PDA

View Full Version : How to stop picture/sound stutters and stopping (I think)

buckster
03-31-2003, 09:45 PM
I was going mad. My tivo would freeze the picture for about 10 seconds, and then play about a half a second. This only happened when I was playing one program while recording another.

At first I thought that it was a bad hard disk, but it didn't seem to matter which hard disk was "active". Also, it seemed to be more of a swap file problem to me, and to add to the ignomity, I kept getting free space too fragmented errors in tverr.log

So, I erased all my old programs and did a complete system reset. Seemed to work for about 12 hours, and then, the same problem. I was beside myself, I was going to defrag. I had to do something

Now truth is, I don't know how to compile proggy's yet, so I couldn't compile the defrag proggy on the Tivo. But while I was looking for a "make" command during a telnet session to the Tivo, I found something interesting

fsfix

I assumed that this meant filesystem fix, and having nothing to lose (and there being no explanation under fsfix --help), i just did it.

And it analyzed all the inodes (file system names?) did some stuff, and about a half hout later, told me all was well.

And indeed, since i've done this, all is well.

Have no idea what it did, but it seems to have worked, which is good enuf for me.

I only write this cause I've seen many people speak of this stuttering problem, and it has been blamed on resource hogging by tivoweb. I'm wondering if fixing your swap space might also help (I know, linux is supposed to have a dedicated swap space, but what else could explain this?)

buckster
04-10-2003, 06:58 AM
well, over a week later and the fix still works, so I think I'm going to declare victory and go home.

rkshack
09-07-2004, 11:40 PM
well, over a week later and the fix still works, so I think I'm going to declare victory and go home.

can you tell me how to use fsfix. Any loss in data on the tivo?

Rkshack

mrblack51
09-08-2004, 12:17 AM
be aware that fsfix may not work on all systems, so use it at your own risk. I have had one or two tivos commit suicide and have to be re-imaged after using it.

rkshack
09-08-2004, 12:29 AM
be aware that fsfix may not work on all systems, so use it at your own risk. I have had one or two tivos commit suicide and have to be re-imaged after using it.

When should I use it and how?

Rkshack

cojonesdetoro
09-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Seems to me that it's a 'hail mary pass', to be used only when desparate and all other options are exhausted. Don't use it unless you've already decided that a re-image is your only other course of action. Save what you can and execute. If it trrashes the HD then you've lost nothing that was not already lost.