PDA

View Full Version : ULead MovieFactory: Multiplexing Audio/Video?

brett63
03-31-2003, 10:56 AM
Using TyStudio, I have been extracting 720x480 streams from my SA, demuxing, transcoding audio to 48k and muxing to DVD MPEG. (BTW, thanks to the TyStudio team!) I then use mpeg2vcr to remove the commercials (I tried the built-in TyStudio editor but kept getting "cannot close GOP" errors).

From MovieFactory, I can quickly add my MPEG files to the project (unlike SpruceUp and MyDVD which take a considerable amount of time to import). However, when I finally author/burn the DVD, the process takes a long time. The progress meter says "Multiplexing Audio/Video" and very slowly crunches through the project (took ~1 hr for a 4.7 GB disc).

Is this normal behavior? It seems like a waste that I need to demux and mux in TyStudio, only to have the DVD software do it all over again!

Pr.Sinister
03-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Well it depends on your computer power. On my PIII-933 512 Megs RAM, it takes 15 minutes to compile a 4.3 Gig DVD.

What are you working with for DVD Authoring?

-Pr.

03-31-2003, 11:54 AM
If you're light on computer power (CPU/RAM) you might try not doing anything else (including internet) and see if that improves your performance.

brett63
03-31-2003, 12:11 PM
Actually, I recently upgraded to an XP2100, but only have 256MB RAM installed (OK, I'm cheap and needed to upgrade on a shoestring!). I'll try installing another stick of RAM and see what happens.

Also, my IDE performance just plain stinks. Still trying to determine why my read/write times are significantly slower than the benchmark average. Since this step is fairly I/O intensive, I am wondering if that is partially to blame. And, of course, if it's relying on swap file use because of a lack of memory, the HD needs to run non stop!

Thanks for the advice.

bato
03-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by brett63
but only have 256MB RAM installed
Also, my IDE performance just plain stinks.
And, of course, if it's relying on swap file use because of a lack of memory, the HD needs to run non stop!
I bet the memory/drive is the problem, more memory or better drive performance will help a lot.

If not doing anything else, how about disabling swap and check if that makes a difference.