PDA

View Full Version : The Holier Than Thou Post . . .

mykebass
04-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Every once in a while when someone begins to creep into an issue of DTV hacking, I'll occasionally come across some holier than thou post screaming of service theft and what's righteous and what's not. Let's get real, people! I understand completely that this board is not about DTV hacking and when someone starts to go there, he should definitely be reminded; however, let's save the posts about how service theft is wrong and immoral!!
Most corporations have written the book on immorality and theft and, morever, rape the consumer at every possible opportunity!!

PetaFLOP
04-19-2003, 06:51 PM
However:

1) Two wrong don't make a right, as they say.

2) The fact that DTV hacking talk isn't allowed here has NOTHING to do with Corporate "wrongs" in the world. No one said it did. Besides, there are plenty of DTV hacking boards, why bring down DirecTV's wrath here?

Just my nickel's worth, YMMV.
PetaFLOP

HackOn!

mrblack51
04-19-2003, 07:56 PM
I agree with peta on the point of bringing in corporate moratilty or whatnot into play. Your views on the issue of people getting smacked down for discussing dtv hacking issues are completely seperate from issues relating to corporate greed, or whatever other issue.

As has been stated before, there are two big reasons for keeping dtv hacking off these boards. one is a legal issue. the other is the fact that this is a tivo hacking board, a darn good one at that. If we allow dtv hacking, then we will end up being a mediocre dtv board, and probably dilute the tivo hacking and end up mediocre in that area as well.

On the same token, i do agree that there is no need for people to be expressing their opinions regarding service theft in the technical areas of this board. if you want to have a debate about that, do it in a pm or in the chit chat area. regardless, this isnt a hacking topic.

leon phelps
05-02-2003, 05:29 PM
If DAVE wants people to stop hacking, he should stop sending the waves to the hackers homes. If there wind up being any type of dammage from DTV or DISH waves down the line(cancer or other ailments), do you think they would pay out dammages? Probably not, the goboment would bail them out.

There was a time when if ANYONE sent signals at you they were free too recieve.

I guess money and government greed(lobby money, political contributions, and tax revenue) can change any law.

I do agree to keep hacking info off of this board. Making a distinction between using open source(Linux) and radio wave theft is an important one. The hassle for the owners of the board make keeping the hacking stuff off of the board the easiest way.

The FCC laws suck anyway. They got Leon Phelps off of the air didnt they? If I only had my Julie.

captain_video
05-03-2003, 11:26 AM
I posted this info in another thread but I'll repeat it here in case anyone's interested. Over the past few days, DTV has seized control of the servers for about 65 DTV hacking websites. If you've ever visited any of these sites, you will now see a DTV logo when you connect to the home page of each site and a message indicating that DTV is now in control and is sueing the owner's of the sites. There are links that take you to sites with greater detail as well as some info about a lawsuit being taken against a group of named individuals for their roles in trafficking in DTV hacking paraphernalia. This is by far the most concentrated assault by DTV against the hacking community to date. Most of the servers are simply leased by the DTV hacker sites so all DTV has really done is cause them to find different servers to host their websites.