PDA

View Full Version : Codec Issue

boboli
04-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Sorry if this is answered later in the thread. I haven't gotten all the way thru it, but wanted to find out this asap.
I have used the TyStudio to make an DVD mpg file and a Generic mpg file.
When I try to play the output with Winblows Media Player, it gives me an codec error.
Is it the Media Player?
Again, accept my apologies if this is answered later in the thread.
B

bato
04-05-2003, 05:07 AM
I have the same problem but PowerDVD play it without problems. Guess I don't have the right codec for MP.

Kurt Angle
04-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Good call, the included codecs (as well as WMP in general, IMO) are weak. WinDVD or a similar program will allow you much more functionality and, as an added bonus, Bill Gates won't know what you are watching! ;) However, if you are dead set in using WMP, an install of WinDVD or another DVD prog will install all the codecs you need automatically.

protodep
04-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by boboli
I have used the TyStudio to make an DVD mpg file and a Generic mpg file.
When I try to play the output with Winblows Media Player, it gives me an codec error.
Is it the Media Player?

Microsoft does not distribute an MPEG-2 codec for their windows media player.

Stephen
04-09-2003, 04:10 PM
I have a question along this line as well. Currently a hour long program runs about 1 gig (non edited) How do I manage to compress this to like 200 to 300 meg file? I cant get tmpgenc to reconize the file format. (I can see the mpg format but it doesnt like it)

I did also install the Divx codec's thinking this would help me out but it didnt :( Any other suggestions?

rshah
04-16-2003, 09:08 PM
I had trouble finding a free mpeg-2 player until
I ran into VLC Media Player
Its useful to people like me who want to watch
an mpeg-2 file on my computer and don't have
a DVD player
Its at www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Its GPL and available for a number of platforms
including Mac and Linux

Torg
04-16-2003, 09:15 PM
There is also mplayer, windows media player, xine, ogle and a few others that will play mpeg2 streams. Some will even play encrypted DVDs (gasp :P).

In fact if you get the mpeg2 stream processor anything that can do direct media can read them too.

You can teach bbmpeg and TMPEGEnc to read them as well.

Torg
04-16-2003, 09:29 PM
I replied to the last post and ignored what the whole thread was about. I am sorry.

Here is how you can get TMPEGEnc to read mpeg2 streams.

1) get the direct rendering for WMP. There are about 50 ways to do this, nearly all want money for it (*Hint: get ligos).
2) Use TMPEGEnc and get the m2v.vfp. In fact I'll attach them (no I did not write them).