PDA

View Full Version : Home Media Hack

Hodr
03-30-2003, 03:55 AM
I appologize if this has been covered before, but I did not find anything when searching.

I have a 60 HR. Tivo Series 2 SA unit.

The only hacks I have ever been interested in are:
1) Added space (which has been available for awhile)
2) Increasing quality of recording (greater bitrate etc.) Which should be available soon to people willing to replace / reprogram their bios chip.
3) Backing up shows to a long time storage media (CD-R?)

The way I figure it, unless the HMO requires that the main office or whatnot specifically tells it the model # etc. of other Tivo devices in the house (which is entirely possible), then it should be possible to spoof a second reciever and stream the media to your PC, right?

If anyone has specific knowledge as to whether or not this is possible / likely, please speak up.

mrblack51
03-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Hodr
I appologize if this has been covered before, but I did not find anything when searching.

I have a 60 HR. Tivo Series 2 SA unit.

The only hacks I have ever been interested in are:
1) Added space (which has been available for awhile)
2) Increasing quality of recording (greater bitrate etc.) Which should be available soon to people willing to replace / reprogram their bios chip.
3) Backing up shows to a long time storage media (CD-R?)

The way I figure it, unless the HMO requires that the main office or whatnot specifically tells it the model # etc. of other Tivo devices in the house (which is entirely possible), then it should be possible to spoof a second reciever and stream the media to your PC, right?

If anyone has specific knowledge as to whether or not this is possible / likely, please speak up.

anything is possible, in theory. however, the implementation is much more difficult. there is indication that encryption will be used to ensure only units in the same house can share videos. as such, breaking the home media option security may prove to be difficult.

you can add space, improve recording quality, and backup shows by using currently available info. with the proper software revision, you can use the bash_env hack and do all this stuff, or you can hack your prom and use any version of the sw currently released.

geowar
04-11-2003, 11:09 AM
As far as I can tell neather the HMO catalog info nor the tystream data seem to be encoded in any way. The HMO software just needs to be told (by TiVo) with whom it may transfer the AV info & data.

AlphaWolf
04-12-2003, 10:29 AM
It's possible that it could encrypt the tystreams as it sends them over the ethernet.

mrblack51
04-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
It's possible that it could encrypt the tystreams as it sends them over the ethernet.

i would expect that to be the case. from the indications at tivo, they dont want it to be as 'slutty' as the replayTV 4XXX and 5XXX units were in regards to what the unit decided was another tivo. they only want you to be able to share within your home. i wouldnt be surprised if a few edits to the kernel and/or tivoapp solved the issue...but time will tell

nbahi15
04-12-2003, 08:25 PM
I think that the hacking of the HMO stream is the most promising. I seriously doubt that any encryption is going on between TiVos.

Encryption is very expensive without a dedicated ASIC. The TiVo doesn't contain any specialized encryption ASICs, the processor and memory provided couldn't deal.

If they could encrypt/decrypt on the fly they would just store the streams encrypted to begin with and then they could just transfer the shows over the network as is. So I think that implementing the TiVo network protocol would be fairly simple, and it is highly unlikely they engineered a whole new protocol for that purpose. The only catch is making your Linux box not only support the TiVo file transfer protocol but making the original TiVo aware of the virtual TiVo.

This is handled by their dial-in subscription system, only two TiVos on the same account can transfer shows between them. So the TiVos are made aware of each other by an activation process.

nbahi15
04-12-2003, 08:28 PM
So to make this work you will still need to hack your original TiVo and change a file to tell it that your TiVo emulator is a valid device that can be transfered to.

mrblack51
04-12-2003, 09:33 PM
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111503

terrybadman
04-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Is there any way that someone can describe how to get the video out of the S2SA digitally?
My understanding so far is that need to get an older version of the Tivo software load it and make modifications that will disallow software updates. I know its a basic overview but can you please shed some more light on this?
Thanks so much for the help.
-TBM