PDA

View Full Version : the real way to make a bash cable?

illfos
03-31-2003, 10:18 PM
does anyone know the real way to make a bash cable? it says on the 9thtee site that

1/8" Tip to DB9 Pin 2
1/8" Ring (Middle) to DB9 Pin 3
1/8" Sleeve to DB9 Pin 5

but the weird thing is this, it depends on what kind of serial cable u have because pin 2 could either be the transmitting pin or the recieving pin, the sleeve and pin 5 is obviously the ground. i think the 2 colors for rd and td is green and yellow and the red wire is ground always on a serial cable. thanks a lot.

junkyardpizza
03-31-2003, 10:33 PM
You probably posted this thread in the wrong place, but I think you will find what you need in this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5827)

captain_video
03-31-2003, 10:56 PM
The pin designation on a DB9 connector is standardized and does not change from one cable to the next. If you look very closely (a magnifying glass may be required), all DB9 connectors have the pin numbers molded into the insulator but they are extremely difficult to read. The pins at the end of each row may be the only ones numbered so look there for the number. The row with 5 pins should be numbered 1 at one end and 5 at the other. I'll leave it to you to figure out which one should be number 2. Color coding is irrelevent as it is not standardized for cables so disregard any mention of wire colors in any of the tutorials you read. Go by pin designations ONLY!