PDA

View Full Version : Video Extraction in the UK

Firefly
04-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone is successfully and easily (relatively!) extracting video from a 2.5.5 and transferring in high quality to DVDR in the UK.
If so, what tools and processes are recommended?

xxxx
04-14-2003, 01:47 AM
The TyStudio software (see sticky thread above) will make this much easier when the bugs are ironed out but in the meantime you need to do this:

Extract the Ty stream (I use TyTool6).

Split it into audio and video streams.

Transcode the audio into something more DVD compatible (depends on your DVD player and DVD authoring software whether you actually need to do this). There are techniques for patching the audio headers but I found that these always fail. In fact I can't even get the patching software to run without crashing (WinXP). Transcoding is quick and it works.

I use TMPGEnc to do all that and to edit and recombine, as needed.

From there you can use IFOEdit to create VOB files to DVD standard or you may be able to just create a big MPEG file if your DVD player supports it (mine does) and skip the DVD step. Remember to adjust the W/S headers if you have a W/S TV.

I found that the main problems arise with editing and above all that anything more than about 1.75 hours in length won't fit onto a single DVD without recoding the MPEG which takes forever and gives terrible results. It may be possible to play with the Tivo bitrate settings to get more usable file sizes but I'm not keen.

I have had some success with extracting MPEG and then converting it to DIVX aiming to compress it just enough to get two 2 hour programmes onto one DVD. The quality of a 1Gb/hour XVID is really very high. I suspect that in the future more set-top DVD players may well come with DIVX compatibility as standard.

04-14-2003, 09:08 AM
One of the authors of tystudio (mrbassman) is from the UK. It has a few bugs but works pretty well. I'd give it a shot. Process to elementary streams, use IFOEDIT to create the vob files and then use your DVD burning software (Nero for example) to burn your DVDs.

harryw
04-14-2003, 11:16 AM
or use tystudio -> cut ads, process to elemental streams and 48000 b/s sound.

Use DVDlab (beta) -> DVD image on HD with menus, buttons, etc etc.

Burn using Nero.

Firefly
04-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all your (positive) replies; after some recent responses to others, I thought I might get flamed for not searching hard enough first!
I think I might try the Tystudio approach and work backwards if it doesn't work.

xxxx
04-15-2003, 02:38 AM
One of the authors of tystudio (mrbassman) is from the UK. It has a few bugs but works pretty well.

I agree totally that TyStudio does the job when it works and that in the near future it will surely be even better. It seems to work fairly well for most people at the moment and I used it successfully a couple of times to extract usable video and audio but it now fails with a demux stall every time for me. I don't know why.

MrBassMan
04-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by xxxx
One of the authors of tystudio (mrbassman) is from the UK. It has a few bugs but works pretty well.

I agree totally that TyStudio does the job when it works and that in the near future it will surely be even better. It seems to work fairly well for most people at the moment and I used it successfully a couple of times to extract usable video and audio but it now fails with a demux stall every time for me. I don't know why.

See the stick thread for information about obtaining a fix for this.

xxxx
04-16-2003, 10:36 AM
See the stick thread for information about obtaining a fix for this.

Thanks for that. I wasn't trying to trash your hard work or the programme at all. I'm looking forward to trying later versions and thank you all in advance for your efforts.

I just thought that the beginner who asked the original question might be better off playing with another existing technique that works pretty well whilst waiting for the beta bugs to be sorted in TyStudio.