PDA

View Full Version : Use Standby Mode When Extracting

03-24-2003, 09:39 AM
I found (particularly with tystudio and mfs_ftp) significantly greater extraction speeds and increased stability if I put my DTivo (Sony T-60) in standby mode.

With tystudio my extraction speed goes from about 1.5Mb/sec to about 2mB/sec. Further my tivo will sometimes reboot while extacting but is rock solid when I put the unit in standby.

dj_chiro
03-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah I had the same problem with my DSR6000 recently...
It's strange becasue I queued up about 5 things to D/L off the Tivo and it reboots on the same program... Never had my Tivo reboot when extracting before but I figured maybe it was too much for the Tivo to process...

My guess is the drives and processor are going nuts because you are recording 2 channels (dual Tuner) and extracting...

captain_video
03-26-2003, 04:41 PM
There's one thing I've noticed about DTivos with Xtreme installed. If the Tivo is already recording when you place it in standby, it may cause the Tivo to lock up or reboot. I found that it's best to place it in standby when there are no other processes running. Placing it in standby prior to performing extraction may speed up the transfer but you might want to avoid doing it if you've already started extracting. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or if it's something that I was experiencing on just my DTivos due to a glitch in the installed components. I don't use standby mode as a rule and I no longer have the rebooting or lockup problems that I used to have.

laserfan
03-28-2003, 02:42 PM
FWIW I tried this on my SA, and it didn't seem to improve transfer rates, unfortunately...

03-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Sorry, standby only helps with a Dtivo. With a SA receiver you may get an improvement if you tune to an empty channel (so you're not recording a buffer).

bato
03-28-2003, 03:15 PM
See previous post.

laserfan
03-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Sorry, standby only helps with a Dtivo. With a SA receiver you may get an improvement if you tune to an empty channel (so you're not recording a buffer). Yah, but I can't do this i.e. I'm not using Tivo's tuner--rather a cable box and video inputs... But "Standby" mode makes sense intuitively; I'm surprised it didn't help.

ronnythunder
03-28-2003, 05:23 PM
you can put both tuners on a dtivo on non-used channels also; i imagine this is the only benefit of standby that you're getting

ronny

BubbleLamp
03-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ronnythunder
you can put both tuners on a dtivo on non-used channels also; i imagine this is the only benefit of standby that you're getting

ronny

Standby on a DTivo stops the live buffer recording, but it doesn't do so for an SA.

olaf_sc
03-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Hello Folks,

I will soon after Beta 2 of TyStudio (no it's not yet released) start experimenting with different ways of generating higher download speeds.

If you want to be a part of those test (yes need several alpha testers) please send me a email (olaf_sc@yahoo.com). Note: This will be highly experimental code that will more than once send your Tivo south.

Afterall the whole idea is to seek ways to get the highest download speeds while still having the Tivo in a stable state - hence we will push the limits.

Cheers Olaf