PDA

View Full Version : Question with restore

chalupz
04-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Following the hacking steps on my hdvr2 i could backup my drive perfectly, when I go to restore it it says success then it says "cleaning up restore" then it fails saying the drive is not big enough. Is there any way around this? I saw that someone changed drives to fix this problem but I don't have any other drives :) Also my unit has 3.2 on it. I download 31u5 zip from the ftp but i cant find a thread on here talking about what to do with it so a little insite there would be very helpful :)

Thanks!

Bomber
04-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Make sure you have enough space on your Windows drive. Some say at least 2GB of open space.

For your second issue, try to find a way to burn the U5 image to a cd and copy the file to the root of your Windows C drive.

chalupz
04-16-2003, 12:34 AM
I actully just got my hands on a 80gb drive that is nice and quiet. I wil check on the space issue on my windows drive thanks for the tip. As far as the file "hdvr2-31U5.mfs" I burned it to a cd, I can copy it off onto the windows drive no problem. But what is the next step? I do not know how to put this file on the tivo drive or what permissions to use, I haven't really seen it discued here, but I'm sure I'm just tierd and it is.

thanks for the help!

ps.. I did figure out the riddle of 5399999 :) The work it took, I appricate and I will not go dropping the answer around.

~Chalupz

mrblack51
04-16-2003, 01:30 AM
the file is an mfstools backup. you need to use mfsrestore as described in the sticky thread's link to AVS. the reason it said it couldnt expand the drive was because you were trying to expand a 40gb image onto a 40gb drive...it can't do that. drop the -x option and it shouldnt be an issue.

chalupz
04-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Ok that worked like a charm (removing the -z) Now I still can not get bash since I am I doing a clean on the box right now I have an hour to spare ;) so let me type out my experince and please let me know if you see a booboo or something I missed..

I backed up my orig tivo drive THEN

I got a copy hdvr2-31U5.mps and slapped it on my windows drive
Booted off my cd
did a restore of it,

mfsrestore -xpi /mnt/c/hdvr2-31U5.mps /dev/hdc
rebooted found that the last partition that had no lable was "hdc14" then

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
cd /cdrom
bootpage -p /dev/hdc
mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/tivo
genromfs -f /romfs.img -d img/
dd if=/romfs.img of=/dev/hdc14 bs=1024 count =1
mkdir /mnt/tivo/hack
mkdir /mnt/tivo/hack/bin
cp -p /cdrom/devbin-s2/* /mnt/tivo/hack/bin

cat >/mnt/tivo/hack/hackinit
#!/bin/bash
date>>/var/hack/hackinit.log
PATH=/ver/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:.
TIVO_ROOT=
MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
IGNOREEOF=1000
export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF
/bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&
mount -o remount,rw /

ctrl-d to save it

then

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 upgradesoftware=false BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda14\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

I do a ctl-alt-del and pop the drive back into the hdrv2 wait for it to fully boot, do a clean then wait for it to reboot and still nothing. No bash.. am I missing something here?

please help! =)

~Chalupz

chalupz
04-16-2003, 08:18 PM
anyone?

Bomber
04-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Little more info is needed. What program did you use? Did you make your own serial to 1/8" adapter or did you buy one?

chalupz
04-17-2003, 12:22 AM
I followed "hacking the hdvr2" at the tivocommunity forums for the basic walkthrue then modified it with MrBlacks findings. I did not use any program.. amI suppose to? Everything I posted is all that I did. thanks for the help I hope to have bash one day!

Ok here is a new twist on things that I just discovered too..

if I mount /dev/hdc7 and put something in /var tivo deletes it on reboot.

I though that anything in /var was not checked.. I tried to (from booting off of cd cause i still have no bash) copy fixsub31.tcl to (hda7)/var/hack and call it from (hda9)/hack/hackinit

as posting in one of the stickys.. anyway when i slapped the hdd back into the hdvr2 it rebooted once then told me i need to sub (this is after i made the intial test call).. soooooo I pulled the hdd and checked it with my trusty old linux boot cd, and /var only contained "utils" and not my stuff (/var/hack)

So what gives? I just bought the hdvr2 this week could it have new firmware on the prom or something or am i just missing something VERY important to making this all work?

any help would be great!
Thanks in advance!
~Chalupz

mrblack51
04-17-2003, 12:28 AM
the /var on /dev/hdX7 is not the one you should be messing with. you want to put stuff on the /dev/hdX9, which is the /var partition. when the tivo boots, anything in /dev/hdX7 will be overshadowed by what is on /dev/hdX9, if its not deleted by the initrd.

chalupz
04-17-2003, 12:28 AM
PS I made my own serial 2 sterio mini..

mini pin --- db9 pin
center -> 2
ring -> 3
outer -> 5

I have swaped pins 2&3 at one point (tx&rx) thinking that was the problem but no luck.

If I short the tip of the ministerio plau to the ring, I get an echo of any char I type in teraterm so I belive that my cable is ok...

Is there any other way (because I am using the orig tivo hdd) to tell if the hack is working without getting bash to rule out the possibility of the cable?

Thanks agian I hope some answers come cause I'm dead in the water but still trying everything I can think off!

~Chalupz

chalupz
04-17-2003, 12:35 AM
ahhhhh mrblack you are my hero! I'm glad your here man.. Let me go try that out and see if fixsub will at least work for me! I figure if i post anything and everything i am doing then someone will see my boo-boos and ya did!

Cool I'll be back in a few... thanks agian!

chalupz
04-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Well I did that.. put the fixsub on hdX9 called it from /var/hack and all that good stuff... still no bash still not fixsub working :( Man any suggestions would be great at this point!

Laterz and thanx in advance!
~Chalupz

mrblack51
04-17-2003, 01:23 AM
running tcl scripts such as fixsub are only useful if run from the tivo. the instructions have been used by a few people, so double and triple check your work. also make sure your term program is setup properly

chalupz
04-17-2003, 02:26 AM
I have the tcl script running from the tivo.. i added it to my hackinit and it gets fired off after boot the way it is instructed in that thread...

As far as teraterm..

Baud Rate: 9600
Data : 8 bit
Parity : none
Stop : 1 bit
flow : none

I tripple checked my work.. could it be i have a new prom that doesnt allow the bash_env hack even if your running 31u5?
]the hdvr2 was manufactured in feb 2003. I dont know how to tell you more than that.. No matter what I do to it, my p4 works fine in it, i just haved subbed to tivo yet.. I will when I get everything working a bit better than this :)

mrblack51
04-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by chalupz
I tripple checked my work.. could it be i have a new prom that doesnt allow the bash_env hack even if your running 31u5?
the hdvr2 was manufactured in feb 2003.

i kinda doubt that they changed the prom to prevent the bash_env hack. its possible, but highly unlikely at this point.

im assuming you tried hitting enter in teraterm to see if it would bring up a prompt

chalupz
04-17-2003, 08:02 AM
I sure did... So you see nothing wrong with the steps I did to get bash?

troesma
04-18-2003, 11:07 PM
chalupz,

if the copy of U5 was not originally taken from your tivo, you need take the following steps:

1- mfsrestore the image into the drive, don't try any hack yet

2- put drive in the tivo, boot up and with your remote control go to Messages & Setup - Restart or Reset System - Clear and delete everything. it takes a lot of time for tivo to delete everything so don't panic

3- stick back the HD into your pc, backup the drive and then do any hack you need

hope it helps!!
cheers,
T.

mrblack51
04-18-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by troesma
chalupz,

if the copy of U5 was not originally taken from your tivo, you need take the following steps:

1- mfsrestore the image into the drive, don't try any hack yet

2- put drive in the tivo, boot up and with your remote control go to Messages & Setup - Restart or Reset System - Clear and delete everything. it takes a lot of time for tivo to delete everything so don't panic

3- stick back the HD into your pc, backup the drive and then do any hack you need

hope it helps!!
cheers,
T.

you actually dont have to do that before hacking. clear and delete doesnt affect the system files or whatnot, just mfs settings and whatever else is used to create the error 51. specifically, bash_env and everything in /var/hack will remain untouched.