PDA

View Full Version : DSR6k causing radio on phone line

GotIt
04-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Has anyone experienced your Dtivo causing radio broadcasts received on your phone line? When I unplug my DSR6k from the home phone line, the rock station that can be heard on the phone line in the background goes away. The phone repairman's response to this is "get rid of that box" which ain't gonna' happen, as they say. I have changed the phone cord, repairman installed a new modular phone jack and I have tried grounding the unit to a good earth ground. Any other ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.:confused:

captain_video
04-22-2003, 12:47 PM
I would suggest installing 2.5Xtreme or xPlusz so you can use your DTivo without the need for a phone line. The only thing a DTivo uses a phone line for is to upload PPV info to DTV or to download service updates to the Tivo OS. You can order PPVs via the DTV website so you won't need the phone for that. You can also update the Tivo OS yourself with all of the various versions we have available here.

A.C.
04-23-2003, 10:25 AM
It must be a northern alabama thing, and it's not just dtivos. It happens to be to. I get some sorta sports station on my phone line when one of my normal dtv recievers is connected to the phone line. Crappy BellSouth network I guess. They couldn't figure it out. Luckily I am able to unplug my phone line from that reciever.

GotIt
04-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks, guys for the responses. I am looking at how to do what Captain Video suggested but this is all new to me. Are there any good "how to"s out there anywhere...I am looking but have run into terms I am not familiar with yet. Was hoping for a good primer somewhere. Would like to move movies from Tivo to DVD eventually.
Thanks for all of the help.

captain_video
04-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Look in the DTivo Hacking forum. There's a How Tos Only sticky thread that has everything to get you started. There's also a DTivo Hacking FAQ in one of the stickys that should answer some of the more basic hacking questions. Check out some of the various links provided in my posts in the How Tos, particularly the Newbies Guide and the Tivo Hacking FAQ.