PDA

View Full Version : i've got bash!

Copper Top
03-30-2003, 09:09 AM
i'm an old dos guy, so i need help. what is the best way to edit files after you have bash? do i need to transfer them to windoz and edit them there and then transfer back? and if i do what program do i edit with? thanks for all the help! I',m learning.

mrblack51
03-30-2003, 11:56 AM
any unix or universal text editor will work. i prefer ultraedit, but textpad, and a number of other utilities work. just make sure that you are editing in unix mode, and that you restore the files permissions after you upload it if necessary

2old2play
04-25-2003, 03:52 PM
how do you transfer with BASH?

mrblack51
04-25-2003, 04:33 PM
if you are using bash via serial, then just use rz in the term window, then use your terminal applications send function. if you have a choice, select zmodem

if you are using ethernet, then you need to run tivoftpd and ftp in to transfer files

rainbowfamily
05-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Ok I have a Series 2 SA DVR running the 4.x Comcast version of the Tivo software. I can see the Tivo has leased a DHCP address from my router. But I can't seem to telnet to it or access it via a web-broswer.

I'm assuming this is because I need to install something. Is that the case or am I simply doing something wrong...?

Thanks!

mrblack51
05-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by rainbowfamily
Ok I have a Series 2 SA DVR running the 4.x Comcast version of the Tivo software. I can see the Tivo has leased a DHCP address from my router. But I can't seem to telnet to it or access it via a web-broswer.

I'm assuming this is because I need to install something. Is that the case or am I simply doing something wrong...?

tivo does not have bash or telnet enabled by default, thats where the initial 'hacking' comes into play. to my knowledge, only software versions below 3.2.0 are hackable for the SA S2 units via the bash_env hack. since you have 4.x, your options are to either downgrade your software by finding a backup from someone else, or desoldering your prom. with the prom flashed and re-installed, you can apply the initrd replacement and go from there.

yes, your tivo got an ethernet address via dhcp, but the only stuff that the tivo uses that for by default is to dial out.

rainbowfamily
05-02-2003, 03:49 PM
Ok thanks thats what I thought. I've just read so much conflicting information that my head was beginning to spin.

So the verison of the Tivo OS is stored in the EPROM not on the Hard Disk?

What I wanted to do was take a fresh 80 Gb that I have and set it up to be a replacement TIVO drive for my existing 40 hour drive. Then apply any & alll hacks that I found along the way that seem interesting and useful. Then crack the Tivo open, swap drives and proceed...

But I'm guessing life won't be so simple for me....

Damn that 4.x update....All I needed was ,#401!

mrblack51
05-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by rainbowfamily
So the verison of the Tivo OS is stored in the EPROM not on the Hard Disk?

um, no. the prom is like a computer bios with a paranoia complex. the tivo boots via the prom code. the prom checks itself, then checks the kernel. if both those are ok, then it starts the kernel, which checks the filesystem of the tivo. if any files are changed, they are deleted (and replaced with known good copies in certain cases).

What I wanted to do was take a fresh 80 Gb that I have and set it up to be a replacement TIVO drive for my existing 40 hour drive. Then apply any & alll hacks that I found along the way that seem interesting and useful. Then crack the Tivo open, swap drives and proceed...

yeah, you can do that. you just have to find a version of the tivo software before 3.2.0 but designed for your unit.

rainbowfamily
05-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Sorry what I meant was that the PROM stores information that the OS uses. On a Sun server your specified boot device is a EPROM option. So I'm assumed that the Tivo being basically a Linux computer would be similar.

Anyway where might I be able to find an Image for AT&T, TCD230040?

10ox37
05-13-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
any unix or universal text editor will work. i prefer ultraedit, but textpad, and a number of other utilities work. just make sure that you are editing in unix mode, and that you restore the files permissions after you upload it if necessary

I downloaded ultraedit..

is there something special that I need to do to make sure i am editing in unix mode?

Logandros
05-14-2003, 09:35 AM
FYI

CRT(TM) 4.0.6 (Official) -- April 17, 2003

This terminal program works awesome over winsock and allows you to que miltiple files at once and send using the rz -e command. For those wanting to still send files from bash using ethernet.