PDA

View Full Version : Hughes Gxcebot Dead

Lumprod
04-20-2003, 12:00 AM
I have a Hughes Gxcbot that only works for about three days then seems to die. I can unplug it over night and it will again work for about 2 or three days. I have reseated all cables, Left the cover off and replaced the hard drive and it still doe's the same thing. I think it is heat related but leaving the cover off should allow it to run cool enough. I guess its possible a chip or the power supply is going out. Any suggestions????

captain_video
04-22-2003, 08:51 AM
It sounds like your power supply could be going south on you. Does the Tivo power up at all when it's in a "dead" state? Do you hear the drives and/or fan spin up? Does the fan not spin but make a slight clicking noise instead? If it's the power supply you might want to try replacing the switching board on the supply with one from a standalone Tivo. They're exactly the same. It's the small circuit card mounted vertically to the power supply mainboard. You can get a SA Tivo replacement power supply from www.allelectronics.com for about $4.50 plus shipping. The part number is CAT#PS-70. There's an ongoing thread about this in the Experts Hacking forum. Here's a link to the catalog page:

http://www.allelectronics.com/pdf/powersupplies.pdf