PDA

View Full Version : Question about size of shows

bds42
04-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi-

So using tystudio beta2 I'm getting sizes of around 670mb for a 1 hr show with the commercials removed. Should I be able to get 6 of these on a single DVD? I heard that only 3 hrs of video would fit... so I'm wondering where I'm off.

Thanks,

bds42

BubbleLamp
04-01-2003, 01:44 AM
DTivo's use varible bitrate recording, so there is no hard and fast rule as to how big the files will be per hour.

captain_video
04-01-2003, 09:12 AM
So using tystudio beta2 I'm getting sizes of around 670mb for a 1 hr show with the commercials removed.

That sounds about right for the average 1 hr show. Unless the bitrate used by DTV for a particular program is totally out of kilter the you should figure a 1-hour show should be around 1.2GB, give or take a few hundred MB. As Riley pointed out in the referenced thread, there have been numerous reports of extremely huge ty files being generated when recording from certain channels lately. Roughly 2/3 of the hour is the actual program with the remainder consisting of commercials. 670MB without commercials puts you at about 1GB for the hour which is in the ballpark.