think of western civilization?

ghandi: I think it would be a good idea ;)

Gotta love it

MrBassMan
03-27-2003, 04:38 AM
Yesterday I commited some fixes for the hang-ups and Roawn commited some audio fixes - can you rebuild and retest.

BTW - The loop you were looking at is the GUI waiting for the threads to complete their work. It was the threads you needed to look at to see where it was hanging.

Please join the developer mailing list on Sourceforge for help in building and debugging tyStudio.

Originally posted by jalex9
I was sure hoping that tyStudio would work right off the bat, but for me it does hang at the end of the processing with my CPU at 97%. My OS is Win2K and my Ty stream is from my Philips SA running 3.0-01-1-000.

I figured there would be a fix posted by now but since there isnt, I figured I could at least download the source, build it and break on the function that was stuck and go from there. So there is a while loop in tymainwindow.cpp ln 541 that tests processor.IsCompleted() which is never true. First I tried to step in qApp->processEvents() but its part of the qt GUI stuff that is completly foreign to me and DevStudio just stepped right over it. Anyone who would like to give me some pointers on where to go from there, I would gladly do that.

Next I just set the return from IsCompleted() to 1 within DevStudio while at the break to see what it would do. I did create an mpeg but the audio sync drifts considerably as you play it and if you get to the end there seemed to be some content missing. I used PowerDVD 3.0.0.0 to test the file since I don't anything besides WMP to play mpeg's which may be inadequite for testing the sync.

I will glady poke around at this with guidance from the dev team if needed. I just wanted to post my limited debugging if it would be useful.

jalex9

Droidyman
03-27-2003, 07:32 AM
I'd just like to say, i'm new to this Tivo hacking lark, and this software has made it far simpler, thanks to all involved. I did find out that it doesn't run on Virtual PC under OSX so I've had to dust off my old windows box. Ah well, at least they're both networked.
I've yet to overcome the sizing issue for DVD though. My UK Tivo records Best at 544 not 720, and TyS isn't changing the size. It's fine for Basic. (but who wants 320x240) I had the same problems with the commandline toggles. setting the resolution to 0 doesn't work, as the picture moves to the left.
Has anyone got any ideas?

motionblurrr
03-27-2003, 07:36 AM
After FTPing the tyserver.ppc.sh over to /var I telnet'd in to install it. I ran the command as the install suggested "bash /var/tyserver.ppc.sh" and it said it said:

This script will install TyServer in /var/index, proceed? [yes]:

Of course I hit enter to install and it gave me this:

Extracting archive...

Decompressing archive...

Error during decompression. Did you transfer this file in binary mode?

Aborting.

YES, I transferred it in binary mode... anyway you guys probably already know this but I thought I'd post it for any other n00bs. If you get this error change directories so you are in VAR (cd var) before you run the "bash /var/tyserver.ppc.sh" command to install it. Once I did this it extracted properly and installed.

ScubaBudy
03-27-2003, 11:27 AM
MPEG Playes fine in WinDVD
Please help I want to know if i am doing something wrong?

When I get the ty file and process it, it makes a MPEG file that plays great in InterVideo WinDVD Platinum but as soon as I bring it into my DVD program (DVD Architect) and prepare a DVD with a menu the sound is off by a few seconds.

Could someone please help me and let me know how I can fix this?

Thanks ScubaBudy

ScubaBudy
03-27-2003, 11:54 AM
The Now Showing list is not being updated it only has the shows up untill the day I installed this Software no new shows are in the list?

Please help!

ScubaBudy

dialanothernumb
03-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Looks from the dev list that you are nearly on top of the 500MB bug, BassMan et al. Is that the case?

Thanks

BTW. This software is very rewarding for me on my <500MB shows. Another vote of thanks to you all

Neutronflux
03-27-2003, 02:15 PM
I got the same update on the tester list - from Olaf regarding a progress update - it seems that olaf is aware of all the major bugs and is working on them as we speak!

Good work guys - it's really coming along!

jalex9
03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
I just signed up to developer mailing list and sent an email to Olaf about joining the developers.

In the meantime I did rebuild and test. The local .ty that failed before barfed with an error "Processing failed- see editor log for more information. Last message was:
Error: transcode:tytranscode.c:363:
Error: Decode Ran out of input bytes

I will attach the log.

I then found an indexed show from my now showing and that one worked perfectly. Output seemed to stay in sync also.

jalex9

Yesterday I commited some fixes for the hang-ups and Roawn commited some audio fixes - can you rebuild and retest.

BTW - The loop you were looking at is the GUI waiting for the threads to complete their work. It was the threads you needed to look at to see where it was hanging.

Please join the developer mailing list on Sourceforge for help in building and debugging tyStudio.

jalex9
03-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Ummm, does preview drop the attachement?

olaf_sc
03-27-2003, 03:29 PM
TyIndex is not running hence it doesn't update the nowshowing info.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by ScubaBudy
The Now Showing list is not being updated it only has the shows up untill the day I installed this Software no new shows are in the list?

Please help!

ScubaBudy

ScubaBudy
03-27-2003, 04:05 PM
So how can I TyIndex to run again?

TyIndex is not running hence it doesn't update the nowshowing info.

Cheers Olaf

AlphaWolf
03-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by motionblurrr

YES, I transferred it in binary mode... anyway you guys probably already know this but I thought I'd post it for any other n00bs. If you get this error change directories so you are in VAR (cd var) before you run the "bash /var/tyserver.ppc.sh" command to install it. Once I did this it extracted properly and installed.

Little directive error on my part. Fixed the script.

Droidyman
03-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Tyserver.
I've got it to unpack but it won't update or backup the rc.sysinit.
It keeps saying read-only file system.
Help. Linux has never been my thing. I'm getting better, but i'm stuck. I can't even chmod it.

Andrij

AlphaWolf
03-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Sorry, been extremely busy the last two days (its getting close to being that time of the year again)

Come on Alpha, you know i have never been part of any lynching
on this board. I was just stating that we were under the impression
that tydemux made an mpeg that was legal and jdiner's wasn't.

Lynch is just a metaphore. :D But what I was saying is that nobodys was, not docs remuxer, the origional vsplit, extractstream, tyconvert, to include jdiners vsplit. The truth is, none of these were even going in that direction, complete or not. They just wanted working mpegs that would sync. In jdiners case, in order to edit them, you had to use custom made software. Thats another reason I had a lot of initial interest in tydemux, is because one of the goals is to not do that.

AlphaWolf
03-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Droidyman
Tyserver.
I've got it to unpack but it won't update or backup the rc.sysinit.
It keeps saying read-only file system.
Help. Linux has never been my thing. I'm getting better, but i'm stuck. I can't even chmod it.

Andrij

What tivo model and software revision?

Droidyman
03-27-2003, 05:45 PM
It's the UK one.
Latest uk software 2.5.5

Andrij

AlphaWolf
03-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Hmm...as I expected. The installer script is supposed to automaticaly take care of this. Apparently the UK tivos have some sort of problem with the algorithm I use to automaticaly remount the partition. Without actualy having a UK unit, I can't tell exactly what this problem is.

You can manualy remount your partition to be writable by executing this command prior to running the script:

# mount -o remount,rw /

Droidyman
03-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Ah! I vaguely remember doing this when I installed Tivo web. Which would make sense.
My memory has gone to mush!
Thanks

Andrij

motionblurrr
03-27-2003, 06:55 PM
When I'm using TyEditor Studio and I select a local ty file is it supposed to play at normal speed in the little window? When I have the Frame mode unchecked and click play it shows me every 4th or 5th frame.. so it's totally chunky. I've adjusted the Play Speed to no avail. If I change it to frame mode I cannot move between individual frames.. the best I can get is like every 2nd or 3rd frame.

Is this normal? Any thoughts one what might be the problem? I've tried it on two PCs.. one is a 1.4Ghz Athlon and the other is an Athlon 2100 XP. Both have at least 512MB of memory.

MrBassMan
03-27-2003, 07:54 PM
When I'm using TyEditor Studio and I select a local ty file is it supposed to play at normal speed in the little window? When I have the Frame mode unchecked and click play it shows me every 4th or 5th frame.. so it's totally chunky. I've adjusted the Play Speed to no avail. If I change it to frame mode I cannot move between individual frames.. the best I can get is like every 2nd or 3rd frame.

Is this normal? Any thoughts one what might be the problem? I've tried it on two PCs.. one is a 1.4Ghz Athlon and the other is an Athlon 2100 XP. Both have at least 512MB of memory.

No problem - except with what you understood it should do. ;)

It is a GOP editor, not a frame editor - a GOP appears every n frames - it is only at these points we can display an image and mark a cut.

Perhaps the check box should have had the label GOP mode? - But then people would say - what's a GOP?

Frame mode basically means you are jumping from one frame to the next available frame (at a GOP header). When not in frame mode, the editor does this automatically in real time. BUT, as we cannot access every frame, the image jumps from GOP to GOP.

Clear as Mud?

motionblurrr
03-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Ahhhh ok.. I thought my PC was slow or something.. :)

Well my next question was actually going to be what is GOP but now that you've explained that I understand. Thank you!

motionblurrr
03-27-2003, 10:37 PM
I've posted this on the source forge bug tracker but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or knows how to get around it.

I downloaded a ty file and whem demux'ing it I get an error that says "Unable to repair overflow" after it processed several hundred megs.

The bug tracker report can be found here (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=711172&group_id=58876&atid=489151).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Droidyman
03-28-2003, 04:59 AM
No problem - except with what you understood it should do. ;)

It is a GOP editor, not a frame editor - a GOP appears every n frames - it is only at these points we can display an image and mark a cut.

Perhaps the check box should have had the label GOP mode? - But then people would say - what's a GOP?

Frame mode basically means you are jumping from one frame to the next available frame (at a GOP header). When not in frame mode, the editor does this automatically in real time. BUT, as we cannot access every frame, the image jumps from GOP to GOP.

Clear as Mud?

Perhaps it should be 'I Frame mode', as the GOP starts on an I frame rather than a B or P frame ?

MrBassMan
03-28-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Droidyman
Perhaps it should be 'I Frame mode', as the GOP starts on an I frame rather than a B or P frame ?

Afraid not - not every I frame has a GOP header.

burriko
03-28-2003, 07:52 AM
I just loaded up Tyeditor to find that none of the shows recorded in the last 2 days have been indexed.
Is it possible that Tyindex has crashed? Is there some way i can check if it's still running?

03-28-2003, 08:01 AM
PS AUX

burriko
03-28-2003, 08:06 AM
thanks.

i guess it is still running then. i'm pretty sure it's not doing any indexing though.

root 132 99.9 15.6 4508 2168 ? S 12:29 56:37 /var/index/tyindex

laserfan
03-28-2003, 09:55 AM
I have had excellent results using TyEditor on old TyTools (tserver_mfs) extracted tystreams, but have observed a couple of issues with it that I'm not sure I've seen described here before:

1. While it initially allowing saving/opening of marker files, it no longer does (doesn't even present a Save As dialog). Nor does it present an Open dialog if I wanted to access a marker file. I tried reinstalling to no avail. Not sure what broke...

2. I always Process to Elementary streams. Once I've done this, TyEditor says "No stream loaded" and my markers are greyed-out. Aggravating if I'm forced to Cancel for any reason, or if the process aborted on a bad GOP, cuz you have to Kill TE and then re-index and re-edit again from scratch.

If anyone has any tips/advice for me by all means let 'em fly. In the meantime I have already successfully created 5 or 6 DVDs (correction, EIGHT now) with this tool in conjunction with SpruceUp and Nero, and am thrilled with the progress I am making.

Using Windows 2000 SP3.

MrBassMan
03-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by laserfan
I have had excellent results using TyEditor on old TyTools (tserver_mfs) extracted tystreams, but have observed a couple of issues with it that I'm not sure I've seen described here before:

1. While it initially allowing saving/opening of marker files, it no longer does (doesn't even present a Save As dialog). Nor does it present an Open dialog if I wanted to access a marker file. I tried reinstalling to no avail. Not sure what broke...

2. I always Process to Elementary streams. Once I've done this, TyEditor says "No stream loaded" and my markers are greyed-out. Aggravating if I'm forced to Cancel for any reason, or if the process aborted on a bad GOP, cuz you have to Kill TE and then re-index and re-edit again from scratch.

If anyone has any tips/advice for me by all means let 'em fly. In the meantime I have already successfully created 5 or 6 DVDs with this tool in conjunction with SpruceUp and Nero, and am thrilled with the progress I am making.

Using Windows 2000 SP3.

1. The menu options only work when you have markers in the list - the next release will also ensure there are no invalid markers (mismatched stops/starts).

2. In the next release, a locally stored ty file will remain active in the editor as will your markers. Processing a remote file will cause the file to be unloaded from the editor and the marker list will be cleared. This is necessary because the connection needs to be released to the processing task.

In the longer term, options to auto-save indexes and markers will be added.

mw2000
03-28-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks very much for that tip. I was transferring the tyserver into tivo over and over and just couldn't make it work - until now :)

ScubaBudy
03-28-2003, 11:36 AM
I am having problems running tyeditor again in Windows XP, I had it working then all of a sudden it stoped. When I double click on the file it loads in memory and just keeps taking up more memory in task manager I have to end process. Can someone help with this?

Thanks

MrBassMan
03-28-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ScubaBudy
I am having problems running tyeditor again in Windows XP, I had it working then all of a sudden it stoped. When I double click on the file it loads in memory and just keeps taking up more memory in task manager I have to end process. Can someone help with this?

Thanks
Find the file editorlog.txt on your hard disk and delete this first - let me know if this works. It has for others.

BUT - before you do this, check the file to see how large it is and also see if there is a set of messages repeating in the file. Let me know the results as it will help prove a theory.

The next release of tyeditor will automatically delete the previous log at startup. What I think may be happening is the log file has become extremely large and loading it into the log viewer is eating up all your memory.

ScubaBudy
03-28-2003, 11:56 AM
The file was 5 gig I could not look in it but when I deleted it all works now thanks!

laserfan
03-28-2003, 12:59 PM
1. The menu options only work when you have markers in the list - the next release will also ensure there are no invalid markers (mismatched stops/starts).

2. In the next release, a locally stored ty file will remain active in the editor as will your markers...Thanks, 2. is clear but I must dispute 1.

If I create any markers that I wish to Save, selection of Save does not do anything. Like I said, this worked initially, so I know what it's supposed to look like, but it doesn't work any longer.

motionblurrr
03-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Aggravating if I'm forced to Cancel for any reason, or if the process aborted on a bad GOP, cuz you have to Kill TE and then re-index and re-edit again from scratch.

Relating to this same type of frustration...

Once all of my recordings have been indexed on the tivo with tyindex, I can select a show and do the editing w/o downloading the whole ty file first, and this is great.. BUT here are two problems that I wonder if can be addressed in a future release:

1) If I download a ty file that has already been indexed by tyindex and go into tystudio editor later on to edit it, I have to wait for it to index again... if it was already indexed on the tivo why is it not indexed when I download it?

2) If I download a ty file (indexed or not) and open it up and let tystudio editor do the indexing, why does tystudio editor have to index it again if I open the very same ty file again later?

Can this indexing information be saved somewhere? Please say it can! Sure, indexing a 30minute show doesn't take that long, but indexing a 2 hour show takes forever!

ieatlint
03-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Not exaclty a bug, but I'm having trouble compiling the suite. I'm running a fully patched RedHat 8 installation (2.4.18-24) with gcc 3.2.

It gets pretty far in the make process, but when it runs typrocess's make file, the following occurs:
g++ -pthread -o typrocess typrocess.o main.o ../tymplex/libtymplex.a ../libs/libthreadlib.a ../tytranscode/libtytranscode.a ../tydemux/libtydemux.a ../libs/mpeg2dec/libvo/libvo.a ../libs/mpeg2dec/libmpeg2/.libs/libmpeg2.a ../liba52/liba52.a
../tymplex/libtymplex.a(tymplex.o): In function `tymultiplexjob::add_audio_input(unsigned long)':
/home/ieatlint/tivo/ty/tydemux/tymplex/tymplex.cpp:250: undefined reference to `DTSStream::Probe(IBitStream&)'
../tymplex/libtymplex.a(interact.o): In function `MultiplexJob::InputStreamsFromCmdLine(unsigned, char**)':
/home/ieatlint/tivo/ty/tydemux/tymplex/../../../mjpeg/mjpeg_play/mplex/interact.cpp:392: undefined reference to `DTSStream::Probe(IBitStream&)'
../tymplex/libtymplex.a(multiplexor.o): In function `Multiplexor::InitInputStreamsForVideo(MultiplexJob&)':
/usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/stl_iterator.h:593: undefined reference to `DTSStream::DTSStream[in-charge](IBitStream&, Multiplexor&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [typrocess] Error 1

Sorry to say I don't know enough about gcc and c++. Please advise.

btw, why are you seemingly providing support for DTS (if even just to error out when detected)?

olaf_sc
03-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Currently working on a faster tivo side indexer - this will natrually speedup PC side indexing also - will probably not be in Beta 2 but maybe in Beta 3.

Cheers Olaf

Relating to this same type of frustration...

Once all of my recordings have been indexed on the tivo with tyindex, I can select a show and do the editing w/o downloading the whole ty file first, and this is great.. BUT here are two problems that I wonder if can be addressed in a future release:

1) If I download a ty file that has already been indexed by tyindex and go into tystudio editor later on to edit it, I have to wait for it to index again... if it was already indexed on the tivo why is it not indexed when I download it?

2) If I download a ty file (indexed or not) and open it up and let tystudio editor do the indexing, why does tystudio editor have to index it again if I open the very same ty file again later?

Can this indexing information be saved somewhere? Please say it can! Sure, indexing a 30minute show doesn't take that long, but indexing a 2 hour show takes forever!

olaf_sc
03-28-2003, 07:26 PM
You will need to update your mpeg_play sources from CVS - yes mplex/tymplex has support for DTS audio. If I just had a DTS encoder it would be really nice :).

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by ieatlint
Not exaclty a bug, but I'm having trouble compiling the suite. I'm running a fully patched RedHat 8 installation (2.4.18-24) with gcc 3.2.

It gets pretty far in the make process, but when it runs typrocess's make file, the following occurs:
g++ -pthread -o typrocess typrocess.o main.o ../tymplex/libtymplex.a ../libs/libthreadlib.a ../tytranscode/libtytranscode.a ../tydemux/libtydemux.a ../libs/mpeg2dec/libvo/libvo.a ../libs/mpeg2dec/libmpeg2/.libs/libmpeg2.a ../liba52/liba52.a
../tymplex/libtymplex.a(tymplex.o): In function `tymultiplexjob::add_audio_input(unsigned long)':
/home/ieatlint/tivo/ty/tydemux/tymplex/tymplex.cpp:250: undefined reference to `DTSStream::Probe(IBitStream&)'
../tymplex/libtymplex.a(interact.o): In function `MultiplexJob::InputStreamsFromCmdLine(unsigned, char**)':
/home/ieatlint/tivo/ty/tydemux/tymplex/../../../mjpeg/mjpeg_play/mplex/interact.cpp:392: undefined reference to `DTSStream::Probe(IBitStream&)'
../tymplex/libtymplex.a(multiplexor.o): In function `Multiplexor::InitInputStreamsForVideo(MultiplexJob&)':
/usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/stl_iterator.h:593: undefined reference to `DTSStream::DTSStream[in-charge](IBitStream&, Multiplexor&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [typrocess] Error 1

Sorry to say I don't know enough about gcc and c++. Please advise.

btw, why are you seemingly providing support for DTS (if even just to error out when detected)?

invader zog
03-29-2003, 02:02 PM
First off -- just want to say how much I appreciate this tool. It looks like when the bugs are ironed out that it is going to be amazing!

I've only gotten Tystudio to process a TY successfully once. I get very erratic results even on the same ty file.

Sometimes it will make it through part of the way (seems to die at differnet places) then just stall w/ high CPU usage.

Yesterday, it was processing, but EXTREMELY (i.e. about 20X slower than normal) the file. After ~ an hour, I gave up.

I've gotten a "failed demux" error (sorry -- I didn't write it down)

I tried using the same file under a RH box I have, and it processed fine.

DirecTivo
Windows XP (no service packs -- oops)
.TY files coming from Tytool 6r3

03-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Izog--It is documentated that tystudio doesn't always work with ty files from tytools. I suggest you try ty tools extracted with tystudio or with mfs_ftp.

Neutronflux
03-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Can someone tell me if the windows problems manifest themselves only in XP -- if they do, then I'd be more than willing to switch over to Windows 2000 Server.

Olaf? John? =]

snoopy
03-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Neutronflux
Can someone tell me if the windows problems manifest themselves only in XP -- if they do, then I'd be more than willing to switch over to Windows 2000 Server.

Olaf? John? =]

I have been following the list serv and while not a developer myself, it appears that there are numerous reasons all being looked at in grave detail right now. In my humble opinion, i would hold off on switching to Windows 2000.

03-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Windows 2000 has some of the same problems.

Neutronflux
03-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks Snoopy, you're right -- I'll wait and see what problems are addressed and see if I get the green light from the coding powers that be.

MannyL
03-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Ok I'm using ty streams made from mfs_ftp, I'm running Windows XP. Trying to convert the .ty stream to a mpeg. Each file stops at a different point but the same point each time.

The only one i've logged is a .ty stream that is 1.03 GB it stops at

TyDemux: Chunks: 8434 TyTranscode: Frame 99701 TyMples: Written: 1075MB

The cancel button works. Any ideas?

snoopy
03-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MannyL
Any ideas?

yes, patience my friend. Olaf and others are working on it.

bato
03-29-2003, 04:52 PM
I have been following the list serv and while not a developer myself, it appears that there are numerous reasons all being looked at in grave detail right now. In my humble opinion, i would hold off on switching to Windows 2000.
I agree with Snoopy, there are a lot of fixes already. I'm waiting for beta 2 to do some real editing and DVD burning. I believe all of my problems are already taken care of, but I don't know how to compile the source with the fixes to test, so I'll wait.

misato
03-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by MannyL
Ok I'm using ty streams made from mfs_ftp, I'm running Windows XP. Trying to convert the .ty stream to a mpeg. Each file stops at a different point but the same point each time.

The only one i've logged is a .ty stream that is 1.03 GB it stops at

TyDemux: Chunks: 8434 TyTranscode: Frame 99701 TyMples: Written: 1075MB

The cancel button works. Any ideas?

These problems are a known issue, and being worked on.

If you have space in the tivo, I'd suggest just leaving those programs there pending the next beta version. (Can you imagine what the traffic here would have been like if Beta 1 had been released even earlier than it was? Beta 1 chokes on a much smaller % of files than the alpha versions did...)

If you're running out of space on the tivo and want to keep those shows, I'd recommend you extract with mfs_ftp and keep the tmf file intact on a PC's HD or on CDR. Save the shows in that form on a PC, and insert them back into the tivo later, when a later form of tyeditor is available that may handle that file better.

invader zog
03-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Izog--It is documentated that tystudio doesn't always work with ty files from tytools. I suggest you try ty tools extracted with tystudio or with mfs_ftp.

That seemed to do it.

Installation of the tyserver was as easy (almost... tooooo easy)

I haven't tried the convert->DVD mode yet... does this change the resolution to 720x480??

MrBassMan
03-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Windows 2000 has some of the same problems.

It turned out all platforms had the problems - there were two independant reasons - both should now be fixed and a beta2 release is planned soon.

As usual - 'soon' is a relative term when dealing with a project of this kind.

Numerous other fixes and a few small new features will be in beta2

invader zog
03-29-2003, 07:04 PM
The date sorting in the now showing isn't quite right.

Entries:

7/5/02
6/22/03
3/9/03
3/9/03
3/6/03
3/5/03
3/29/03
3/29/03
3/28/03

etc...

Looks like two issues:

1. The year is not being taken into account
2. Plain old sorting isn't quite working..

Thanks again!!

MrBassMan
03-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by invader zog
The date sorting in the now showing isn't quite right.

Entries:

7/5/02
6/22/03
3/9/03
3/9/03
3/6/03
3/5/03
3/29/03
3/29/03
3/28/03

etc...

Looks like two issues:

1. The year is not being taken into account
2. Plain old sorting isn't quite working..

Thanks again!!
Please report bugs to the sourceforge site - we may not see bugs reported to DD.

Also - before reporting a bug, check to see if it is already known - as this one is.

BTW: This will not be fixed in beta2.

There is a more serious bug here - the date and month are the wrong way around :p

OK - it's correct for you Yanks but us Brits prefer our days before our months. ;)

invader zog
03-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Well... you also drive on the wrong side of the street :) :)

I'll check out the sourceforge site next time I spot a bug..

MrBassMan
03-29-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by invader zog
Well... you also drive on the wrong side of the street :) :)

I'll check out the sourceforge site next time I spot a bug..

I hear the EU are going to pass a directive that says all European countries must drive on the right hand side of the road by 2005. :(

To minimise the impact they have decided to phase it in - buses and lorries by 2004 and cars by 2005 :D

osetivo
03-29-2003, 08:57 PM
To minimise the impact they have decided to phase it in - buses and lorries by 2004 and cars by 2005 :D

ROTFLMAO

AlphaWolf
03-29-2003, 09:31 PM
I hear the EU are going to pass a directive that says all European countries must drive on the right hand side of the road by 2005. :(

Heh, are they realy gonna do this?

pgfitzgerald
03-29-2003, 10:04 PM
I've got Windows XP SP1, Sony DirecTiVo 3.1, and TyStudio 0.5.0 Beta 1.

I've successfully transfered a ty file from my TiVo to my XP box using tyserver.

The ty file should contain Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. When I process it to elemental streams with no audio transcoding, my DVD authoring program recognizes it as Dolby Digital 2.0 (Stereo).

What's up?

invader zog
03-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by pgfitzgerald

The ty file should contain Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. When I process it to elemental streams with no audio transcoding, my DVD authoring program recognizes it as Dolby Digital 2.0 (Stereo).

What's up? [/B]

I was wondering about how Tytool handles 5.1 streams that start with dual channel content at the beginning. Normally I just ignore the first x hunks to get it working -- how do you do this in TyEditor?

olaf_sc
03-29-2003, 11:26 PM
The first part is DD 2.0 (the HBO intro e.g.) the film is 5.1

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by pgfitzgerald
I've got Windows XP SP1, Sony DirecTiVo 3.1, and TyStudio 0.5.0 Beta 1.

I've successfully transfered a ty file from my TiVo to my XP box using tyserver.

What's up?

pgfitzgerald
03-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Well, I feel like a dork. LOL

Thanks for the tip.

Any suggestions on keeping video and audio synced. It's way out of whack.

Other than that, I haven't run into any issues not already addressed in this thread.

Keep up the good work!

Paul

The first part is DD 2.0 (the HBO intro e.g.) the film is 5.1

Cheers Olaf

MannyL
03-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by misato
These problems are a known issue, and being worked on.

If you have space in the tivo, I'd suggest just leaving those programs there pending the next beta version. (Can you imagine what the traffic here would have been like if Beta 1 had been released even earlier than it was? Beta 1 chokes on a much smaller % of files than the alpha versions did...)

If you're running out of space on the tivo and want to keep those shows, I'd recommend you extract with mfs_ftp and keep the tmf file intact on a PC's HD or on CDR. Save the shows in that form on a PC, and insert them back into the tivo later, when a later form of tyeditor is available that may handle that file better.

Space is not an issue at this time. I was just hoping to have something I could watch on my laptop when I go away this weekend thats comming up.