PDA

View Full Version : REQ : TiVO Extraction HOWTO

DigitalAZ
04-11-2003, 02:59 AM
There are several HOWTO's for several different tasks but the information here is so scattered that a extraction newbie may not be very clear on where to begin.

Can we start an extraction ONLY howto in this thread and once it is populated maybe a moderator will make it sticky and compile all of the information into a readable format!

I am able to extract via TYStudio Editor. However it is not playable via Media Player and cannot be edited via any editing applications.

My questions :

What is the best process for extracting a "more" compatible file for editing.

What options do I have for automated extraction? (batch extraction for multiple episodes)

Where do the files reside in the TiVO filesystem and can you extract the episodes via FTP and convert to a editable format on your PC harddrive?

What is the learning curve for "mfsstream" and how does the quality stand up to the other solutions?

Is "vplayer2" just for playing or does it serve any extraction functions?

Where can I find the Pr.Sinister method for extraction and authoring?

Where is the latest version of mfs-ftp and where can I find a readme?

captain_video
04-11-2003, 08:32 AM
All of your answers can be found here. (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/search.php?s=)

Learn to use this feature. I don't mean to sound rude but all of your questions have been asked and answered before. There are entire threads dedicated to every one of your topics so you shouldn't have any problems finding the answers. The fact that you have such a long list of questions indicates that you haven't done much looking on your own yet. Get familiar with the forums and see what you can come up with. If you're confused about a topic then ask away. Just don't start off your first post with a grocery list. You won't get spoonfed here.

04-11-2003, 08:45 AM
I'll second Captains suggestion but add, use your printer. Some of the posts are good to have for reference while you're learning.
The "best" is open to debate. Most of the methods have pros and cons. You're really going to have see what works best for you.

captain_video
04-11-2003, 03:30 PM
None of the extraction tools are difficult to set up and use so I would suggest you read up on them and try them all and decide which one you like.

As a rule of thumb, if you want help with a specific problem or question then limit your topic to a single question and not an entire list. Most of your questions can be found by just looking through the recent threads. Others will require a little more research but should still be easy to find.

DigitalAZ
04-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Wow I have lurked here for some time and I really didn't expect such a negative response to my post.

These questions are not specifically mine but more geared towards a Frequently Asked Questions format. I was just suggesting this topic become organized in some fashion and in one place. http://www.tivocommunity.com/ has a great system for compiling information for it's user base. I assumed the maintainers of this board would like to be as inviting to people visiting their website as well.

The information is here but it is all over the place and not geared towards someone just starting out. I figured if a few people listed their methods and geared it towards a new member it would in the long run end all of the "newbie" questions regarding extraction. I was not posting a grocery list of demands but trying to invoke some order in this chaotic forum. I apologize and regret my post was so ill received. I will return to lurker status so I don't upset anyone any further.

Originally posted by captain_video
You won't get spoonfed here.

Thank you for such a welcoming attitude.

AlphaWolf
04-11-2003, 07:55 PM
The main problem your looking at is the extraction stuff changes on a weekly basis because of new versions being constantly released. If somebody were to write a howto, the rules would change significantly in a very short period of time, making it pretty pointless.

Meathead
04-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Make sure that yiou use multiplex mode when using tystudio

captain_video
04-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Wow I have lurked here for some time and I really didn't expect such a negative response to my post.

It wasn't meant to be negative or in any way put you off. As echoed by several of the above responses, what you were asking was for someone to do a lot of research and legwork that you should be doing on your own, hence the comment about being spoonfed. If you've been lurking here as long as you claim then you should be aware that anyone asking for multitudes of help don't usually get met with favorable replies. Your list of questions was more than just a bit overwhelming and in no way implied that you were looking to organize any sort of FAQ.

Putting together a FAQ in this forum would be pretty much of an exercise in futility due to the constant state of flux. I tried doing something along these lines a while back but it quickly became clear that there was simply too much data to sort through to come up with anything meaningful in the time I could allot to such a task. I put together the FAQ in the main forum so I know what's involved in setting one up. Sadly, that FAQ is out of date and I haven't had the time to update it to reflect current trends in Tivo hacking. It still covers most of the basics and reflects the use of 2.5Xtreme but none of the newer versions. In case you're interested, I'm a technical writer by profession (for over 26 years) so I felt at least somewhat qualified to take on the task.

I have posted several threads requesting other members to provide input and delineate their favorite methods for extracting, editing, and authoring DVDs. I received only a few responses. Subsequent attempts have been made by others with the same results.

boboli
04-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by AlphaWolf
The main problem your looking at is the extraction stuff changes on a weekly basis because of new versions being constantly released. If somebody were to write a howto, the rules would change significantly in a very short period of time, making it pretty pointless.

Which is why some people (myself included) are not real comfortable with RTMFing and are frustrated when we're told to read the HOWTOs. We (at least I) never know what is the current info. Especially, if one is coming into, say Extraction, as a nubie, they have a difficult time knowing what background knowledge they need. It's difficult when one is told to "read everything" not knowing what is relevant and what is old information that is no longer valid.
I don't know the solution to the problem, other then maybe a little more understanding when someone asks a "dumb" question. Not saying there isn't any in this group. Understanding or dumb questions. :rolleyes:
B

bato
04-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by DigitalAZ
I am able to extract via TYStudio Editor. However it is not playable via Media Player and cannot be edited via any editing applications.
Media Player sucks, use PowerDVD to see your final mpg. There are some apps that can take that output and convert to DVD without reencoding, some have some tricks others is just plain and simple. I believe you can import to other tools and edit but then you need to reencode and that takes a lot of time. What I do is elemental stream/no transcode and then take those elements to a patched (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23089) Maestro (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23116&highlight=maestro+fukrulez) then create menus with DVD Menu Studio (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdmenu/index.html) it works great.

My questions :

What is the best process for extracting a "more" compatible file for editing.

What options do I have for automated extraction? (batch extraction for multiple episodes)

Where do the files reside in the TiVO filesystem and can you extract the episodes via FTP and convert to a editable format on your PC harddrive?
I don't know the best way, but one that works great is mfs-ftp (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21915) I don't know where the files reside in the TIVO but when I ftp to my Tivo I go to the ty directory and then download all my shows, and you can select multiple files and then you get batch extraction I guess.

What is the learning curve for "mfsstream" and how does the quality stand up to the other solutions?

Is "vplayer2" just for playing or does it serve any extraction functions?
Sorry, I don't know mfsstream, I just use TyTool, TyStudio, mfs-ftp. Also don't know vplayer2. I read about a ty player (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22972) but I don't use that. One other interesting software is MythTIVO (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23380)

Where can I find the Pr.Sinister method for extraction and authoring?
It was thread 33 (maybe page 2 for you) below the stickys, or here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21728) the method describe using vsplit, but you can use TyStudio and for output select DVD/no transcode if Dtivo, or DVD/48000 for SA Tivos and skip step 6 and 7 (TMPGEnc step) because TyStudio doesn't have that bug. Or wait for vsplit3 with that fixed.

Where is the latest version of mfs-ftp and where can I find a readme?
I think the latest mfs-ftp is always a link at the first post in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21915) thread, you don't need to read all the thread just the first post to find the latest mfs-ftp and the readme.

I don't understand how you can ask this questions without knowing the answers. If you know Pr.Sinister you can search all his posts and find about the step by step. If you know about mfs-ftp you can search and find the information. Also all this information (without the DVD menu studio link) is here and is "fresh" (just a couple of pages of threads), this information get at least a post a week so it "jumps" back to the top.