PDA

View Full Version : All exports are SVCD (480x480) not DVD compliant

<K>
04-16-2003, 11:21 PM
First- let me say TyStudio is FANTASTIC. Just dl'ed MTV's Punk'd and burned to XSVCD to watch on my DVD player. Worked flawlessly...

HOWEVER...

Despite what I choose in TyStudio - I can not get tystudio to export a DVD compliant MPEG2 file. When I choose to export "DVD" and 48000mhz audio, the resulting mpeg is rejected by Ulead's movie studio because it's 480x480. What's wrong? Do I have to change my recording preferences in Tivo to start capturing at 720x480? I'd prefer not to do that.

<k>

bato
04-17-2003, 12:19 AM
If you have a Dtivo then you are stuck with 480x480, if you have a SA tivo you can change to 720x480 or 352x480.

You can read some thread about patching your files to fool your authoring app and then patch back.

I have a Dtivo, but if I had a SA tivo I already changed to 352x480 with a good bitrate and create great DVDs with many tools out there without worring about patching and other problems.

<K>
04-17-2003, 12:59 AM
I do not have a dtivo, so I suppose I could change my settings to capture at 720x480 - however I don't want to do that because of the quality hit I'll have to take (I'd need to step down from my highest quality). In a perfect world I'd like to export > build dvd > burn without the middle steps of de-muxing and re-encoding. I know I *could* de-mux and reencode at dvd spec but is that my only option (if I refuse to change my tivo settings). How painless can I make this middle step if my goal is Tivo > DVD? Am I going to have to re-encode when all's said and done?

FreydNot
04-17-2003, 02:55 AM
The SA's hardware encoder is lame anyway. If you don't mind the time hit, transcode the files to 720x480 or 352x480. Yes, you loose a generation, but the file will be much much (much!) smaller and most mortals will not notice any picture quality issues.

Just my $0.02

bato
04-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by <K>
Am I going to have to re-encode when all's said and done?
I haven't find (yet) a DVD player (only friends and family) that can't play my Dtivo 480x480 no-re-encoded files burn as DVD with menus and chapters.

If you don't want to change your resolution in your SA tivo and you like what you see, then you can use DVDlab to create DVDs with that resolution, patch Spruce to make it use those files without patching the headers, or use Ulead tools patching the headers of your files.

I think the cheaper way will be:
- Tytools (BeSweet to 48000)/TyStudio (select audio 48000)
- Patch header to 352x480
- Moviefactory 2
- Compile
- Patch back
- Burn DVD
you only need to buy Moviefactory2 for around $50

The next cheap way and easier:
- Tytools/TyStudio (don't change audio)
- DVDlab (it will demux and take audio to 48000, no need to patch)
- Compile
- Burn DVD
and the software will be $79

Or go with Workshop, SpruceUp, Maestro.

All the projects are DVD format (vobs, ifos, menus, chapters) only the video is not DVD standard (no 720x480, 704x480 or 352x480)

After all this is said, if you are capturing at 480x480 in your SA tivo and you only change resolution to 352x480 (same bitrate), you will have same size files and will not notice the difference in PQ, and those files may work in all DVD authoring software. Your choice.

<K>
04-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks bato-
So I don't get what the option in TyStudio is for! What's the purpose of the drop-down that allows me to process as "DVD" or "SVCD" or "Generic MPEG"?! If all I ever get are the original spec's of the recording (480x480 - high quality), what's the purpose of this option!?

I would LOVE to think I'd be able to rip video from my tivo while simeoultaneously transcoding to the DVD spec for instance. Is that SUPPOSED to be possible?

K

bato
04-18-2003, 11:35 AM
The options in TyStudio (AFAIK) is that mpeg2 is a broad spec, so if you choose DVD some information in the mpg file will conform more closely to DVD standard (the video will still be 480x480), also if you select SVCD then the mpeg will have some information in it more inclined to comply the SVCD spec and all the options there.

What exactly is changed in the final mpg if you select one option or the other, I realyy don't know, but I can guess it have to do with something in the headers and maybe even GOP sequence.

I read people saying that Olaf in the future will take a Dtivo 480x480 and transcode that to 720x480, but I don't know how this can be acomplish without taking hours to process (I don't know nothing about mpeg2 conversion/compression/...).

If you don't want to mess your tivo, you can use TyStudio and select SVCD/44.1 and the final mpg import it to DVDlab, it will be demuxed and tell you if the files are ok to process. If you go that far then I guess you will not have problems creating SVCD in CD and then use the same files to create SVCD with DVD options (menus, chapters) that I guess will play in all SVCD enable DVD players (that can read DVD+/-R) all without re-encoding your video.

We don't like re-encode because takes time.

FreydNot
04-19-2003, 12:39 AM
The following was posted to the TyStudio mailing list recently...

Hello

Okay, here it comes an exmplanation I mean :).

Generic MPEG:
This is a multiplexed audio video streams that confirms to the MPEG 2
standard. There is no upper limit on the muxrate (bit rate) neither are there
any limits (well there are but they are big) on audio and video buffers. This
streams is sutible if you want to e.g. transcode your show or play it in a
very generic mpeg software player (not many Windows DVD players aren't that
generic).

DVD:
This is a multiplexed audio video streams that confirms to the constraints
that the DVD standard puts on the MPEG 2 standard. NOTE: It doesn't make the
Elementary Streams contained in the PS (Program Streams i.e. the multiplexed
stream) confirm to the constraints that the DVD standard puts on the MPEG 2
standard. In other words if you feed it a mpeg audio audio stream at 32kHz it
will happily think that is okay (the same goes for e.g. the resulution of the
video stream). Hence it's the PS only that will confirm - the PS packet size
will be of specific size, decoding buffers will be with in specified
constraints, bit rates will be with in specified constraints etc... If
tymplex can't produce a valid PS stream it will abort this can e.g. happen
when teh bit rate is to high.

SVCD:
This one is similar to the DVD profile but with the big difference that the PS
stream will confirm to the constraints put on the MPEG 2 standard by the SVCD
standard.

Cheers Olaf

Wes
04-19-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by bato
I haven't find (yet) a DVD player (only friends and family) that can't play my Dtivo 480x480 no-re-encoded files burn as DVD with menus and chapters.

Go get an Apex. That cost about $40-60 USD. About $80 for a 3 DVD changer. ;)

VideoJoe
04-19-2003, 02:03 PM
The cinevision 650 plays anything I throw at it, only 69 bucks at RatShack, and it looks better then the APEX models.

<K>
04-19-2003, 06:00 PM
I think we're getting off topic here folks...

I own an Apex fyi and I'm very happy with it. I rip from Tivo then burn as XSVCDs using ULead's Moviefactory. The problem however is when I want to rip and create a DVD instead due to program length (I hate spanning more than one disc). It seems this involves transcoding which takes too long and is a pain in the neck. Bato suggests trying DVDLab or Moviefactory 2 after mucking around with the header. This might get me out of having to transcode. Any other ideas to quickly and painlessly go from Tivo > DVD without transcoding and without changing my capture settings?

Wes
04-19-2003, 08:16 PM
The easy way is to use jdiner's vsplit to convert the .ty file to .m2v and .m2a. Then use SpruceUp or DVDMaestro to burn them on DVDs. Don't use the Editor to cut commerical yet. No DVD authoring programs that I can find can handle the commercial cut version of the .mpg files.

cpalmer1040
05-08-2003, 09:19 PM
The easy way is to use jdiner's vsplit to convert the .ty file to .m2v and .m2a. Then use SpruceUp or DVDMaestro to burn them on DVDs.

Does SpruceUp or DVDMaestro know when a .m2a file is out of sync + or -. I know if I import into ifo edit I have to tell the program how out of sync the audio is.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Wes
05-09-2003, 02:03 AM
No, the programs won't know if they are out-of-sync. If the audio file is out-of-sync to begin with, you need to adjust it using any audio editor to adjust it first.

cpalmer1040
05-09-2003, 09:50 AM
If you know a file is out of sync would it be better to extract the .ty file and run it thru tydemux? Would that solve the problem?

Also, what is the best or easiest program to use to get the audio back in sync?

Wes
05-09-2003, 10:19 AM
With jdiner's vsplit, the audio sync is never more than 15ms off. I've never needed any audio software to adjust the audio sync.

I do remember in the old days, before the vsplit exist, there were audio sync offset with my old SA Tivo with the old software. Back then, transcoding was the way of life and putting stuff on DVDs were a dream. lol. Back in those days, I was just using TMPEGenc to transcode the video and adjust the audio offset at the same time. Good old days...

Sorry, can't answer your question there.