PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Partition

Bomber
04-08-2003, 10:50 PM
I have the Hughes HDVR2 unit. I was following Ingineer' how to and I am at Step 12. I backed up the orignal imaged and saved to the root of the windows drive. I am upgrading to an 80GB hard drive. I removed the original A drive and placed in the new 80GB. I went through and have successfully did the mfsrestore with the -s 127 -xzpi etc. When the restore finished i was prompted with my new recording time. I rebooted with the linux floopy disk and I was watching for the "Partition Check" area to show me the new partitions I have created. The only thing in this area for the new hdc was Unknown Partition. Not sure what the problem is. So, I started from scratch. I used fdisk and created a dos partition and then re-formatted making sure it was FAT32 file system. When finished I started from step 1 up to 12 again and I still get the same "hdc" Unkown Partition. I am wandering is someone would shed some light. I am stuck and out of ideas right now.

Thanks.

nbahi15
04-18-2003, 01:17 AM
Are you using mfstools 2? The unknown partition message in the kernel boot, is there more information on the line like (0x9214) unknown partition table? Can you tell me if the Hughes DVR is Series 2?

Bomber
05-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Could booting an ntfs (2000 or xp) operating with the tivo drive attached to the computer cause this unknown partition? Maybe has written a sig to the tivo drive?

nbahi15
05-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Never, ever, boot with a drive attached to a Windows Operating System. Windows is so automatic and Windows-centric that it will do bad things to drives without asking you. So to answer the question directly... Yes if you boot a Windows machine with the TiVo drive attached it probably wrote a signature to the drive.

I would recommend you get an old PC or one of these little ITX computers to use. You don't even need to load an OS on it.