PDA

View Full Version : re-size gop's?

Fugg
04-06-2003, 02:48 PM
a newb-type question:

Is it possible to re-size gop's in a dtivo mpeg without re-encoding?

I was hoping jdiner was headed in this direction, but I guess even a saint would say **** it after being beat on so much...

MrBassMan
04-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
a newb-type question:

I was hoping jdiner was headed in this direction, but I guess even a saint would say **** it after being beat on so much...

In theory it could be done, a GOP is a header around groups of frames, usually just before an I -Frame.

According to Olaf, in a Tivo stream there is usually a GOP header before every I-Frame so we could only make GOPs bigger, not smaller without re-encoding.

I assume you are asking the question in the hope that tyEditor's cut resolution could be improved. If that is the case then we cannot improve the resolution by this meothod.

Fugg
04-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by MrBassMan
...According to Olaf, in a Tivo stream there is usually a GOP header before every I-Frame so we could only make GOPs bigger, not smaller without re-encoding.

Ah, ok. bummer. I was hoping to get them smaller. I'm running into editors/dvd tools that complain about the gop's being too big already.

also posted by MrBassMan
...I assume you are asking the question in the hope that tyEditor's cut resolution could be improved. If that is the case then we cannot improve the resolution by this meothod.

Naaa, I'm just looking for compatability with pre-existing tools I'm finding. Just too much to hope for, I guess...;)

btw, typrocess kicks butt! It's nice to be able to go from a ty to a editable mpeg with one command. Thanks!

bato
04-06-2003, 06:15 PM
I think Fugg wants to change the GOPs so DVDlab can compile Dtivo files and stop it from choking.

There are old tools that can handle most mpg and elemental streams from tyStudio nicely (SpruceUp and Maestro) that I think they were made before Dtivo extraction, and some new tools that can handle all mpg files from tyStudio and vsplit (MovieFactory and Workshop).

I believe Oscar needs to find a way to fix that and not all the way around.

If you work with SA tivo, then give DVDlab a test, I think it works ok with those files.

Fugg
04-06-2003, 06:33 PM
You hit it, dvdlab.;)

I use spruce now, but I found that I can create a dvd w/dvdlab as fast as I can w/spruceup and the menus look better and it gives me more options.

I was hoping that there may be a gop-fixin' tool somewhere.....

I asked in my thread (Tivo files ARE supported!!!!) on the dvdlab board this morning if there was any way to get it to skip that check, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

AlphaWolf
04-06-2003, 06:51 PM
a newb-type question:

I think I recall olaf saying that there was an algorithm for doing this in order to make the gop sizes DVD compliant without re-encoding, not sure though.

bato
04-06-2003, 07:19 PM
I was hoping that there may be a gop-fixin' tool somewhere.....
Reading in the ReplayTV thread, they are working with womble to cut and then fix the GOPs so the files can be used in DVDlab. I think I read that even importing those files in DVDlab without womble was not possible, so I guess the RTV files are different from Dtivo because I can import them without problems in DVDlab, only the compile option quits.

I'll test a little with womble (again) and I hope I can keep sync. Guess the ticket is to cut the file in 2 or more parts to keep sync (from what I read from ReplayTV users).

In the end womble is not an option, most mpg, m2v, m2a work with SpruceUp/Maestro so there is no reason why they can't work with DVDlab, in fact they work but only the last step is broken.

captain_video
04-07-2003, 09:11 AM
ReplayTV video files seem to be more like legit mpeg2 format than Tivo ty files. RPTV users have been using MPEG2VCR for editing from day 1 with excellent results. In fact, I was originally getting geared up to start extracting from my ReplayTV when I stumbled upon the world of DirecTivos and this forum. After massive amounts of reading it was quickly apparent which road I was going to choose. To sum it up, I no longer have either my ReplayTV or Panasonic Showstopper.

bato
04-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
ReplayTV video files seem to be more like legit mpeg2 format than Tivo ty files.
Maybe but they have trouble importing them (without womble) into DVDlab (not only compile as Dtivo files), and the output from SA tivos work all the way in DVDlab.

The good thing will be that DVDlab can handle replay/tivo/dtivo/dish files without other tools.

Fugg
04-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
RPTV users have been using MPEG2VCR for editing from day 1 with excellent results.

How??!? Every cut I make w/ANY mpeg2 file with womble, regardless of the source, creates a "Temporal Reference Error" at the cut. (ver 3.12) Looks great, but useless for dvd's.

Am I missing something? I put it aside long ago and only used it to convert sa mpa's to 48k.

brett63
04-07-2003, 10:32 AM
MPEG2VCR works well for me, although I am using SA streams encoded @ 720x480. Might be different for DTivo.

I've successfully imported edited files into DVDMF and DVDWS.

Fugg
04-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by brett63
MPEG2VCR works well for me, ...

Which version of mpeg2vcr are you using?
:confused:

brett63
04-08-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm fairly certain that it is 3.14 (not in front of my editing machine at the moment).