PDA

View Full Version : Hughes Drive problem can I copy from another?

shorty123
04-15-2003, 07:20 PM
My Hughes GXCEBOT no longer functions, it gets to the powering up and then reboots.... I have determined (based on reading) that this is likely a HD problem. I have two other units a Sony SAT t-60 and a Phillips DSR 6000. Can I low level format the drive (using the maxtor utility) and then copy one of my working drives onto the bad one? Or if it turns out the hughes drive is FUBAR, can I just purchase a 80GB drive and get it working using the above process? Or should I just pay $130 for a new drive?

mrblack51
04-15-2003, 07:32 PM
the drives are not unique, so you can restore an image to any IDE drive 30GB or larger using xtreme and it should work fine. you can copy your old drive to the new one using dd, but you will have to do a clear and delete everything to make it work.

shorty123
04-15-2003, 08:04 PM
okay...Stupid Q then... Where do I get DD and extreme? I take it they are utilities for copying drives under linux...

captain_video
04-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Look in the DirecTV Tivo Hacking Forum for the How Tos Only sticky thread near the top of the page. On page 3 of that thread you'll find several posts containing links to files for downloading and also links to other sites. You'll find the files you need there. 2.5Xtreme is a complete image of a DTivo hard drive that you need to burn to a CD. You will have to install the drives from your DTivo in your PC and then boot from the Xtreme CD to install the software.

The dd utility is part of MFS Tools 2.0. You'll find a link for it in the How Tos sticky. This is another iso image that should be burned to CD and is also bootable. I recommend getting the non-Joliet version since it seems to work better than the standard version, at least for me. Get a copy of Hinsdale's How To for instructions on backing up, restoring, copying, and upgrading your Tivo drives.

Since you are apparently new to DTivo hacking, I would recommend checking out the FAQ and as many of the referenced Tivo-related links in the aforementioned How Tos thread before attempting any upgrades. You'll quickly find that there is a wealth of info on hacking your Tivo in these forums but it's not always well organized. The search button will quickly become your greatest ally, but make sure you've got it set up to show results as posts instead of entire threads or you'll be wading through countless posts to find your answer.

BubbleLamp
04-16-2003, 10:56 AM
dd is a standard Linux/Unix command. It has nothing to do with mfstools. It will make a block for block copy of one disk to another. But if your old drive was 40GB and the new one is 80GB, the copied drive will be 40GB. I'm not sure if you'll be able to expand that image to the full 80GB using mfstools, but maybe so.

captain_video
04-16-2003, 01:47 PM
dd is a standard Linux/Unix command. It has nothing to do with mfstools.

That's a true statement but unless you have a Linux box or are familiar with Linux, most of us would use MFS Tools for making a disk-to-disk copy. I was just trying to point him to the available tools for copying his drives. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.