PDA

View Full Version : How do I boot from a different partion?

Vadim
07-20-2001, 11:37 AM
Right now after update my tivo is at hda7 and I want to boot from the 4th partion again. I know there is a way to change it using a hex editor or something. Can anyone point me to it?

stryder
07-20-2001, 11:56 AM
Have you tried changing the boot options in the rom?
It is what tells the Tivo which partition to boot I believe.

Vadim
07-20-2001, 12:00 PM
this is directivo :)
no diag mode.

stryder
07-20-2001, 12:37 PM
Never mind I can't help ya there then.. It must store it somewhere so that when it powers up it can initialize the correct root value to boot from. I wonder, it wouldn't surprise me if it stored it wherever it stores that list of files and checksums so that it can erase and replace the files with the originals so you can't modify DTivo for long.

khmann
07-20-2001, 02:55 PM
Hmm. thought I just posted this, but the board ate my post. guess I'll say it again.

On my SA tivo, the prom diag boot string is stored on the first sector of hda. Don't know the best way to edit this in your case, but a vi -b /dev/hda clearly shows my boot params.

note that if you want to boot a different OS version, you may also need to switch your kernel. I don't know how to do this _correctly_, but I've had success dd'ing whatever kernel I want to boot to /dev/hda3 or hda6.

There is also a 'bootstrap' partition that may need to be selected too, but I honestly don't know what it does. i've been dd'ing it too, for completeness.

This seems to work just fine for me in switching 1.3<>2.0.

I'll do some looking and see if I can find a decent hex editor for linux.

Vadim
07-22-2001, 09:13 AM
Help me out here, I need to boot to my previous partion..

Lord Magnus
07-22-2001, 10:37 AM
I am kinda talking through my arse since I don't have a machine currently, but under linux the LILO boot info is stored in /etc/lilo.conf. Is this the same under Directivo?

If is not this, how about doing a grep -i for the the boot device name?

Also, has anyone checked to see if the SA Tivos diagnostic program could be migrated to the Directivo? Is it stored in Prom? I would like to the change the setup_bypass variable which is well documented on the SA.

ToddMiller
07-23-2001, 11:35 PM
Can't you just use /sbin/bootpage to change the boot params? That's how it works on an S/A TiVo. E.g.

To print the existing boot args:
bootpage -p /dev/hda
To boot from hda4 and set pppondss:
bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 pppondss=true" /dev/hda

You get the idea. Since there is no prom access on a DirecTiVo you need to make sure you get the "root=blah" correct.

khmann
07-24-2001, 02:45 PM
Todd: Excellent. Thankyou! (bootpage)

Vadim, I understand you wish to boot a previous partition, if this is an attempt to back-track tivo software versions, it may not work right 'cause of MFS changes done by software update.

surgeon
07-25-2001, 07:24 PM
If you have been upgraded to 2.0.1 then the MFS changes won't let you boot an old partition that has 1.3 on it without adding "runmyworld=false" to the bootpage parms as:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 pppondss=true runmyworld=false" /dev/hda