PDA

View Full Version : DWD490RE - Getting Guide......

Cabrio
04-07-2003, 05:55 PM
I just bought a DWD490Re off of ebay. I placed my card in the receiver (from my dealer) and the receiver seems to be stuck in getting guide, is it the programming on the card or is it the receiver. I even placed a unsubbed p4 in there and it did the same thing? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Cab

klassic
04-08-2003, 02:31 PM
do a system test and see if the tuners check out...

Sounds to me like they are fried if you cant get the guide.

If only one was fried you would still get the guide from the other...

Check all your sat connections... could be some bad connectors or a bad multiswitch.

I'm checking ebay constantly... who did you buy it from?

overfedexed
04-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Cabrio,

How much did you give for the UTV if you don't mind my asking? I just sold one that was like brand new to a guy at Decoder for $188. It came with the original box and all the accessories still in the plastic.

I had three and with the upgrade coming out soon that requires the P4 card I got rid of one quick and I'm now looking for a Tivo.

With the new Home Media Option coming out I might just get a Series 2.

klassic, you are all over the different forums like me.

overfedexed

klassic
04-08-2003, 02:46 PM
My wife thinks I have a problem...:rolleyes:

Cabrio
04-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I got it on ebay from softwaresupermall for 148.00 with no acessories, box, anything. So far he hasn't offered to help me out in anyway. I did a systems check and the tuner and sat signal are ok. I just had the card redone and am hoping that it works today, if not I guess I am SOL. When is the new update due and will it make us all use p4 cards? If you guys are switching to TIVO, which one would you get? I'll keep you posted!

Cab

klassic
04-08-2003, 03:00 PM
The card has nothing to do with getting the guide... you will get the guide without the card in the UTV..

If your tuners checked out... go to the signal meter setup screen..with the signal meters. Change the transponders...see if you are getting signal on odd AND even transponders.

overfedexed.... tell me about tivo's...I know absolutly nothing.

I'm confident that someone will figure a fix for the 3.7, if they are not sitting on it already.... but if it all goes bad I'll have to switch.

What's the good Tivo model to look for?

Cabrio
04-08-2003, 03:05 PM
I get a signal strength of 80, so I know it's not that. Given what you are saying its the unit and I guess I better see if I can get the individual who sold it to me to make good.

Any other advice???

Cab

klassic
04-08-2003, 03:16 PM
When you say 80... did you switch between transponders... to see if the odd 1,3,5,7... etc.. and even 2,4,6...etc... are getting signal?

Sorry if that's what you ment...

I checked your auction... if you are jason something....I forget now..

That auction said AS IS... my advice, for next time.... if they say they can't test it ...AND they ARE sat dealers, like this guy obviously is... then they are scamming... it doesn't take much to hook up a sat cable and see if it at least gets the guide!

If you are in the US, try redownloading the software... use code 8675309 to force it to download.... see if that perks up the tuners.

Cabrio
04-08-2003, 04:15 PM
I just tried again and I switched transponders, the odd ones work but even dont. I am able to get signal strength to 88 or so. I will try the software download to see if that works. What is the cost for having the tuners replaced (even though in Canada I wont be able to).

I sent an email to ebay@softwaresupermall.com and he isn't willing to do anything. Go figure, he is scamming me.

If this doesn't work out would you suggest a Tivo?

Hey thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Cab

klassic
04-08-2003, 04:54 PM
I didn't think you were getting all the transponders... that's why you’re not getting the guide..

If you are from Canada, like me, you cannot just download the software.... they won't let you.
It can be done but it is involved...AND it will not do you any good because your tuners are not working.. This is not a software problem.
There was a place that fixed UTV's in the US but they don't do it any more...

I'm near Hamilton Ont. ..I'll give you $100 CAD with shipping if you want to get rid of it. I want to experiment with your kind of tuner failure... I have played with other kinds of tuner failure, some successfully fixed, but yours is the same as another guys from another forum that we are emailing back and forth about and it would be easier if I had the same problem tuner in front of me.
As of now I don't know if your style of tuner failure can be fixed by replacing, fairly easy (but not if you can't solder), components or not.

I don't know what to say about getting a TIVO... if you have never experienced a UTV then you wouldn't have trouble adapting to a TIVO because you would have nothing to compare to.... I want to stick to UTV and hope a fix is on the horizon..

Let me know if you want to sell it or not.... I don't want you to feel I pressured you into it.... you could sell it on ebay , play dumb and get better price or try to get it fixed.
Here is the place that did fix them
http://www.psr1.com/dss_repair.htm

Cabrio
04-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks a lot for the info! I haven't soldered before and would be willing to try it but where would you get the parts from? Come to think of it I wouln't want to so any more damage than already has been done...

I tried the website but didn't get anything other than invalid website.

Perhaps we can email each other directly and we talk about selling it privately. I think I would be willing to do that, and get another unit, man my wife is going to be pissed at me! As far as selling it on ebay all I could do is sell it with what I know is wrong with it unlike the **** who sold it to me. He has been very unresponsive if you can imagine!

So, where you able to get his going?

klassic
04-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Cabrio.. you have a PM

kodakvnf
04-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Getting only odd or even transponders ... check your LNB. I had this problem and the LNB was bad.

Cabrio
04-10-2003, 02:47 AM
I got 3.5 and plugged it in. this time in the system test the tuners fail. when checking the signal through multi-switch test (which I dont have it says that its not getting the 18v signal and to switch the coax). Thats bs b/c I am getting 18v on my b55 (checked with a volt meter), so the **** (who sold it to me on ebay) must have put 3.0 in to make the tuners pass the system test so he could say they worked. How hard is it to replace the tuners and can you get parts to do it?

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

phyberoptic
04-15-2003, 01:46 AM
well a friend of mine bought one of you and you did not answer none of his e-mail it would be nice for you to do right by him help him out man thanks
----- Original Message -----
To: eddie nunez
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 12:38 AM
Subject: Re:

yes
----- Original Message -----
To: ebay@softwaresupermall.com
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 11:35 PM

hello i saw that you sold a utv do you have anyother in stock ???????

i thought it would help !!!!!!!!!!! read it down to top lol