PDA

View Full Version : Tivo is DEAD !!!!????????

davehazle
04-03-2003, 09:29 AM
It seems as if my Tivo has died. I got home yesterday and the noble lad was outputing no video signals. I chacked all of my connections and found no errors. No lights are on on the front of the unit but when I plug it in, I can hear a winding noise like it is getting power. The fact that there are no lights leads me to believe that it had died. If you can shed any "light" on the subject it would be greatly apreciated.

Best Regards,
David

captain_video
04-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Check and make sure the fan is plugged in an running when the Tivo is plugged in. Check and see if the hard drives are spinning up. If not, try pulling the drives and install them in your PC. Download the diagnostic utility for your drive from the manufacturer's website and run it on the Tivo drive to make sure it's OK. If it doesn't pass the diagnostic then you'll need to replace the drive. If it passes then your power supply may have died.

Check the DTivo Power Supply Schematic Project thread for info on fixing your power supply. If you have basic soldering skills then you should be able to replace the switching board on the supply with no problems. Before you perform any major surgery you may want to check the output of the power supply at the connector. Make sure your drives and mainboard ribbon cable are connected as the power supply needs to be checked under load.