PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Partition Mounting in Linux

nbahi15
04-16-2003, 03:12 AM
I'm not sure if anyone cares but I made a little how-to on getting the TiVo partition to mount. I verified the patch against the 2.4.20 kernel. Go to lowlyworm.com (http://lowlyworm.com).

Phuzz
04-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Doh! This is great! May I assume that this little tidbit of info would allow one to safely pull vids from his/her Tivo S2 to a separate Linux box?

- N

nbahi15
04-18-2003, 12:09 AM
At this point I'm working on putting together a Linux box with removable IDE drive bays and large hard drives for storing backups of the TiVo OS and increasing the size of drives.

The first thing I noticed on this mailing list was a lot of vague info on how the boot CD mounted drives. For example people talk about byteswapping and what not. Only Tivo 1 use a byte swapped system, not Tivo 2.

As for taking the video... Well now that I have the drive mounted you should be able to grab the video if you could correctly access the mfs partitions. Currently you can only mount part4 and part7 which are ext2. So I will need to look more into this.

But it is safe so long as you don't do anything silly. ;)

I personally think emulating the TiVo's HMO option on another computer would be more exciting. I gather that the TiVo is actually using a broadcast method to discover other TiVos on the network. This also sort of limits ability to transfer of data to the immediate network. However, if it is using broadcast to discover local devices we can easily bridge that to other remote TiVos.

I am going to get a second TiVo 2 and start sniffing the network to see what is going on. Anyone that has two TiVo 2s, HMO and a box with tcpdump please capture the TiVo to TiVo traffic and make it accessible. Also TiVo to TiVo Inc computers would be good. Don't forget to set the snap length to 1500 so that you get the whole packet.