PDA

View Full Version : Killing un-necessary processes?

Fugg
04-20-2003, 09:29 PM
I have a dsr6k running 2.5.1 stock, running tserver manually once or twice a week (no additional hacks other than booting with a turbonet, bash on the serial and telnet), never calls home, just running one file once a month and clearing /log manually.;)

If I do a "ps ax", I get a list of the currently running processes.

What processes can I kill and still have a functioning tivo? "Functioning" being just the bare minimum of what it needs running to do it's job on the most basic level.

What processes can I kill and still have tserver working?

...figured this would be the place to ask....

BubbleLamp
04-20-2003, 10:45 PM
It runs fine, so leave it alone! Unless you are running a bunch of daemon's like ftp or tivoweb, then I wouldn't mess with it. Why do people insist on taking a perfectly working system and try to create a problem? :confused: (Nothing personal Fugg, just a pet peeve.)

I run nothing but telnet by default. When I want to ftp, I start the ftp daemon. Then I unload it. Same with tserver. My systems never lock up, never reboot, and never have extraction issues. And I'm still on 2.5.01.

Fugg
04-20-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
It runs fine, so leave it alone!
Where's the fun in that?!?:)

also posted by BubbleLamp
...I run nothing but telnet by default. When I want to ftp, I start the ftp daemon. Then I unload it. Same with tserver. My systems never lock up, never reboot, and never have extraction issues. And I'm still on 2.5.01.
If you add serial bash to the mix, you've just described my system.

I was just curious as to what processes were part of the core jobs and what was fluff. I didn't mean to push a button or anything.

As in, I know the logging could be done without, but does myworld check/depend on in some way to the logging process?

Having good backups and a willingness to fix what ain't broke, I figured I was set!

heck, I posted here figurin' that this'd be the place where I could talk about poking my tivo with a stick just to watch it jiggle, without scaring the yung'uns.
;)

BubbleLamp
04-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
Where's the fun in that?!?:)

If you add serial bash to the mix, you've just described my system.

I was just curious as to what processes were part of the core jobs and what was fluff. I didn't mean to push a button or anything.

As in, I know the logging could be done without, but does myworld check/depend on in some way to the logging process?

Having good backups and a willingness to fix what ain't broke, I figured I was set!

heck, I posted here figurin' that this'd be the place where I could talk about poking my tivo with a stick just to watch it jiggle, without scaring the yung'uns.
;)

I killed all the logging stuff in my rc.sysinit ages ago, and nulled my log files.

Fugg
04-21-2003, 12:08 AM
cool! Did you kill off all of the logging, including the system logs?

I'm a little confused, though. I think of "nulling" as directing the output to oblivion, so to speak.

Do you still have some logging going on? Is this something the core application is doing?

forgive my rambling... I got home from work at 11pm et and it's still "beer:30" to me!

update
I've found that the system(linux) logging can be stopped by killing the logging process, as listed.

Fan control can be killed, especially if you've hardwired the fan!

Tivo logging is a direct function of the tivoapp. Killing it would require a modification to tivoapp itself. (time to find a dissasembly!)

Killing eventswitcher kills all tivoapp functions, but does not reboot the machine. cool....

Killing eventswitcher also removes the ability to get a "NowShowing" list from mfs, as well as the delete function in tytool.

If you get the NowShowing list, then kill eventswitcher, tytool will extract. fast and constant. cool....

If I kill any process started by eventswitcher, the system reboots.

I'm sticking this in as an edit to keep it from boinking to the top of the page. After upsetting BubbleLamp:
"Why do people insist on taking a perfectly working system and try to create a problem?":eek:
...I figured I'd be just as low key as possible.

Sorry if this isn't the kind of post that should be here, but I figured here better than the regular forum, as to try to keep the newbie confusion to a minimum.

...and posted for any other twisted non-coder types who are trying to learn...
:)

BubbleLamp
04-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Logsnull handles the log files from growing, since some get written directly from myworld.

Here's my other changes.

runsyslog=false
export RUNSYSLOG

-------------------------------------------------------

# System Statistics to "messages" log file.
# syslog -t Stats "== System startup resource statistics =="
# syslog -t Stats "++ System build version numbers ++"
# syslog -t Stats -f /etc/build-version
getprom -version | syslog -t Stats
IRvers=`irtest -t /dev/ttyS0 -V`
# syslog -t Stats "IR version $IRvers"
# syslog -t Stats "System Serial Number: $SysSerial"
# syslog -t Stats -f /proc/version
# syslog -t Stats "++ Memory usage ++"
# syslog -t Stats -f /proc/meminfo
# syslog -t Stats "++ CPU info ++"
# syslog -t Stats -f /proc/cpuinfo
# syslog -t Stats "++ Module info ++"
# syslog -t Stats -f /proc/modules
# syslog -t Stats "++ Device info ++"
# syslog -t Stats -f /proc/devices
# syslog -t Stats "++ Network device info ++"
# syslog -t Stats -f /proc/net/dev

A.C.
04-23-2003, 10:21 AM
BubbleLamp,

I to would like to just use things as I go and just have telnet load automatically. I can't stand it when I'm using my DTivo, and it'll lock up because of tivoweb or whatever. I know how to kill tivoweb via the interface. My question is how do you kill processes like tivoftpd, and mfs_ftp? If you try to kill mfs_ftp it'll reboot the system....I've never tried to kill tivoftpd, so I don't know. Thanks

BubbleLamp
04-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by A.C.
BubbleLamp,

I to would like to just use things as I go and just have telnet load automatically. I can't stand it when I'm using my DTivo, and it'll lock up because of tivoweb or whatever. I know how to kill tivoweb via the interface. My question is how do you kill processes like tivoftpd, and mfs_ftp? If you try to kill mfs_ftp it'll reboot the system....I've never tried to kill tivoftpd, so I don't know. Thanks

Just do a ps aux from bash and note the process number for the one you want to kill. Then enter kill xxx where xxx is that process number. I have no idea about mfs_ftp, I've been waiting for it to get more mature before messing with it.

msbose
05-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately ps aux does not work on my Tivo... any suggestions on how I can get it to work?

sabasigh
05-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by msbose
Unfortunately ps aux does not work on my Tivo... any suggestions on how I can get it to work?

My DirecTivo has the standard 3.1 release with Turbonet drivers, FTP, TivoWeb, Telnet and Tyserver running. Unfortunately, the ps command doesn't work on mine either.

Is there a way to get this loaded onto my machine separately? And how do I set the info in the profile file?

Thanks

SR712
05-29-2003, 07:10 PM
There used to be a thread that contained a zip file of the /var/hack directory here somewhere. That should have the ps executable in it, I think. You'll have to search for it. Transfer it to your tivo, and be sure to make it executable with the chmod +x command. It will have to be in a directory that's in your PATH for it to execute from any directory.

The info in the .profile file can be changed with a linux text editor. The most famous being "joe". That also should be in that zip file I mentioned earlier.

[From another post here.... "the hack.zip is included in the downloads posts on page 3 of the DTivo forum How Tos Only sticky thread"]

If you create the /var/hack/ directory, you might want to edit the rc.sysinit file (once you get your text editor going) to include that in the PATH statement. Then reboot.

sabasigh
05-30-2003, 03:15 PM
I found a /var/hack directory at tivostuff.com. Transferred ps into my hack directory, which is already in my .profile...bingo! Works like a charm.