PDA

View Full Version : compatable dvd players

04-22-2003, 04:33 PM
I need a new DVD player. The DVDs I've burned work fine on my KLH (Mintek) 8350.

A number of them won't play on new units (tried Apex, Norcent and a Mintek 1600). I am going to try to get a new 8350 but I am trying to find out why some won't play, so I don't make the same mistake in the future. I've already tried the usual sources (google search, search this forum, dvdhelp.com.....)

Does anyone know of a way to determine if a DVD that I already burned is UDF 1.02 or 1.05. Nero tool and dvd-decrrypter only specify UDF. Not sure what other tools to try.

ronnythunder
04-22-2003, 04:48 PM
i'm using a pioneer dv-250 from wal-mart for $88. it seems to play anything i throw at it. the only thing that gets it is if i make a dvd with ifoedit that has both ac3 and mpeg audio streams; it thinks that the whole dvd is ac3 and won't play the mpeg audio.

cyberdvd and other pc players work fine on such discs.

as for figuring out udf 1.02 or 1.05, hmmm.. dvd decrypter? one way might be to use some method to hex dump the first few sectors of the disk, maybe there's an indication in there?

ronny

captain_video
04-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Most current model DVD players should be able to play ty DVDs just fine. My recommendation would be to take a couple of discs with you to your local electronics store and try them in any player you might be interested in. I've tried ty DVDs in recent models from Apex, Sony, Philips, Mintek, and several others and they all worked fine. I did a hands-on test about 8-10 months ago when I discovered that my 5-year old Toshiba player wouldn't even recognize the disc as being a DVD. I'm currently using a Sony model 715 and I love it.

Riot
04-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Pioneer DV-440 and DV-444 are both excellent models that have played any type of TyDVD (various UDF versions) that I throw at them.

Fugg
04-23-2003, 12:26 PM
I own apex 1100w and 1110. both under $50.

Both play tivo/spruceup dvd's and will play mpegs burnt straight to disk.

04-23-2003, 01:21 PM
I burned over 50 DVDs since the beginning of the year. I upgraded my operating system and later my computer. As a result I installed several versions of Nero. I checked my DVD's on my DVD player in my bedroom (KLH 8350) and all worked fine.

I now find a number of the DVD's will only play on my bedroom DVD. I tried APEX, Norcent and even a new 8350 and found many of the older DVD's will only play on my computer and on the old 8350. Some of the versions of Nero had problems, I guess I recorded some of my DVD's with the bad version. It seems the DVD player I was using to test the disks could handle the bad disks.

I guess at some point I'll have to re-record the DVD's.

Disks recorded with the current version of Nero work fine.