PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make music video DVD?

RxMan
04-06-2003, 07:23 PM
I have several large ty files of music videos that I would like to put on a single DVD. What I would like is to have about 20 music videos with a menu on a dvd.
Right now I use TyStudio to cut out the video that I want. Obviously, I want specific videos from the larger ty file.
I have found that TyStudio cannot make accurate enough cuts to make the project work. I have tried mpeg-vcr and it cut nicely but then I couldn't import into Spruce or Maestro. (GOP errors).

I also tried DVDWS but it attempted to transcode even after patching (might be user error) and the new DVD software that was mentioned recently with no luck.

Any ideas on a good method?

I am assuming that I can use TyStudio to get a smaller mpeg from the large ty file then use another program to make finer cuts to that mpeg. Then import all the resulting videos into an authoring tool.

Pr.Sinister
04-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
I have several large ty files of music videos that I would like to put on a single DVD. What I would like is to have about 20 music videos with a menu on a dvd.
Right now I use TyStudio to cut out the video that I want. Obviously, I want specific videos from the larger ty file.
I have found that TyStudio cannot make accurate enough cuts to make the project work. I have tried mpeg-vcr and it cut nicely but then I couldn't import into Spruce or Maestro. (GOP errors).

I also tried DVDWS but it attempted to transcode even after patching (might be user error) and the new DVD software that was mentioned recently with no luck.

Any ideas on a good method?

I am assuming that I can use TyStudio to get a smaller mpeg from the large ty file then use another program to make finer cuts to that mpeg. Then import all the resulting videos into an authoring tool.

Weird... I have done one with TyTool & DVDWS. All from MTV's
Old School Hip Hop show.

-Pr.

RxMan
04-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I am glad you replied. I think my best luck will be with DVDWS. How do you get the precision cuts that are needed with music videos? (actually it's not that precise ...just more precise than TyStudio) Do you patch the file as usual with DVDWS?

Did you mean TyStudio or Tytool?

Outline your method...if you don't mind

PS. I ftp'ed mpeg-vcr and m2-edit from you earlier today. :)

Pr.Sinister
04-07-2003, 12:02 AM
I am glad you replied. I think my best luck will be with DVDWS. How do you get the precision cuts that are needed with music videos? (actually it's not that precise ...just more precise than TyStudio) Do you patch the file as usual with DVDWS?

Did you mean TyStudio or Tytool?

Outline your method...if you don't mind

PS. I ftp'ed mpeg-vcr and m2-edit from you earlier today. :)

What i did was the same i would do with anything else from DTiVo

Only thing is that it's a lot of work. I use TyTool. I create a cut file
taking out all the commercials. Then patch the file to 352x480. I
repeat the process for all the shows untill i have 4 gigs worth.

Then i import in DVD Workshop (with NEW 1.3 Patch applied).

I then create a menu with 6 chapters and thumbnails. Thumbnails
are captured with PowerDVD. I then create a chapter for each
Video. I don't use the default chapter thumbnail as it's squished
and off center. I use the captures from PowerDVD.

I found that the new v1.3 creates chapters properly and are very
accurate. I create as many menus as are needed to have all videos
with their own thumbnail. Each menu has a play all button, home
button, previous and next button.

I have done the same thing with the full 1st season of Da Ali G
Show. I have 7 menus. Main menu has the fancy graphics and
background music with 6 Text Buttons to go to each of the 6 shows.

Say i select the show #5 called Science, it then brings up the
Menu named Science where you have 6 thumbnails for the 6
show segments. Each is a chapter a specific time in the MPEG.

I have rared the fully functional menu structure and put it on
my site under TyStreams if you want to take a look. You can't
actually use these as they are compiled into the VIDEO_TS.VOB
file but it gives you an idea of what i mean. It's about 7MB. You
just need to unrar in a directory and use the "Open DVD File on Hard Disk Drive"
from PowerDVD and choose the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

I would have put up the Music Video one but i loaned it out to
a friend.

-Pr.

RxMan
04-07-2003, 12:26 PM
DAMN!!!

Your menu is awesome. How the hell did you do that? I understand the sub-menus and play-all button. How did you size the graphics and get it to fit right?

My method is similiar to yours (now that I am using DVDWS). Here is what I do (tell me if there is a better way). I use TyStudio or Tytool and take a 2 hour ty file full of videos and cut out all the commercials PLUS all of the videos that I don't want.
So, I am left with 10 videos. But, I want each video separate from the others so I use mpeg-vcr and cut out each video and save separately.

I then have a folder with 10 videos. I patch all these and load into DVDWS in the order that I like.

Sound good?

All I need to do is read up on creating a cool menu with a thumbnail for each video, etc... I want to do this off of the main front menu.

I think I am getting close now...just want to make sure my methods are OK.

Pr.Sinister
04-07-2003, 12:51 PM
DAMN!!!

Your menu is awesome. How the hell did you do that? I understand the sub-menus and play-all button. How did you size the graphics and get it to fit right?

My method is similiar to yours (now that I am using DVDWS). Here is what I do (tell me if there is a better way). I use TyStudio or Tytool and take a 2 hour ty file full of videos and cut out all the commercials PLUS all of the videos that I don't want.
So, I am left with 10 videos. But, I want each video separate from the others so I use mpeg-vcr and cut out each video and save separately.

I then have a folder with 10 videos. I patch all these and load into DVDWS in the order that I like.

Sound good?

All I need to do is read up on creating a cool menu with a thumbnail for each video, etc... I want to do this off of the main front menu.

I think I am getting close now...just want to make sure my methods are OK.

Hehehe... Thanks. I love making nice menus for shows i keep.
Most people think i bought the DVDs in store. I tell them i made
them and they are all super impressed... I love it!

Your way is the best way to do it if you get Synced MPEG's out
of MPEG-VCR. I wish i could do it like that. MPEG-VCR produces
totally out of sync MPEGs out of my DTiVo files.

Creating the menus is super simple. I use Corel Photo-paint for
making my backgrounds. In that case, i went to whoisalig.com
and captured a frame from the flash into. I then went in Photo-
Paint and created a new graphic : 720x480@24bit, 120dpi.

I then pasted the capture into that blank graphic. This lets me
size it properly. I erased all the text that was written and the
bottom of the screen to allow my writing. I then went to
mouserfonts.com to try and find a font that looked like Ali G's
font. I did (Old English). I then imported my graphic in DVDWS
and placed my buttons and texts where i wanted.

For the sub-menus, i captured all relevant chapter thumbnails
in PowerDVD and converted from .bmp to .jpg to save space.

Once everything was done, i added the Instrumental version of
In Da Club to the main menu's background music. Ta Da!
Pro looking DVD!

I can't wait to get my hands on DVD Lab and see what i can pull
off with it. Right now i heard it doesn't compile DTiVo files so i'll
have to continue using DVDWS for the time being. It's a great
piece of software but i have pushed it to it's limits menu wise.
I need even more power...ruh! ruh! ruh! (Tim "The Toolman" Taylor)

-Pr.

RxMan
04-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks Again.

I have played the individual mpegs in PowerDVD and they are in sync. I also managed to produce a Title Set with DVDWS that contained 4 mpegs and they also had sync. I am printing the DVDWS manual now to learn the basics. I am having trouble getting each video to be a chapter. It's just new software, I'm sure I will get it.

Was it you who posted a tutorial for the software?

Pr.Sinister
04-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Thanks Again.

I have played the individual mpegs in PowerDVD and they are in sync. I also managed to produce a Title Set with DVDWS that contained 4 mpegs and they also had sync. I am printing the DVDWS manual now to learn the basics. I am having trouble getting each video to be a chapter. It's just new software, I'm sure I will get it.

Was it you who posted a tutorial for the software?

Yes it was... Getting each video to be a chapter is done in the
Edit tab of the program. In that tab :

- Select the 1st MPEG.
- At the top left where the Options & Save icons are, click the filmstrip to make the filmstrip to appear on the right
- Use the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the "TV Set" to get to where your second music video starts.
- Click on the + with the Film at the bottom right of the "TV Set"
- You now have added a second chapter. So chapter 1 is the beginning of the show and chapter 2 is the second music video
- Scroll to the 3rd video, click the add chapter.
- Rinse and Repeat for all 4 MPEGs.
- Now go to the Menu Tab
- Insert all the JPG/BMP thumbnails you captured from PowerDVD into your library
- Drag & Drop each image where you want it and size it as you like, add borders, etc.
- In the filmstrip, drag the Chapter 1 thumbnail from the filmstrip onto the actual thumbnail in your menu.
- Rinse & Repeat for all videos/chapters

-Pr.

RxMan
04-07-2003, 09:07 PM
OK. I understand creating chapters within each mpeg. Let's say that I have mpegs that contain only one video per mpeg. I want to be able to skip from one video to the next without going back to the main menu. For example, I am watching video#1, I get half way thru and want to go to the next one by simply hitting chapter foward.

I am getting WinDVD because I don't think PowerDVD is handling the menu right.

Pr.Sinister
04-07-2003, 09:28 PM
OK. I understand creating chapters within each mpeg. Let's say that I have mpegs that contain only one video per mpeg. I want to be able to skip from one video to the next without going back to the main menu. For example, I am watching video#1, I get half way thru and want to go to the next one by simply hitting chapter foward.

I am getting WinDVD because I don't think PowerDVD is handling the menu right.

In DVD Workshop, i haven't tried to do this yet. But you can get
this functionality if you use the Play All button on your main menu.

It will start at MPEG #1, then skip will go to MPEG #2, etc...

Only thing is that it will ALWAYS start with MPEG #1. If you want
to say start with MPEG #3 then go to MPEG #4, i don't know how
to do that as i haven't tried yet.

-Pr.

RxMan
04-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks again.

I'm not sure you understand what I want. I am fine with hitting the play all button and mpeg#1 starts. What I want to do is be able to watch half of the video or so and then skip to mpeg#2. I'm guessing that I could put a chapter marker and the very end of mpeg#1 then when I hit chapter skip, it would skip to the end of mpeg#1 then go right into mpeg#2.

I hope this makes some sense this time.

RxMan
04-07-2003, 09:47 PM
I just re-read your post. You say skip foward will go from mpeg#1 to mpeg#2. I haven't been ablt to get PowerDVD to do this.

Pr.Sinister
04-08-2003, 08:26 AM
I just re-read your post. You say skip foward will go from mpeg#1 to mpeg#2. I haven't been ablt to get PowerDVD to do this.

From what i understood, you were saying that there was only
1 Music Video in MPEG #1. So i was assuming there was only
1 chapter (default) and you didn't add any. The Play All button
doesn't play all chapters. It plays all titles. So when you press
next, it goes to the next Title. Unless you have chapters in.

If you do, it will skip to the next chapter until you get to the end
of MPEG #1 then go to MPEG #2.

That's the only thing you can do. And it's standard DVD Navigation.

If you want to have multiple chapters in MPEG #1 and in the
middle of it, you want to go to MPEG #2, then you have to
press the Title button on your DVD Remote. I'm not sure
PowerDVD has this. But my Apex does...

-Pr.

RxMan
04-08-2003, 09:11 AM
That makes perfect sense and it is what I want. The only problem is that when I create the Title Set and play in PowerDVD or WinDVD the 'next' button does NOT go to the next title. I can fast foward thru mpeg#1 and then mpeg#2 will start, but, I can't just hit 'next' to get to mpeg#2.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I basically add the 4 mpegs into the timeline at the bottom, create a menu with playall and then create.

With PowerDVD or WinDVD I select play all and then I try to navigate...but, it always fails.

Pr.Sinister
04-08-2003, 09:52 AM
That makes perfect sense and it is what I want. The only problem is that when I create the Title Set and play in PowerDVD or WinDVD the 'next' button does NOT go to the next title. I can fast foward thru mpeg#1 and then mpeg#2 will start, but, I can't just hit 'next' to get to mpeg#2.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I basically add the 4 mpegs into the timeline at the bottom, create a menu with playall and then create.

With PowerDVD or WinDVD I select play all and then I try to navigate...but, it always fails.

That's weird. Cause i was able to take 3 MPEGs an hour each
and when i used the Play All button, it would start at MPEG #1
and if i pressed Next, it would go to MPEG #2. Only thing i can
see that you might not do is i had a thumbnail for each of the
MPEG's on my main menu. So my menu had a Thumbnail to play
MPEG #1, one for MPEG #2, one for MPEG #3, and a Play All
button.

-Pr.

RxMan
04-08-2003, 06:00 PM
UGH! I still haven't figured this one out. When you click the finish tab there is an option to play the file. When you click this do navigation buttons work? When I click Playall all I get is the play, stop and menu buttons. No next or seek.

RxMan
04-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Bump for Pr. Sinister

Pr.Sinister
04-10-2003, 09:02 PM
UGH! I still haven't figured this one out. When you click the finish tab there is an option to play the file. When you click this do navigation buttons work? When I click Playall all I get is the play, stop and menu buttons. No next or seek.

Ok i'll try it and let you know... I don't remember
(I Never test with that... I create a DVD Folder and test with PowerDVD)

-Pr.

Pr.Sinister
04-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Ya i have no navigation when i test a simple 4 mpeg DVD.

I will burn and try again...

-Pr.

RxMan
04-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for trying all this. I am still following the thread and trying things myself.

Are you saying PowerDVD had no navigation?

Pr.Sinister
04-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks for trying all this. I am still following the thread and trying things myself.

Are you saying PowerDVD had no navigation?

That's right... No Navigation in PowerDVD or Ulead.

But when i burnt it on DVD, it worked fine in my Apex.

The only way i was able to access the 2nd and 3rd MPEGs while
the 1st one was playing was with the browser (Right-Click on Next)

So the method i had told you about before will work but only in
your hardware player unless we find a better software player.

-Pr.

RxMan
04-13-2003, 12:07 PM
I burned to DVD and it doesn't work in my PS2 or another player a relative had. Skipping to the next mpeg that is.