PDA

View Full Version : Seeking summary/comparison: TiVo -> (S)VCD

horwitz
04-17-2003, 04:04 PM
I know this screams flame-bait, so my apologies beforehand.

I haven't followed the forum for a while, though I used to semi-religiously. After a cursory look through the latest posts, it seems the primary state-of-the-art options for TiVo->SVCD (or ->VCD or ->DVD) are:

(1) TyTool (jdiner)
(2) TyStudio (Olaf, et al.)

(garyw's TivoApp seems to be no longer supported.)

Are there other tools I should be looking at?

I saw several "10*-step guide"s to making DVDs from TiVo-stored programs. Frankly (and I know this is definitely opinion based), I don't know which one(s) to go with. Any compare/contrast opinions as to which is best/worst/etc?

BTW, I have a series 1 (with a BASH prompt, as I ran the Worley floppy; and with a souped-up HD) and my PC is running XP, but we have Linux machines in the apartment. CD burners galore in the house, but no DVD burners (yet -- am I the last person on this board to not have one??)

Commercial cutting would be nice, and menus wouldn't hurt either, but, frankly, I'd be happy with something that just works!

(I tried making an SVCD with TyTool, TMPGEnc, etc. many, many moons ago, and couldn't get any features to work (menus, etc.), but did a get a bare-bones 30-minutes of TV on there. However, it took most of a day to do, not even counting my false starts, etc.)

Many thanks to all.

p.s. If you want to give me a pointer to a thread, that's fine, but please (esp. if there are hundreds of posts on the thread), reference a specific post (or a few) -- "read this thread of 30,000 posts" will likely not help much (heaven knows I used to read threads top to bottom, but I only got so far as mentioned above ... of course, the technology has (presumably) improved since then).

*For various values of 10

VideoJoe
04-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Might be able to help you out, what type of Tivo do you have? DirecTivo or stand alone? Are you making SVCDs for use on a PC or DVD player? If so, can it support non-standard audio ie 48KHz vice 44.1KHz in VCD mode?

horwitz
04-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by VideoJoe
Might be able to help you out, what type of Tivo do you have? DirecTivo or stand alone? Are you making SVCDs for use on a PC or DVD player? If so, can it support non-standard audio ie 48KHz vice 44.1KHz in VCD mode?

Stand alone. I would like the SVCDs to work in DVD players (at least the ones that support SVCDs on CD-R, of course).

That 48KHz vs. 44.1KHz issue was mentioned back in the day and I never understood it...

(And thanks for the quick response!)

VideoJoe
04-17-2003, 07:21 PM
I have a Direct Tivo, so my mpeg video-frame is fixed at 480x480. You would have to set your recording quality at this size. Record you video and extract to the PC with your favorite Tystream extraction tool and set output to demux files (seperate audio and video files).

Next, since your audio is fixed at 32Khz sampling, you should convert to 44.1KHz with BeSweet or TMPG or other conversion program. 44.1 is the SVCD audio standard, mux this with your 480x480 video and you have a SVCD format MPEG.

Note - Some players can play audio outside the standard and may not require resampling (some BlueSonic chipsets)

Import these files into VCDEasy, change videoCD type to SVCD 1.0, add you chapters and desired playback controls and burn!

VCD Easy at www.vcdeasy.org
More information at www.DVDRHelp.com

bato
04-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by horwitz
Stand alone. I would like the SVCDs to work in DVD players (at least the ones that support SVCDs on CD-R, of course).

That 48KHz vs. 44.1KHz issue was mentioned back in the day and I never understood it...

(And thanks for the quick response!)
I thin stand alone normaly record at 480x480 or 544x480, so you need to make sure you record at 480x480 to make a SVCD.

The 48 vs 44.1 issue is that 44.1 is SVCD standard and 48 is DVD standard, many DVD players will play SVCD with 48 audio but some will not play those.

Some people record their cds in the CVD spect, is at 352x480 with audio at 44.1 or 48. Almost all SVCD enable DVD players will play a CVD@48. This way it will be easier to create DVDs when the recorders go below the $100 mark. But you will need to change your SA to record at 352x480.

TyStudio have an option to transcode the audio, and I think you can go from 32 to 44.1 or 48 and cutting commercials at the same time. I use Dtivo but with SA if you want to keep 1 hr show per CD without commercials you will need to record at about 1GB/hr to make it fit, so if you need to cut back some bitrate is better to cut back some resolution also so not so many macroblocks are shown in the image, so go with 352x480.

FreydNot
04-18-2003, 02:35 AM
I know it sounds like a big pain in the ass, but if you have a SA you should consider transcoding. Bottom line is the real time hardware encoders in the SA tivo aren's very good. You end up with files much larger then they need to be.

An average 30 minute show on best quality is around 1.2Gigs. On High quality is around 900Megs. Both too big for a single Disk SVCD.

I recently used Cinema Craft Encoder to transcode a 90 minute SNL episode down to under 800 Megs (with commercials cut out). I burned that on one SVCD disk with acceptable quality results. Actually, It was 352x480 resolution but it still worked out fine.

Just something to think about...

Kurt Angle
04-18-2003, 08:56 AM
How do you insert video into eazy vcd? All I see is ripping from DVD, so I wasn't sure how to insert my elemental streams into the program. Thanks and please be kind if this is a dumb question ;)

VideoJoe
04-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Kurt Angle
How do you insert video into eazy vcd? All I see is ripping from DVD, so I wasn't sure how to insert my elemental streams into the program. Thanks and please be kind if this is a dumb question ;)

Are you talking about VCDeasy or something else? In VCD easy your must have compliant files, not streams, then just drag and drop 'em into the Add here MPEG files box.

rbird
04-20-2003, 12:11 PM
If you decide on 352x480, SA Tivo's "Medium" is a good place to start. It's my default quality, and I find it makes acceptable VCDs.

Here is my method:
1. Extract ty with mfs_ftp or tystudio.
2. Process ty to MPEG-2 using tystudio (SVCD, 44100 settings)
- I make beginning and end cuts with tystudio, but not commercial cuts
3. Import into VirtualDub MPEG-2 (http://es.geocities.com/dextstuff/#VirtualDub) and make frame-exact commercial cuts.
4. Frameserve into TMPGEnc - you can use any template or settings that work with your DVD player (I am partial to KVCD (http://www.kvcd.net), however it only works in one of my two players.
5. Burn with Nero (if you're using anything other than official VCD settings (1150kbps, yuck!), make sure to turn off VCD compliance)

My process has a couple of extra steps in it, but I have found that it makes very good quality VCDs. I envy the DVD burning guys that can use tystudio almost exclusively to get good quality discs.

Hope this helps.

Bob

horwitz
04-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the great responses so far (with more to come, I'm sure!) To note: all my recordings are in Basic quality (yet, somehow, my (145h) TiVo is full...)

horwitz
05-03-2003, 05:34 PM
How do I set whether my TiVo (series 1 SA) records at 480x480, 544x480, or 352x480? (Is this a direct function of quality, i.e., Basic, Medium, High, Best?)

bato
05-04-2003, 09:07 AM
You need tivoweb to change the resources.

NicolasW
05-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by rbird
....I envy the DVD burning guys that can use tystudio almost exclusively to get good quality discs.

Bob

So If I want to do a DVD instead of SVCD I can: (1) extract with tystudio, (2) make beginning, end, and commercial cuts with tystudio, and (3) burn with my desired DVD program???

Sorry for my newbie questions but since tystudio's release there seems to be an elimination of previously used steps.

Thanks,
Wes

buckster
06-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by rbird
If you decide on 352x480, SA Tivo's "Medium" is a good place to start. It's my default quality, and I find it makes acceptable VCDs.

Here is my method: ....

4. Frameserve into TMPGEnc - you can use any template or settings that work with your DVD player (I am partial to KVCD (http://www.kvcd.net), however it only works in one of my two players.

Bob

When I do this procedure, it appears that tmpgenc is re-encoding the file. But since everything is already in good mpeg condition, I didn't think I would have to. Is this operating as it should?

Also, is there a way to force a direct stream copy in TMPGenc when frameserving from VirtualDub, as one would be able to do with an avi in virtual dub?