PDA

View Full Version : DV Archive

waremonger
04-11-2003, 07:09 PM
I saw DV Archive demo'ed on Tech TV this week, and it's ease of use, interface, yada, yada, yada, is what SHOULD be for the TiVo, yes?

Why is it that a lowly competitor that is in bankruptcy (Sonic Blue) can have this stuff that far outdoes anything that exists here?

Can 'they' be asked to assist/input their technology to make this painful and cumberson process as simple as theirs?

It's all 'free', and it's all 'for the fun of it', so to speak, so there shouldn't really be any BVD's (BAD VIBES AND DISTURBANCES) about anything, or any ill feelings, just to achieve what has already been achieved, or is it technologicaly not feasable because of differencs of architeture, software and the like?

waremonger
04-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Just so you all might think my words didn't fit together well, I know it's independent people like you here developing the stuff for the Replay/Sonic Blue...just incase a quick view of my previous question/post made you think I thought that it was part of the Sonic Blue pkg., which I know it's not.

n4zmz
04-12-2003, 11:38 AM
It is simple. The ReplayTV 4K+ had networking built in. This allowed smart people to analyze the streaming between units to create a program which could emulate parts of the process.

Software which talks to the replay:
SwapDV (Now defunct)
ReplayPC
ReplayServer
DVArchive

Each of these haves limitations. They can retrieve stuff from the replay, but they can not put it back. Certain of these can stream the video using the replay as a display device.

But they can not save the video back to a replay. This saving back is important.

My dream version of this type of software would allow both streaming and bi-directional transfer of content. I.e. archive stuff to the pc and then un-archive it back to the unit.

Fugg
04-12-2003, 01:25 PM
It is simple. You can add a network card to a series 1 Tivo. This allowed smart people to analyze the the operation of the unit as well as allowing access to the os itself which allowed folks to create programs which could do all sorts of neat stuff.

Software which runs on/talks to the tivo:
tytool (simple extraction)
tystudio (simple extraction/editing/audio bitrate conversion)
mfs-ftp (video insertion/extraction w/"Now Playing" info intact)
tivoweb (webserver on the tivo)
ty-enabled mplayer (watching tivo content on your computer from the tivo)
... plus many others

Each of these haves limitations. All listed can retrieve stuff from the tivo, and some can put it back. Certain of these can stream the video from a tivo while you watch it.

One can save the video back to a tivo. This saving back is important.(;))

Dennis,
It sounds like your dream version of this type of software, that would allow both streaming and bi-directional transfer of content. I.e. archive stuff to the pc and then un-archive it back to the unit, is avaiable today!

from rc3105's post @
http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21915

"mfs-ftp
here's a little tivo side utility that lets you insert video (in) to (your tivo) or extract (from your tivo) with a regular ftp client."
:)

r00g
04-12-2003, 02:21 PM
A nice trick would be for all of the aforementioned tivo extract/insert tools to transparantly read and manipulate the stored .ty/.tmf files from a unified "Now Showing" screen. This is one aspect of the HMO (with a unified multi-tivo "Now Showing") that is very appealing. I already have my RAID-5 linux server set up, I'm just waiting to turn it into a networked tivo storage device that the wife and I can manipulate with a remote control, not scripts and proggies.

Fugg
04-12-2003, 03:04 PM
networked tivo w/no local storage, using a networked server to record/play/display stored vids in a "Now Showing" format.

damn.... would be nice....

but, to tell you the truth, i hate to even be seen asking for such.....

...makes me feel like a starving man whose just been given a whole roasted turkey, looking up and angrily asking, "Where's the damn cranberry sauce??!?!?"

:D;)

n4zmz
04-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
Dennis,
It sounds like your dream version of this type of software, that would allow both streaming and bi-directional transfer of content. I.e. archive stuff to the pc and then un-archive it back to the unit, is avaiable today!

It is close, but not there yet. If you really look at mfs_ftp.tcl, you will see that it does not save all of the attributes of a show on re-insertion. This loss of information makes it less useful. If it were complete, I would not be actively looking at modifying it. Even if it were complete, I would still have to look at connecting it to something like DVArchive to do the library management.

Since this is a thread on DVArchive, lets look at it's features:
Streaming to ReplayTV boxes and PCs
Scheduled downloads to archive
Channel and Category for shows
Drag and Drop show downloading
Remote Replay/DVArchive now showing
Auto discovery of new Replay/DVArchives
plus more than I can remember at this moment.

All of this is done with one package and no software is required on the replay to make it work. If it could reload a show on the replay, I would say it is the perfect companion for a replay box. Even without the functionality, many people bought the replay just because of this software.

Having a very very large now showing does not help. If I just use mfs_ftp to store tmf files, I end up with a large group of files that I can't easily look up the show information to see if I want to move it to a tivo to view it.

Fugg
04-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by n4zmz
It is close, but not there yet. If you really look at mfs_ftp.tcl, you will see that it does not save all of the attributes of a show on re-insertion. This loss of information makes it less useful. If it were complete, I would not be actively looking at modifying it. Even if it were complete, I would still have to look at connecting it to something like DVArchive to do the library management....
It saves just enough to identify the program and present it in the now showing on the tivo upon insertion, but it does what I thought you wanted in your first post. I didn't mean for my reply to be confrontational, just informational. Although re-reading my post, I can now see where I might have made that impression.

It's a boring day at work and I tend to get dramatic with my posts when that happens.

Sorry about that and good luck with your modifications to mfs-ftp.

n4zmz
04-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Fugg
It saves just enough to identify the program and present it in the now showing on the tivo upon insertion, but it does what I thought you wanted in your first post. I didn't mean for my reply to be confrontational, just informational. Although re-reading my post, I can now see where I might have made that impression.

It's a boring day at work and I tend to get dramatic with my posts when that happens.

Sorry about that and good luck with your modifications to mfs-ftp.
Not a problem, I've been putting off doing some nasty stuff by reading this forum and working on mfs_ftp+.
Just presenting a show in now showing is ok, but important things like ratings, save until, classifications, genre, etc which show up when you select a show from now showing are important. Try turning on parental controls without them. So, the ultimate goal is to be able to insert a show in a new tivo without loosing any of the show information. Now, there is going to have to be some error checking to handle the case where the mfs database changes so as to not destroy the destination tivo.