PDA

View Full Version : Is It Worth It To Upgrade To 2.5.2?

03-31-2003, 09:40 AM
I've always believed it it isn't broke don't fix it. I am using extreme 2.5.1. I found when I extract I get great extraction speed if I put my (DTivo) in standby mode, BUT if I don't I frequently wind up reboting my Tivo. This happens almost all the time with tystudio and mfs_ftp and at times with tytools6.

Dont' want to go through the hastle of an upgrade unless people think 2.5.2 is going to be A LOT MORE STABLE. I am using a tradtional (legit subscribed card) if that matters.

VideoJoe
04-01-2003, 03:33 PM
I tried 2.5.2 extreme and couldn't load turbonet.

Fugg
04-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by newbie
I've always believed it it isn't broke don't fix it. I am using extreme 2.5.1. I found when I extract I get great extraction speed if I put my (DTivo) in standby mode, BUT if I don't I frequently wind up reboting my Tivo. This happens almost all the time with tystudio and mfs_ftp and at times with tytools6.

I'm still running 2.5.1 stock (well, almost...;)) on a dsr6k, dtv legit. I have not made a call for just about a year now. I used xtreme to flash the prom, but had stability probs running it. I went back to running the original image/ original size and have had no stability probs since. I'm just running one little file ~once a month and deleting everything in the log directory once or twice a month. I use tserver_mfs6 on the machine and only have it running when I need it. Even if I extract while it's doing stuff I have no probs.

I'm curious about what your rc.sysinit looks like. Over and above the normal stuff, what is actually running on a xtremed machine in comparison to stock? Could this have anything to do with it?

(Experts please speak up!!)

Can you post your rc.sysinit? Is your tivo running hot? Are you running a server (extraction server/tivoweb server) all the time? What is the air speed velocity of a south flying sparrow?
;)

04-02-2003, 11:50 AM
I updated my turbonet drivers and get extraction speeds over 2mB/sec, frequently up to 2.3 mB/sec. Don't have tivoweb (or many other extras) running but I do have the ftp dameon (spelling?) running. I have a regular DTV card so that's not my problem.

I didn't have any trouble when I my extraction speed was slower. Putting the unit in standby is a reasonable trade off for the increased speed.

I'm not home now, I'll check the temperature tonight. I was going to upgrade the fan when I added turbonet but the holes didn't line up and I didn't have the time to start drilling.

Fugg
04-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by newbie ...
I didn't have any trouble when I my extraction speed was slower. Putting the unit in standby is a reasonable trade off for the increased speed.
AAaahhh... That makes sense. I'm still using the old turbonet drivers (if it ain't broke...) and get regular extraction speeds at 1.5 to 2meg, 2+ in standby. Now while it's recording 2 different programs, my speed dips to .9 to 1.3 but I attribute that to system load.

Looks like the new driver allows you to push past the speeds I'm getting and may be just enough to make your tivo "hickup".

Does xtreme run things that a stock load does not? You'd think that a xtreme load would be cleaner. (less stuff needed?)
...:confused: