PDA

View Full Version : no bash over serial but yes over turbonet

snoopy
03-29-2003, 01:09 AM
I am going to update the drivers for turbonet. Up till now, I have been reluctant to do this due to not having access via the serial connection. When I try to connect to COMM1 which is correct, the TeraTerm program and other telnet programs just hang.

I am wondering if this has something to do with the fact that Nick (jafa) helped me create the partitions a long time ago when turbonet first came out and apparently walked me through steps that have since become somewhat non-standard. That is to say that my boot partition is non-standard. I have been told by another tivo user that the default or standard boot partion is hd?4 or something (This is the default that Xtreme 2.5.2 and other Xtreme updates use as the default). I have been told that I am hd?7 or something like that as opposed to 4.

I don't know unix well and needed to make my rc.sysinit file executable twice now from the boot cd because i forgot that step when i was messing around with it (At the time I was trying to figure out how to get tyindex to start working- that problem has been solved ). It was a nightmare because the people who tried to help me assumed the boot partion was 4 instead of 7 and therefore, gave me the wrong commands. I have NO IDEA how I would ever get to the correct rc.sysinit file from the boot cd if I ever had to mount it again.

To make matters worse, i cannot get bash access over serial at all. I want to do this before I go messing with turbonet so that if I can't get my bash back up with the ip, i can at least gain access to fix the problem and not have to go through the trouble of booting the cd and mounting the partion.

Can someone please help?

ps. both tivo profile and windows telnet program are set to use 9600 baud

BubbleLamp
03-29-2003, 01:52 AM
And this is posted in the extraction forum why?

snoopy
03-29-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
And this is posted in the extraction forum why?

BECAUSE.. It seemed appropriate to me.

I understand that it will not be to some. I would pefer for you to stop writting to me bubblelamp. You seem to have a problem with every post and have told me that many of my posts were a waste of bandwidth. We just don't see eye to eye sir. I am sorry that my presence here seems to bother you. Let's just agree to disagree shall we. Thank you for understanding.

snoopy
03-29-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by rc3105
make sure the VERY last line of your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is

exec < /dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3; bash --login

and you should have bash via the serial port -

you might have a config prob pc side, check the hinsdale faq. it has all the info you need to get or verify bash via serial on the tivo and some general info on doing the pc side config

--
Riley

Yes, it is infact the last line in rc.sysinit. Everything is correct on PC side, and tivo's profile has been configured to allow the serial port to run at 9600 as opposed to 11500 or whatever. Thanks for your help via chat riley. You are a lifesaver as usual. I will keep looking on this one.

03-29-2003, 06:48 AM
I sometimes loose my bash prompt, it comes back when I reboot Tivo. If you're using a homemade cable are you sure it's still good. Are you sure you didn't do something to your pc to change or disable com1 (install a modem or serial mouse for example.) You may be better off just leaving well enough alone. BL is right, you might get more help in another section.

You might get better luck posting this in underground section of tivocommunity. Nick sometimes hangs out there.