PDA

View Full Version : Uploading a TY stream

Stephen
03-26-2003, 02:27 AM
Since I am recording shows faster than I can watch them (for a couple of days a week) and I dont care to toss another HD in the TIVO is there a way I can Download the ty stream to a local file server for saveing and then upload it back to the TIVO? I know tystudio/tools downloads and moves to mpg or whatever format u want.. but that isnt quite what I want (yet)

osetivo
03-26-2003, 09:17 AM
This mfs_ftp thread will show you how to extract/insert "tmf" files

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21915

invader zog
03-27-2003, 11:04 PM
I have mfs_ftp installed -- but I don't quite get how to create .tmf files -- most of the content that I'd like to upload has already been remuxed into an MPG..

Hi8
03-27-2003, 11:41 PM
mfs_ftp

is a hybrid FTP server, that provides a choice of format of file to extract. if your intension is to off-load and re-insert, you MUST download/transfer the file from the TiVo in the .tmf format. then just upload it back when you want to watch it.

1. download - > .tmf

2. upload - > .tmf

the mfs_ftp server takes care of creating the NowShowing listing.

invader zog
03-27-2003, 11:43 PM
As I understand TMF is some sort of a tar wrapper of .TY + .XML content. Are there any tools that will convert an MPEG -> TMF?

Hi8
03-27-2003, 11:49 PM
not yet..

but the info is what is needed to fill in the Nowshowing record that's what is in the XML data. you are better off keeping a copy in .tmf format, processing a copy to mpg if you want to watch on your pc, but keep the .tmf if you want to insert back to TiVo

invader zog
03-27-2003, 11:51 PM
It's too bad that tytool won't read and process TMF files -- it would be great to have these integrated so you can download your content and either burn to DVD or re-upload to the Tivo...

What is the easiest way to convert from TMF->TY?

Thanks for the help!

Hi8
03-27-2003, 11:59 PM
not sure you have to, the .tmf IS a .ty file, with extra data at the end. I haven't tried, but try renaming it and treat it as you normally would. vsplit may choke or error out... but it is worth a try.

also tyStudio, will eventually support the .tmf from what I understand.

AlphaWolf
03-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Hi8
not sure you have to, the .tmf IS a .ty file, with extra data at the end. I haven't tried, but try renaming it and treat it as you normally would. vsplit may choke or error out... but it is worth a try.

Nope, TMF is a tystream in a tar archive. Its stored in a structure that best preserves all of the streams unique information from the tivo. Vsplit wont process that.

rc3105
01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
I have mfs_ftp installed -- but I don't quite get how to create .tmf files -- most of the content that I'd like to upload has already been remuxed into an MPG..

AVI/MPEG/VOB upload to TiVo - is it possible to generate ty from MPG? (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20429)

Mbarr
01-16-2004, 06:22 AM
It seemed like this thread needed a summary, since it was sticky, and a bit unclear to those who haven't been lurking for a million years...

In order to copy stuff off the tivo, while still being able to everything you may want.. you want to use MFS-FTP to download a recording as a .ty file. (it's really a .ty+, but it just renames it to a .ty.) .ty+ is a normal ty file, suitable for use w/ tystudo, or tytools, or anything else, including mplayer, or tyshow, but with the XML data, (the title, date, etc) info included. It doesn't affect the programs, but allows the show to be reinstered into the tivo.

If you want to be able to watch the file from your PC, you can just use mplayer, or tyshow. (tyshow works with Windows Media PLayer, to allow you to just double click and watch a ty file. Mplayer is more unix/ mac os x.)

I download the ty's off my tivo, and can then either watch them on the PC/Mac or upload them back into the tivo. I have been burning ty's to DVD for friends, to watch on their laptops, since the editing time involved was too onerous to deal with. I could fit more.. but too much effort. This is a drag from the FTP program, load burning progam however much later, and click burn. End of story.

This of course doesn't help the MPG files.. but for the future....
(RC's message above takes care of that..)

AKLeeAnn
09-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I have been using my Series 1 Tivo with Tytools for about a decade and it still works beautifully for me. What I really want to do with it now is to upload to the Tivo. I've read about msf_ftp being able to do that, but that the video must be in .tmf or .ty format. What I want to upload are home videos which are not in that format. They were never recorded on the Tivo so are already in another format. I have tried plugging into my Tivo to play these files into it for recording onto the Tivo, I've tried making a DVD and playing them onto the Tivo that way, but anything I do, the Tivo assumes that it must be copywritten material (which it is not!) and will not record from any of these devices. So converting files to .tmf and then just dragging and dropping them from my PC onto the Tivo seems like the way to go. Plus, if it did work, it would record with the name "Shopping Channel" or "Gone with the Wind" or whatever is in the Tivo's "Now Playing" brain. I know I could buy a new Tivo and my problems are solved, but I don't want to do that. I have a lifetime subscription and the Tivo is working just great. The answer 10 years ago was that it couldn't be done. But how about now in 2012? Is there a way to remux these things into .tmf?