PDA

View Full Version : Help with Noscramble recommend approach

luv2hack
03-27-2003, 08:13 AM
What do you guys recommend for turning off scambling? I am running DTivo SAT60 with 3.1. I do not care about my old recordings, they will be deleted.

From what I understand, I can use the kernal patch:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda3 bs=1 skip=468 seek=550524 count=2

or

install noscramble.o

Do you run the kernal patch from telnet? And should I run the patch on the INACTIVE partition also?

This forum is great!!!! Thanks for everyones input.

Robert

Martlet
03-27-2003, 11:26 AM
You can find all the info you need in this thread: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19918

Your 2 options are to either patch the kernel so it doesn't ever scramble (or play scrambled streams), or, install the module to disable scrambling (and remove it to watch scrambled).

On page 3 of the above thread, you'll find newscramble_20.zip. This contains the auto scramble stuff, so you can toggle it from the tivo remote when you try to play scrambled content.

As for the best way, it's up to you. Patching the kernel doesn't involve installing a module, but you'll never watch scrambled content again. Back up your tivo first, typo, and it's a paperweight.

For the faint at heart, autoscramble can be installed from the bash prompt, and if it doesn't work, a reboot will fix your tivo. If it works for you and you're happy, you can put it in your rc.sysinit. Plus you can watch scrambled stuff if you have any, toggle between them with the remote, with the only caveat that you can't watch a scrambled show then go to live tv (watch a second of a noscrambled show after a scrambled show before going to live tv.)

You should probably ask any additional questions in the above mentioned thread.