PDA

View Full Version : Mintek 1600 - Slightly OT

thetaspell
03-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Does anyone have one of these units? After reading endless praise about being able to play "anything" thrown at it (CD-/+R, DVD-/+R/RW despite what is officialy supported) for $50 I figured what the heck. From my DSR6K, I've extracted/authored/burned several DVDs that playback fine with PowerDVD and on the XBox, but no luck with the Mintek. I used SpruceUp for simple menu and non-menu burns. On the former, the menu will at least display, but it simply won't play (although the elapsed time indicator works).

I've tried only two media at this point on my Sony DRU-500AX: Memorex DVD-R and the Sony DVD+RW that came with the burner. Same results with both. I've read posts claiming that UDF format and version can be a fickle issue with certain standalones, but alas I've found nothing conclusive on any of the DVDR forums so I figured I'd throw this slightly off-topic question in here in the off chance someone's dealt with this already. In my case, I'm using Nero 5.5.10.7. Tried UDF, UDF/ISO, and every permutation of version, etc., etc., etc.

Anyone had any luck with this particular unit? Media, burning software?

captain_video
03-26-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm surprised to hear that your Mintek won't play TyDVDs. My Brother-in-Law has one and it plays all my TyDVDs just fine (both DVD-R and -RWs). Here are a couple of sites that you may want to check out for more info on DVD players:

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/index.php

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/

Both sites contain info on Mintek and many other brands of DVD players.

03-26-2003, 09:36 AM
I have no trouble with a different Mintek unit. Mintek doesn't make the units, it's possible there is a change in unit. Try to play your DVD's in another standalone player. If necessary go to a nearby store. If they won't play in anything you're doing something wrong.

I've had good luck just using the Nero wizard and files created with IFOedit.

thetaspell
03-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.

Well, believe it or not, it's definitely the Mintek. Tried about 5 different media plus a sampler pack from meritline.com. They all play perfectly fine in my Xbox, my friend's Sony, another friend's Philips and an Apex. I gave the same disc to my coworker who also as a V2 Mintek. No dice. So I took that disc to Best Try and tried their Mintek floor model. Nope. But it played fine in two other standalones. I even tried media that others have absolutely sworn to work. Although this appears to be in stark contrast to everyone else's success with the Mintek, I decided to give mine away and get a different unit. Strange.

So anyway, based on my own experience, I would not recommend this POS.