PDA

View Full Version : FYI Dtivo --> DVD pretty easy method

blax
04-03-2003, 04:56 AM
I just wanted to share my experience in getting video from my Dtivo to a DVD as frankly it's been a long hard road and although I'm still a novice I have learned allot maybe someone can benifit and save some headaches. Here is the process I have been using.

1. Tystudio B2 - Grab shows using the DVD + AC3 settings, cut commercials if you feel like it
2. Nero Vision Express w MPEG2 encoder- yes it transcodes the vid, but it is a relativly small increase in file size that is right on par with how much vid a "normal" DVD holds and the best part is you get real DVD resolution so most stand alones won't balk at it. I then "burn" the DVD to a directory in vision.
3. Burn with Nero DVD UDF 1.02 setting. The reason I don't just burn it in nero vision is simple, 1. I want to test it with windvd first 2. nero vision dosen't burn a udf 1.02 disc, in fact I don't know what it burns but it won't play in my stand alone toshiba player or on the Xbox.

This is just my take on things, using this method I get a very good quality disc that has played on every player that will read a DVDR that I have been able to find. If anyone has a better / quicker way of doing this I am all ears, as I said just trying to share my experience.

04-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Another easy method also from DTivo
1) Use tystudio, edit, output to elemental streams no audio transcoding. If you use tyindex and tyserver this takes only a minute or 2 of user time.

2) Use Ifoedit to create the VOB/title set. Again this step only takes a few seconds of user time.

3) Use Nero to burn the DVD.

This works best if you're trying to archive a movie or one or 2 shows on a DVD.
You'll have to use other programs if you're looking for menus and other extras.

Pete Ruttman
04-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Can ifoedit handle multiple shows yet compiled for burning onto one DVD?

If not, is there a way to join 2 shows together and get a chapter between them easily?

pete

artships
04-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ruttman
Can ifoedit handle multiple shows yet compiled for burning onto one DVD? If not, is there a way to join 2 shows together and get a chapter between them easily?

Nope. Have to use TMPGEnc's Merge&Cut MPEG Tool to merge muxed shows, then the Simple Demuxer to split the audio from video for ifoedit.

Search this forum for "celltimes.txt". It is a file of frame numbers where you want chapters. Feed it to ifoedit.

captain_video
04-03-2003, 02:44 PM
If you want to add accurate chapter stops then you'll need to use a DVD authoring program like SpruceUp (for elemental streams) or DVD MovieFactory or DVD Workshop (for muxed streams). The celltimes.txt file that artships is referring to just puts chapter stops in a set of elemental streams at regular intervals during the muxing process.

There are basically two different mindsets for DVD authoring in this forum:

1. Quick and dirty - this is where IFOEdit comes in. No muss, no fuss authoring with no bells and whistles. Slap in an extracted and split ty file and burn it to DVD. Not recommended for authoring more than one show to a single DVD. SpruceUp can also be used for this purpose.

2. Full authoring - this is where you need either TyStudio or TyTools with GOPEditor for editing commercials for importing into an authoring program such as SpruceUp, Maestro, DVD Movie Factory, or DVD Workshop. More steps are involved in the authoring process but the finished products look much more professional. The end result is dependent on how much time and effort you want to invest in the authoring process. There are other compatible programs but these seem to be the most widely used. They allow complete authoring capabilities with menus, titles, buttons, and chapter stops. You can add multiple shows to a single DVD and link to each one indepently and directly from a menu.

ninsei
04-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by newbie

2) Use Ifoedit to create the VOB/title set. Again this step only takes a few seconds of user time.

I found that IfoEdit's chapter insertion method causes problems on some older DVD Players where skipping to the next chapter causes the show to stop and hang. (My old Sony 330SVP does this). Whereas other authoring software that captain_video notes does not cause this problem (SpruceUp, DVDWS, MF2, etc.).

Secondly, for DTivo I believe any method that involves transcoding is not necessary. There are currently many methods that involve no transcoding and hence are faster for creating DVDs. Depending on your software, taking either a muxed or elemental stream with a possible header patch is all that is necessary..

Personally, I use TyStudio with cuts, elemental streams + no audio transcoding -> SpruceUp -> DVD

-ninsei

Pete Ruttman
04-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Do you crash on the first import like many say?

pete

ninsei
04-03-2003, 05:00 PM

pete

Yes, you have to patch the first header to 720x480, run SpruceUp, it crashes, and then patch back to 480x480 and import again. As much of a PITA that sounds, it actually doesn't take very long and to me, is faster than MF2 and DVDWS for my needs..

-ninsei

04-03-2003, 05:01 PM
The beta version of IFOeidt ($5) will let you add more than one show. There is an automatic chapter stop inserted

I agree, IFOedit is "quick and dirty". Works great if you're archiving 1 or 2 movies per DVD or even a few episodes of a show. I don't bother with extra chapter stops, FF on my DVD works fine.

04-03-2003, 05:07 PM
So a search, someone posted a hack for spruce up so you don't have to patch the header and have spruce up crash.

pete

Pete Ruttman
04-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Ok, I am using the method of import,crash, import again and I got two shows imported. I main a simple menu and then went to export. As it was exporting it spit out a message that stated that the computed bit rate would be too high for a legal dvd and quit. These streams are 5.8. I have used dvdpatcher to patch the first header to 3.5 but I don't think that will help.

Any suggestions?

pete

Pete Ruttman
04-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Here's the actual message:

The calculated VIDEO bitrate is too high for a legal DVD stream.

I thought the legal bitrate was at least 8.0 and mine is 5.8.

pete

ninsei
04-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Ok, I am using the method of import,crash, import again and I got two shows imported. I main a simple menu and then went to export. As it was exporting it spit out a message that stated that the computed bit rate would be too high for a legal dvd and quit. These streams are 5.8. I have used dvdpatcher to patch the first header to 3.5 but I don't think that will help.

Any suggestions?

pete

Hmmm.. Well, for me, I patch to 720x480, 3.5 Mbit before importing. When I patch back to 480x480, I select 15Mbit. I don't know if this makes a difference?

-ninsei

blax
04-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Here is my 2 cents to some your comments. Yes there are faster ways and there are ways to avoid transcoding but none of them that I have seen produce a real DVD resolution. 480x480 is not a vaild DVD resolution, even if you patch the header of your file that dosen't resize the video and some stand alone players will balk at it. I know APEX will play anything, but I am looking to produce a disc that will play on just about anything.

I have used the ISFOedit method also mentioned but same problem, it's not DVD resolution. And to answer somones question if you register for the IFOedit beta program (I think it's $5) you will get a version that will allow multiple chapters using a different m2v file per chapter.

Pete Ruttman
04-03-2003, 08:18 PM
But doesn't using tivoweb to change the resolution to something dvd compliant give you this compatibility? I have set my medium setting to 352x480 at 4.8 Mbit. That should be fully compliant assuming I transcode the audio to 48000, right?

pete

04-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Pete --Dtivos don't let you change the resolution.

Blax--Glad you found something that works for you. I haven't had any problems with 480X480. 100% compatability with standalone is not possible, some older units won't read ANY DVD that burned.

blax
04-03-2003, 10:18 PM
I have never gotten that to work. I was told that it dosen't work / has no effect on a DTIVO.

blax
04-03-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm not looking for %100. But out of the 5 DVD players I have 3 of them will not play 480x480 no matter what. And the truely important bit is that none of my friends DVD players will play 480x480 either..... if you catch my drift.... ;-)

osetivo
04-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Here's the actual message:

The calculated VIDEO bitrate is too high for a legal DVD stream.

I thought the legal bitrate was at least 8.0 and mine is 5.8.

pete

I too ran across this error message. I was building from TyStudio B3RC1 elemental streams with no transcoding of audio from a Sat-T60 DTivo. (480x480, default audio rate of 48000)

I have the patched Spruceup so I don't need to do the DVDPatcher head fake (Patch/Crash/Re-patch)

Any Ideas?