PDA

View Full Version : SVR-2000 Problem (green screen)

Gostal
04-22-2003, 12:43 AM
I have both a Dtivo (200+hours & 25xtreme) and an older SVR-2000. I have a lifetime subscription on both. Lately, my Sony SVR-2000 seems to be dying. Upon powerup, after getting to the "welcome screen, powering up, please wait..." I get the famous "green screen" saying not to do anything while it tries to fix itself.

I called Sony, and after performing a few basic steps, they told me that the hard drive is probably at fault.

From what I recall, since it is out of warranty, I would need some $$ to repait the unit.

I bought a new hard drive, and decided to upgrade this unit. I believe that in adding a new hard drive, one of the steps involves a diagnostic test. I was hoping this would fix my problem. In doing this, The drive seems to work fine when I have it placed in my computer, but when I return it to the tivo, again the "green" screen.

Should I try to format the hard drive? Are there diagnostic test out there to check this hard drive,so that I can confirm that it is the hard drive?

If not, should I just use the new drive I bought? If so, should I use the same backup image, or should I look for one on the internet?

Thanks, any suggestions will be appreciated,
Gostal

captain_video
04-22-2003, 08:44 AM
The GSOD indicates that there may be a problem with the Tivo filesystem and the Tivo is attempting to repair itself. Just let it sit and it should clear up on its own in as little as 15 minutes or as long as 24-48 hours. If it doesn't clear up then you may want to try reloading a backup image to the drive and see if that fixes it. If the drive checks out fine when running the diagnostic in your PC then it's probably not the drive. You can get a diagnostic program from the manufacturer's website for the brand of drive in your Tivo. Tivo drives do not need to be formatted prior to installing a Tivo image to the drive. If you made a backup of the Tivo drive then you should be able to restore it to the drive.