PDA

View Full Version : rc.sysinit not running???

troesma
04-18-2003, 07:44 PM
i need help with a rc.sysinit issue.

it seems like my HDVR2 doesn't run rc.sysinit and i cannot understand why??
i have these 2 problems that leads me to think that:

1- I have an U5 kernel. I commented out both upgrade and upgradesoftware if structures, let the box dial and get the new kernel (supposedly it should be OK since the lines that call the routines to perform the acutual upgrade are commented out) but when i reboot the new kernel is installed.

temporary solution: restored U5 and disconnected the phone

2- i added /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb >>/var/hack/tivo.log at the end of rc.sysinit but when i reboot neither tivoweb is running (doesn't show in ps x) nor the file tivo.log is created which looks like tivo never see that line of code.

anyone has a clue on what's going on??
thanks a lot!!
T.

PD: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit has appropiate permission mod: _rwxrwxrwx

troesma
04-22-2003, 01:58 PM
mrblack or anyone else who can help me.

i'm trully desperate with this rc.sysinit issue. as i mentioned in my previous posts both /var/hack/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit are executable files, permission set to _rwxrwxrwx
i tried inserting a several checkpoints in the script to see to what point it is running and not a single one of them produced an outcome
i'm attaching my rc.sysinit file so you can see what i mean. no /var/hack/test.log was created after reboot

does anyone has a clue on what the hell is going on??

mrblack51
04-22-2003, 02:18 PM
try starting from scratch. one method to disable upgrades is to save copies of installSw.itcl and finishInstall.tcl into your /var/hack dir, then remove them from the root partition. you will have them if you need them, but having them in a different place should prevent tivo from using them...you might want to change the filenames when moving...like installSw_backup.itcl

troesma
04-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
try starting from scratch. one method to disable upgrades is to save copies of installSw.itcl and finishInstall.tcl into your /var/hack dir, then remove them from the root partition. you will have them if you need them, but having them in a different place should prevent tivo from using them...you might want to change the filenames when moving...like installSw_backup.itcl

ok, i can try starting again from scratch. i need to work a little bit on stream reinsertion since i have a bunch of shows I don't want to loose.
what worries me are not the upgrades, since i have the box disconnected from the phoneline, but the inability to run programs a boot up. like tivoweb , tyhttpd etc.......

mrblack51
04-22-2003, 03:36 PM
the best place to run stuff at bootup is to run it from hackinit

troesma
04-22-2003, 08:17 PM
the best place to run stuff at bootup is to run it from hackinit

can i run tivoweb from hackinit??
i tried inserting this line: /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb >> /var/hack/tivo.log

and i can see the tivo.log file created but 'ps x' shows that tivoweb is not running. i though i couldn't run it from hackinit

i guess my system is screwed up and i need to redo it completely.

thanks,
T.

citivolus
04-23-2003, 02:59 PM
btw, I have exactly the same issue, and I didn't screw around with my box at all. I'm pretty sure rc.sysinit isn't getting executed, since I put a simple echo command at the beginning to create a file and it didn't do it. I'm baffled and would love to know the answer as well since running tivoftpd and other hacks don't seem to like being run from hackinit.

troesma
04-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by citivolus
btw, I have exactly the same issue, and I didn't screw around with my box at all. I'm pretty sure rc.sysinit isn't getting executed, since I put a simple echo command at the beginning to create a file and it didn't do it. I'm baffled and would love to know the answer as well since running tivoftpd and other hacks don't seem to like being run from hackinit.

i haven't fixed my problem yet. all i can tell you is that tivoftpd can be run from hackinit unlike tivoweb which doesn't run from hackinit
let me know if you get a fix for your problem. i'll let you know if i fix mine
cheers,
T.

mrblack51
04-24-2003, 01:36 AM
tivoweb needs myworld running. if you run tivoweb from a script which waits like 300 seconds, it should do the trick

troesma
04-24-2003, 03:23 AM
tivoweb needs myworld running. if you run tivoweb from a script which waits like 300 seconds, it should do the trick

cool, that's a very good idea!!
thanks a lot mrblack!!

fadishei
06-18-2006, 04:38 AM
I think it is not the correct file what you are editing. Note that /etc/rc.sysinit is a symbolic link to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. the latter is the file which init executes at startup.
Normally if you vi /etc/rc.sysinit, you will edit the target of this symbolic link. But it is possible that a buggy installation script which wants to patch rc.sysinit, removes the sybolic link and overwrites it with the rc.sysinit file itself. Then if you edit this isolated /etc/rc.sysinit, your checkpoints will have no effects!

fadishei
06-18-2006, 04:42 AM
mrblack or anyone else who can help me.

i'm trully desperate with this rc.sysinit issue. as i mentioned in my previous posts both /var/hack/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit are executable files, permission set to _rwxrwxrwx
i tried inserting a several checkpoints in the script to see to what point it is running and not a single one of them produced an outcome
i'm attaching my rc.sysinit file so you can see what i mean. no /var/hack/test.log was created after reboot

does anyone has a clue on what the hell is going on??

I think it is not the correct file what you are editing. Note that /etc/rc.sysinit is a symbolic link to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. the latter is the file which init executes at startup.
Normally if you vi /etc/rc.sysinit, you will edit the target of this symbolic link. But it is possible that a buggy installation script which wants to patch rc.sysinit, removes the sybolic link and overwrites it with the rc.sysinit file itself. Then if you edit this isolated /etc/rc.sysinit, your checkpoints will have no effects!

ttodd1
06-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I think after 3 years the problem has been fixed?