PDA

View Full Version : TechTV TSS mentions this forum

superzap
03-27-2003, 01:30 PM
On Wednesday's The Screen Savers show in response to a call-in question about extraction, Leo Laporte mentioned this forum.

"Leo has tried to figure out how to do this, but he's given up because it's extremely complicated and time-consuming."

What a wimp. Hasn't he discovered mfs-ftp yet?

Here's (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,3421698,00.html) the info on their site. Note the warning "The thread may not stay there forever". Hopefully this causes no trouble for Vadim.

mrblack51
03-27-2003, 02:10 PM
ah, dont worry. onlye people who checked the website would know where to go...he kept saying that we were 'dealbase' or something like that

BubbleLamp
03-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Just looked, they took out the link here. They still have the link to AVS though.

And SZ, what the heck were you watching that braindead show for in the first place?

keith721
03-27-2003, 04:13 PM
but, it's just for this week ;)

superzap
03-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Just looked, they took out the link here. They still have the link to AVS though.

And SZ, what the heck were you watching that braindead show for in the first place? LOL. Once in a while they do have something of value with some of their guests like Dick DeBartolo. The DDB hyperlink is still there, points to this thread http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8091

AlphaWolf
03-27-2003, 05:27 PM
I don't watch the show much, but I've seen em do more complicated things than that. They probably wont say anything much to prevent from being sued.

bato
03-27-2003, 08:54 PM
I guess people do see the show and show notes.

Most users ever online was 177 on 03-26-2003 at 09:26 PM
I remember the last day was somewhere in December 2001.

BubbleLamp
03-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by bato
I guess people do see the show and show notes.

I remember the last day was somewhere in December 2001.

Brace yourselves, there's going to be a noobie flood. :eek:

sky12
03-28-2003, 04:04 AM
I personally enjoy TSS even though I know/heard of most what they talk about.
(Like the silent PC, that was a cool gadget even though I solved the problem of soundproofing my PC by putting the noisey stuff in the basement)

A question for the tech lovers out there.
What is a good tech-related show out there?

Greg

rc3105
03-28-2003, 08:37 PM
anybody with mfs_ftp still got that episode on the tivo?

I'd like to see it, and I think it'd be hilarious to send Leo a tmf on dvd... :D

--
Riley

leolaporte
03-29-2003, 07:06 PM
I never said it was impossible, or even difficult, just that I hadn't gotten around to doing it. (I have a 200 GB DTivo with 3.1 and turbonet installed.)

We only had about 2 minutes to answer the question to so I told the caller that the AVS extraction forum had been pulled down but that there was still plenty of info on Dealdatabase.

I'm always hesitant to say too much - I don't want to draw down any heat here.

mrblack51
03-29-2003, 07:22 PM
nice to see you here leo. Im sure its difficult to answer some of those quesitons on the spot, having to be an expert on everything as such. For the stuff that you do show on TechTV, I for one appreciate it...its the best that we can expect.

Fugg
03-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by leolaporte
I'm always hesitant to say too much - I don't want to draw down any heat here.

Thank You
:)

AlphaWolf
03-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Put olaf_sc on your show, hes the main coder of tystudio and already lives in the area :cool: Noone better to tell everybody how to do it.

bato
03-29-2003, 10:22 PM
I have a 20 GB DTivo with 3.1 and turbonet installed.
Come on Leo, put at least 120 there man! :D

mrblack51
03-29-2003, 10:34 PM
(I have a 20 GB DTivo with 3.1 and turbonet installed.)

im kinda assuming you meant 40gb or higher...since i have never heard of an image smaller than 30gb after divorce. =)

leolaporte
03-29-2003, 11:21 PM
It was a typo: 200 GB - an 80 and a 120.

Great idea about olaf_sc. I'll work on booking him asap.

We've shown a hard drive upgrade and a turbonet install on the show. Next is TivoWeb. I'm debating whether to show video extraction. I probably can't do a how-to, but maybe interviewing olaf would do.

rc3105
03-29-2003, 11:34 PM
hey leo, glad to see you finally found where all the fun tivo stuff is going on.

you should also take a look at alt.org/forum, that's where the developer geeks congregate when we're not in irc.

take a look at mfs_ftp, it lets you use a regular ftp client to extract/insert/move video around.

--
Riley

olaf_sc
03-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Hi

You might want to check out http://dvd-create.sf.net/tystudio for a compleate info in regards to TyStudio.

Cheers Olaf

It was a typo: 200 GB - an 80 and a 120.

Great idea about olaf_sc. I'll work on booking him asap.

We've shown a hard drive upgrade and a turbonet install on the show. Next is TivoWeb. I'm debating whether to show video extraction. I probably can't do a how-to, but maybe interviewing olaf would do.

bato
03-30-2003, 12:13 AM
I'm debating whether to show video extraction. I probably can't do a how-to, but maybe interviewing olaf would do.
Too little time for a how-to, maybe some legal problems there too (about disabling scramble in Dtivo).

I don't want too much atention follow by an "upgrade" and then can't extract anymore.

AlphaWolf
03-30-2003, 12:24 AM
I don't think there would be any legal trouble at all if you showed how to do extraction on a standalone tivo, as there is no scrambling, so the DMCA doesn't apply, and the sa streams themselves aren't the property of directv.

BTW, They tried to beat our method of disabling the video scrambling in the series 2 dtivo, and we were even able to get around that.

mrblack51
03-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
I don't think there would be any legal trouble at all if you showed how to do extraction on a standalone tivo, as there is no scrambling, so the DMCA doesn't apply, and the sa streams themselves aren't the property of directv.

BTW, They tried to beat our method of disabling the video scrambling in the series 2 dtivo, and we were even able to get around that.

its awesome that you mention that, because it provides "significant non-infringing uses" for the software and such. thats one of those things in the DMCA which can be a sticky wicket

AlphaWolf
03-30-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by mrblack51
its awesome that you mention that, because it provides "significant non-infringing uses" for the software and such. thats one of those things in the DMCA which can be a sticky wicket

*shrug* I dunno :) I always thought that the DMCA doesn't allow fair use at all, hence why some legislators wanted to append a fair use amendment to it.

olaf_sc
03-30-2003, 01:39 AM
I have my self a hard time seeing any DMCA in the case of TIVO. After all they can't prevent us from tinkering witha a kernel that is licensed under GPL.

Cheers Olaf

PS: Leo, if you want to proceed just send be a email - olaf_sc@yahoo.com - I live in the bay area so I can give you hands on help if you want

*shrug* I dunno :) I always thought that the DMCA doesn't allow fair use at all, hence why some legislators wanted to append a fair use amendment to it.

AlphaWolf
03-30-2003, 01:06 PM
There is one possible thing to consider though, I have heard numerous times that the streams fed through directv are the property of directv, and aren't supposed to be duplicated 1:1 (something to do with a theft of service issue). Although an analog conversion through something like a capture card is allowed.

Fugg
03-30-2003, 01:54 PM
woops! sorry...

AlphaWolf
03-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, I am not realy trying to argue anything here, just pointing out the shaky ground you might be on.

leolaporte
03-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Wonderful, Olaf. I've emailed you and we'll get you on the show. I installed TyStudio and the Tivo server today. Very nice job.

As for the DMCA issues, it's true that having a significant non-infringing use helps, but there still haven't been any court cases so it's all up in the air.

We don't mind challenging the DMCA from time to time. We're doing Xbox mods all this week, for example. But there's no reason to turn up the heat unnecessarily.

I have no problem showing things like Tivoweb. Video extraction is a little trickier but as long as we frame it as a report on the phenomenon and not a how-to we're covered by the First Ammendment.

I'm going to stay away from noppv and stuff like that, however.

AlphaWolf
03-31-2003, 07:56 PM
heh, saw leo demonstrating the spycam on TSS and noticed tyeditor running on it.

Ah sorry, I need a life :)

NutMonkey
03-31-2003, 10:48 PM
Be sure to post a nice big post here when Olaf's going to be on (although I imagine that finding a nicely editted synchronized mpeg copy that's ready to burn to DVD would not be too hard if I miss it! :) )

keith721
04-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Leo has the desktop image posted on his site at:

http://www.leoville.com/pix.shtml

Looks like:

- TyEditor processing an A&E show
- DOS telnet session into his TiVo
- CuteFTP session with his TiVo

must not have been terribly difficult, after all ;)
Congrats, Leo !! :D :D

MrBassMan
04-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Hey Leo - as the author of tyEditor, I would like to come on the show too.

Of course, I would expect my travel expenses to to re-embursed (from the UK).

No? ... Oh well, it was worth a try! ;)

osetivo
04-01-2003, 03:36 PM
OMG, it's "Heaven Can Wait". Not that there's anything wrong with that movie.

leolaporte
04-01-2003, 04:07 PM
That fact that you recognized it, osetivo, is more telling than anything I could say. :p

I'll confess - I was shamed into finishing the project and get extraction going. Thanks to the TyStudio team it was trivial. (Kinda fun to get the NYC and LA locals, too. Oops. Did I say that?)

Next step, get it working on Mac OS X.

osetivo
04-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Hey Leo!

Touche'

I just figured you'd put something cool, or at least something from within the last several decades. :)

We were all a bit disappointed with the comment.

"Leo has tried to figure out how to do this, but he's given up because it's extremely complicated and time-consuming."

Glad to see you were up to the minor challenge, stick around, if you can.

BTW I recall seeing "Heavan can wait" in theater.

AlphaWolf
04-01-2003, 04:49 PM
That fact that you recognized it, osetivo, is more telling than anything I could say. :p

I'll confess - I was shamed into finishing the project and get extraction going. Thanks to the TyStudio team it was trivial. (Kinda fun to get the NYC and LA locals, too. Oops. Did I say that?)

Next step, get it working on Mac OS X.

We were supposed to have a mac port way back during our pre-release stages...not quite sure what happened.

MrBassMan
04-01-2003, 06:15 PM
We were supposed to have a mac port way back during our pre-release stages...not quite sure what happened.

Our Mac volunteer seems to have either fallen off the edge of the world, touched the Tivo power supply or something similar. He has not responded to any messages.

Anyone else out there capable of doing a Mac port?

olaf_sc
04-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Well, we aimed using QT-X11 for the Mac port - it would make most things quite easy at least in theory. We also had a Mac developer taking care of that part - however he fell of the horizon. Mailed him but no answer.

Now since I kind of want to provide a Mac version I tried to setup and compile the TyEditor gui my self, however QT linking faild in the last stage :(. Due to limited time I since then had no time to finish it of. Time is a major factor porting TyEditor to Mac with the native QT MacOS X tool kit is about 5 min of work. Tested my self with a eval kit.

Yea, we could use some native MacOS X tool kit but that would take even more time and we would loose the main benifit with QT namely one source base for all platforms.

Cheers Olaf

Neutronflux
04-02-2003, 04:44 AM
Wow, Leo Laporte from The TSS -- incredible. We now have an in-house celebrity... It would be really great for some of the coders on this board who have contributed so much time and effort get some recognition on TV -- Jdiner, Olaf and many more... perhaps too many to mention.

But if you're using these tools Leo, I think it would definitely be great to devote a segment of the show to this board, it's endeavours and some of the amazing software that has been developed here. Hell, you've had segments on Wardriving and other *grey* area stuff. [not that there's anything wrong with that]

ohu2
04-02-2003, 01:04 PM
I dont understand what all the wories are about extracting. If you can hook tivo to the vcr or now or dvd recorader why cant you extract it.
In my mind I really dont see a differance.:confused:

BubbleLamp
04-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by ohu2
I dont understand what all the wories are about extracting. If you can hook tivo to the vcr or now or dvd recorader why cant you extract it.
In my mind I really dont see a differance.:confused:

Copy to VCR is analog, lots of integrity lost. BIG difference compared to an EXACT pure digital copy.

ohu2
04-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Ok your right but what about to a set top dvd recorder. You can get s-video in and out same as your tivo to the tv. (unless new tivo have composite input.) :confused:

ohu2
04-02-2003, 01:39 PM
http://www.fajkowski.com/tivo/
ok what about this? I will try if I can get tivo running again. Looking for a clean image for sat-t60. been too scared of my wife to upgrade tivo befor it broke.( I think see loves it more the me:( )

BubbleLamp
04-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Ok your right but what about to a set top dvd recorder. You can get s-video in and out same as your tivo to the tv. (unless new tivo have composite input.) :confused:

Still analog.

olaf_sc
04-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Tyc doesn't work :( but you can always try tydemux 0.4.2 for macOS X

http://www.fajkowski.com/tivo/
ok what about this? I will try if I can get tivo running again. Looking for a clean image for sat-t60. been too scared of my wife to upgrade tivo befor it broke.( I think see loves it more the me:( )

POTI
04-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Whatever happened to that sexy kate that used to be on TSS??

"ok yes I have no life"

POTI

cwingert
04-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Morgan is the hottie. Bar None.

BubbleLamp
04-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Kate was a dog, Morgan is a horse. The hottie was Jessica.

leolaporte
04-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Good news. Olaf is going to be on The Screen Savers demonstrating TyStudio on May 8. Tune in at 7p Eastern/4p Pacific. If you can't bear to watch the whole show, I'll post a more exact time for his 7 minute segment when we slot it.

MrBassMan
04-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Kate was a dog, Morgan is a horse. The hottie was Jessica.

So what's Olaf going to be? :D

MrBassMan
04-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Good news. Olaf is going to be on The Screen Savers demonstrating TyStudio on May 8. Tune in at 7p Eastern/4p Pacific. If you can't bear to watch the whole show, I'll post a more exact time for his 7 minute segment when we slot it.

Please - somebody has to send me a copy of this recording. I have been working with the guy for several months now and have no idea what he looks like.

Leo - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - Have a word with the studio bosses - let them know your show would go down very well over here in the UK - I'm sure Mr Murdock could fit you into one of his channels somewhere.

ctsshack
04-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Kate was good looking in a geeky sort of way ;) . She remined me of someone I once dated when I lived in TN.

cwingert
04-03-2003, 08:26 PM
OK, I've only been watching for a couple of years. Who the hell is Jessica? Web searches only yield face shots of her head turned.

Morgan is not a horse, your momma is. :)

BubbleLamp
04-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Heh ctsshack, was she your cousin? ;)

cwinger, it was a play on her name (http://www.morganhorse.com/).

Jessica Corbin used to be on the show. She looks like Uma Thurman with reddish hair.

osetivo
04-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by MrBassMan
Please - somebody has to send me a copy of this recording. I have been working with the guy [Olaf] for several months now and have no idea what he looks like.

Back when the SF site went public, there was a question here as to the identity of that sinister looking TyStudio guy. I think Riley may have called him (Tystudio Guy) a goof or something, anyway, Olaf never told us who the guy was. (did he?) I have been wondering if the TyStudio guy was Olaf.

John Do you know who that guy is?

ctsshack
04-04-2003, 12:06 AM
BubbleLamp, You've got Tennessee confused with Kentucky:D

BubbleLamp
04-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by osetivo
Back when the SF site went public, there was a question here as to the identity of that sinister looking TyStudio guy. I think Riley may have called him (Tystudio Guy) a goof or something, anyway, Olaf never told us who the guy was. (did he?) I have been wondering if the TyStudio guy was Olaf.

John Do you know who that guy is?

Here's (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=90887#post90887) what he said about the banner on that site.

osetivo
04-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Well John was requesting a copy of Olafs appearance on TSS so he would know whatt Olaf looks like. My only point was that when Riley asked "yah! who is that goof???" Olaf answered why, but not who. I certainly wouldn't want to say "It's me" after being called a "goof" ;-)

Just rampant speculatation that TyStudio Guy could be Olaf, and thus we have our picture. What else have I got to do with my time.

Kelly
04-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Leo,

You said on a show recently that if one tried extraction that TurboNET would be disabled or turned off. Is this still the case or has that issue been cleared up?

Thanks!

Kelly

mrblack51
04-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Kelly
Leo,

You said on a show recently that if one tried extraction that TurboNET would be disabled or turned off. Is this still the case or has that issue been cleared up?

im fairly certain he misspoke. noone on this board has deal with an issue like that that i have heard of

hickory
04-04-2003, 05:20 PM
I remember the statement and I believe he was referring to DTivo's with the 3.1 version running. I hadn't used that version so I wasn't sure if he was correct or not.

Like mrblack said no one here apparently has an issue with it????

Neutronflux
04-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Nice to see that [some] of the tyeditor boys are going to be on TSS. I think that we also shouldn't overlook Josh Diner --- Josh should totally appear on the TSS as well. Just my opinion, which I'm sure doesn't count though...

Good job on the appearance and thank you Leo, much appreciated. It's nice to see people I know [a little] on to TSS.

Riley, national TV? -- Was that on Springer?

;]

el jefe
04-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Neutronflux

Riley, national TV? -- Was that on Springer?

;]

I'm guessing he's the guy in the Reebok commercial streaking at the soccer game.

captain_video
04-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Man, he sure is fast!

AlphaWolf
04-05-2003, 12:22 AM
TSS has some big balls doing those xbox mods on TV :)

rc3105
04-05-2003, 12:26 AM
... I think that we also shouldn't overlook Josh Diner --- Josh should totally appear on the TSS as well. Just my opinion, which I'm sure doesn't count though...
;]

maybe if they do an episode on how NOT to run a "gpl" project...

--
Riley

BubbleLamp
04-05-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by rc3105
maybe if they do an episode on how NOT to run a "gpl" project...

--
Riley

Get over yourself Riley. :o

rc3105
04-05-2003, 04:00 AM
tweren't me that did it

gpl violations would make an interesting show though

microsoft, sigma designs, lots of ip theft by big companies, not enough enforcement of ip rights imho

--
Riley

Kelly
04-05-2003, 04:16 AM
Wonderful, Olaf. I've emailed you and we'll get you on the show. I installed TyStudio and the Tivo server today. Very nice job. I'm going to stay away from noppv and stuff like that, however.

I just want to put my two cents in and say it would be great to see the TyStudio people on TSS. However, if it will shut this forum down then I would not want that to happen. It is a chance we take, right?

Kelly

Kelly
04-05-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by keith721
Leo has the desktop image posted on his site at:

http://www.leoville.com/pix.shtml

Looks like:

- TyEditor processing an A&E show
- DOS telnet session into his TiVo
- CuteFTP session with his TiVo

must not have been terribly difficult, after all ;)
Congrats, Leo !! :D :D

I saw that. Leo showed it on TSS and I went and looked at it. This is what made my want to get a TurboNET. I have all the routers, cables and software standing by. I'm just leary of spending the money and having the service shut my out after I install it. If that happens then I will have wished I didn't spend the money, if you know what I mean....

I want to try this so bad!!

Kelly

Kelly
04-05-2003, 05:02 AM

Cool! Maybe that will light a fire under me and I'll go out and actually buy a TurboNET.

Thanks Leo!!!

Kelly

Kelly
04-05-2003, 05:10 AM
im fairly certain he misspoke. no one on this board has deal with an issue like that that i have heard of

Yeah and he did says something about version 3.1 which when a person misspeaks what part of what he has said is wrong. Since I'm new I must read,look and ask questions. ;-)

My version is 3.0-01-1-010 So I am not quite to 3.1 yet. How long do I have until I get hit with and upgrade that takes me to 3.1 ???

Could I suggest we start a thread and Perhaps report our TurboNET experiences so we are fully informed? Just a thought!

Thanks!

Kelly

Kelly
04-05-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by hickory
I remember the statement and I believe he was referring to DTivo's with the 3.1 version running. I hadn't used that version so I wasn't sure if he was correct or not.

Like mrblack said no one here apparently has an issue with it????

Yes, I do remember hearing him say something about 3.1. Are the DirecTiVo's all using 3.1? Will I get hit with 3.1 after I install a TurboNET card?
Or did Leo just goof while he tried extracting and he knocked himself off?? It could happen. :-)

Thanks!

Kelly

rc3105
04-05-2003, 05:48 AM
kelly:

if you have a legit sub you will eventually get 3.1, 4.0, etc. when exactly is anybody's guess. any standard sw upgrade from tivo via sat-stream, dialin or turbonet-internet will nuke bash & all the fun hacks since they're not provided by tivo. you'll have to re-install them but that's not a big deal.

all the info you need is here, use search with "show results as posts" for best results...

--
Riley

AlphaWolf
04-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Kelly
I just want to put my two cents in and say it would be great to see the TyStudio people on TSS. However, if it will shut this forum down then I would not want that to happen. It is a chance we take, right?

Theres nothing illegal here.

BubbleLamp
04-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Theres nothing illegal here.

Onyx's disassembly of tivoapp (not GPL'd), links to ftp sites with modded boot299 files, fixsub. You guys crack me up with your two-faced views of what's ok and what isn't. Get real. Admit you're not the altruistic saints you think you are.

AlphaWolf
04-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Onyx's disassembly of tivoapp (not GPL'd), links to ftp sites with modded boot299 files, fixsub. You guys crack me up with your two-faced views of what's ok and what isn't. Get real. Admit you're not the altruistic saints you think you are.

Well, you link to who links to who links to. All of the xtreme releases are illegal too (but fixsub isn't illegal actualy), but I dunno if that gives "they" the ability to shut this forum down. TechTV links to this forum, and about a million other sites link to TechTV. If the fruit on the poisonous tree didn't end somewhere...well, then "they" may as well shut down the whole internet :P

Besides, they are covering tystudio, which is hosted on (and downloaded from) sourceforge, not here.

Stephen
04-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Anyone care to bet that they might hash this channel during the time the interview is on like they did about DTV signal hacking? Not that it would impact anyone on this fourm since we all are legit subscribers (at least I am)

Kelly
04-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by rc3105
kelly:

if you have a legit sub you will eventually get 3.1, 4.0, etc. when exactly is anybody's guess. any standard sw upgrade from tivo via sat-stream, dialin or turbonet-internet will nuke bash & all the fun hacks since they're not provided by tivo. you'll have to re-install them but that's not a big deal.

all the info you need is here, use search with "show results as posts" for best results...

--
Riley

Great! Leo made it sound like it was a permanent kill. I've been a little hesitant to do any more modifying since two days after I installed a larger hard drive TiVo sent me a message warning me that modifying or altering my unit will violate the user agreement. As it turns out it was just a coincidence the message came in on the heals of the upgrade. The message kind of gave me the creeps about how much info they could get from my unit such as size of HD, Temp and whatever else they mentioned. I don't have those severe fears any more. I'm ready to TurboNET!!! It should be here soon. Weee!

Kelly

Neutronflux
04-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Riley, Bubblelamp, Alpha, Jdiner, Olaf.... I have alot of respect for all you guys, but where did all the antimosity come from? I know the gpl issue [more or less] has caused alot of arguments, and I'm not up to speed on the full scope of argumentation, but shit, come on guys -- isn't this supposed to be a collaborative effort?

BubbleLamp
04-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Riley, Bubblelamp, Alpha, Jdiner, Olaf.... I have alot of respect for all you guys, but where did all the antimosity come from? I know the gpl issue [more or less] has caused alot of arguments, and I'm not up to speed on the full scope of argumentation, but shit, come on guys -- isn't this supposed to be a collaborative effort?

It's real simple. Alpha and Riley and their holier than thou attitude bugs me, and others here too. So every time Riley tries to stir the pot about the GPL non-issue, I'm going to throw it back in his face. There probably aren't 20% of the users here who give a rat's ass if jdiner ever releases his source code. But Riley makes sure he dredges it up any chance he gets. In the mean time he and Alpha go on about how their tool is vastly superior, when in fact at this stage it is anything but. So the story now is, well we aren't done yet. Duh, neither is jdiner's last I looked. Will the competition make both products better, sure. Does the total BS these guys shovel help, not at all.

For the record, I don't know ANYONE involved in the development of tools on either side. But bashing the competition when your own house isn't in order is plain juvenile.

FWIW, I respect Mr. Bassman and Olaf for their efforts, and generally mature attitude about this.

rc3105
04-06-2003, 02:04 AM
that's kinda the problem, gpl is SUPPOSED to be collaborative. but:

jdiner made excuses, strung people along for months, flat out lied about releasing his source, even dissed olaf's initial efforts. myself & others handed him links to sample code and all the info needed to fix tytool MONTHS ago (like last spring/fall before olaf even got a tivo) & since olaf began jdiner's even requested info & help from olaf & never actually shared anything usefull back...

it's incredibly aggrivating when somebody takes credit (and paypal / bragging rights) for others work or direct derivitives of said work w/o even a tip of the hat

olaf's the only person taking the high road to the point of posting his working binaries & source, the rest of us with working converters got tired of the bs here & just kept ours private

there seems to be 2 camps, chearleaders (usually noobs / end users) & critics (generally programmers) & they don't mix well.

(not a rant, just a recap of previous rants)

--
Riley

edit: never claimed I was a saint, I just have issues with IP rights & am not shy about saying so. a couple of terabytes of flawless mpeg convinced me tystudio was good to go. might have been a bit optomistic, I have 1 file out of a few thousand beta 2 doesn't like ;)

AlphaWolf
04-06-2003, 02:59 AM

I just like being bombastic :D

However, I have increasingly been in favor of tystudio, primarily over an incident that occured about 3 weeks ago.

No further comments.

EDIT: Well, except for this: the tystudio team has been collaborating quite well :)

pidhead
04-06-2003, 03:15 AM
Bubblelamp,

Your comment about links to sites with modded boot299 files makes me even more curious about somehting that I have not seen explained clearly -- search though I have ... maybe theres a reason for the lack of explanation.

What exactly does boot299 do? or maybe, why would it be a problem to link to sites that have it? I have 10+ legit subscriptions, and I want to stay that way...

Thanks. pidhead

please PM if this is not the place...

rc3105
04-06-2003, 03:27 AM
just for the record....

modifying boot299.btl is equivilant to modifying the rom on a regular sat reciever. some of those mods have legitimate uses but others include theft of signal/svc and are not supposed to be discussed here as per the terms of the board.

--
Riley

MrBassMan
04-06-2003, 04:29 AM

Please do not include my name or Olaf's in this list - I do not think it is justified. Both Olaf and I have made several attempts to work with JDiner but had little or no response. The last contact was when we released tyStudio, jdiner PM'd me offering his help on the project. I PM'd back welcoming him, telling him where to get the source, and suggesting he may want to look initially at getting tyStudio and tyTools working together. He never responded. Don't forget the reason why Olaf started working on tydemux - he offered to help jdiner but he refused help.

I have even stuck up for jdiner on a few threads here.

Contributions to tystudio is welcomed from everyone, jdiner included. It is a community project that is for the use and benefit of all.

rc3105
04-06-2003, 06:03 AM
very true. please be clear on who said what & why.

john has no ax to grind, olaf has buried his. aw is, er, durned if I know.... ;) and I have issues from losing a years's pay from a similiar situation years ago. (2 if you figure in taxes)

I've dropped the issue since even I'm not that hung up on it, but the suggestion someone that continues to act in bad faith (nevermind the intentions look at the results) be rewarded with a spot on national tv is another topic and worthy of comment if not outrage.

jdiner has said himself "perhaps I didn't handle this the best way".

that's pretty much a given. I think there are some issues that need exposure if gpl is to remain viable. the sigma designs xvid fiasco & this is are definatly in that category. I'd like to see THAT interview and I'm sure so would anyone doing gpl licenced projects.

--
Riley

mrblack51
04-06-2003, 12:00 PM
i am sick of seing every other thread turning into a debate regarding gpl violations, whether tytool is better/worse than tystudio, whether <insert name here> is an *****, etc. these topics have been covered numerous times. To ensure that this board maintains its focus, I will close this thread if this sort of debate continues. I will close any other thread which degrades into that sort of thing as well.

This isnt a censorship thing. If you want a thread on the issue, make one. But I don't want to see numerous threads polluted by this stuff. nuf said.

MrBassMan
04-06-2003, 12:37 PM
i am sick of seing every other thread turning into a debate regarding gpl violations, whether tytool is better/worse than tystudio, whether <insert name here> is an *****, etc. these topics have been covered numerous times. To ensure that this board maintains its focus, I will close this thread if this sort of debate continues. I will close any other thread which degrades into that sort of thing as well.

This isnt a censorship thing. If you want a thread on the issue, make one. But I don't want to see numerous threads polluted by this stuff. nuf said.

Hear, hear!

However - if somebody makes a comment with incorrect information mentioning specific members of this board, you cannot expect them to simply let it go uncorrected.

Perhaps a policy of allowing users to report specific posts and ask for it to be amended or deleted if they are specifically mentioned in the post would help?

mrblack51
04-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by MrBassMan
Hear, hear!

However - if somebody makes a comment with incorrect information mentioning specific members of this board, you cannot expect them to simply let it go uncorrected.

Perhaps a policy of allowing users to report specific posts and ask for it to be amended or deleted if they are specifically mentioned in the post would help?

thats sorta what i was figuring on. Basically, if the question gets raised, the individual should be directed to thread where previous or current discussion on the topic has taken place. i just want to keep this board exploring the possibilities of tivo, rather than rehashing the same issues repeatedly.

Neutronflux
04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Ok, sorry I haven't checked in since yesterday -- I guess this thread heated up a little since my post. My inclusion of Olaf, Riley, Bubblelamp etc etc was in reference to people whose skills I respect and in no way was an indication of who I thought was acting in a manner unbecoming of this board. The reason for this is twofold, as I mentioned my knowledge of both sides of the argument is insufficient to make an assessment either way, and furthermore such a conclusion on my part isn't something I would want to make anyways -- not to mention something anyone would care about.

I also didn't want this thread to degenerate into an instance of dragging people through the mud, or resurrecting old differences. My intentions were actually the opposite. Riley -- In terms of there being camps, I guess according to your generalization, I would fall under the "cheerleader" category because I know next to nothing when it comes to coding, so be it - color me pom pom. Other than that, please don't take my commentary or questioning as anything more than an inquiry and an attempt to avert futher arguments.

mrblack51
04-06-2003, 08:30 PM
clearly this isnt going to end

CLOSED