PDA

View Full Version : randomly rebooting HDVR2

citivolus
04-25-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm trying to figure out why my HDVR2 keeps rebooting randomly. It seems to last a day or so before rebooting. It's running U5 with BASH. Nothing else special. I know it's rebooting because I manually run tivoweb and tivoftpd by hand, then the next day, they are no longer running. Also, I've enabled the 30-sec skip and Playlist Sort features, and the next day, they are no longer enabled. I pulled the 80 gig Maxtor drive, ran Maxtor's PowerMax utility on it, did the Advanced check, and it verified all sectors were ok and no issues with the drive.

Any suggestions about how I can diagnose this further?

troesma
04-25-2003, 07:40 PM
TiVo is supposed to reboot everyday as far as I know. Usually at 2am by default

citivolus
04-26-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm not so sure. if that's true, then how do people get things like the 30-second skip feature to be enabled all the time? A friend of mine's HDVR2 hasn't had those features disabled since I enabled them months ago.

alternatively, is there a way to enable the 30-second skip and Now Playing sort list via a script or module, so it can be done each time the tivo reboots?

vnart
04-28-2003, 06:10 PM
no, It's not suppost to reboot everyday. At 2AM they usaully tale 30 min to update the show time data for the guide.

The cuold be few reasons:
1 - HDVR2 try to call home and the call in failed (most likely)
2- The /var/log is full
3- The setup was bad and the kernel detecting it and try to fix it by reboot.

However, the 30 skip is on as long as the system not reboot. If it reboot then 30 sec skip will turn off.

Check you setting, and in my experience tivoweb doesn't run very well in HDVR2, it makes the system run much slower.

citivolus
04-29-2003, 09:28 AM
I verified that it is successfully calling home as recently as this morning at 8AM. It doesn't appear that /var/log is getting full. Is it possible that it is trying to update the software from U5 to something later and since I'm preventing this, it is rebooting? I've got the upgradesoftware=false bootparam set. I also renamed /tvbin/tcl/updateSoftware.tcl just to be sure, and it seems as if the kernel has deleted this file!

Checking the System Info screen:

my system rebooted this morning at 2:30AM
last successful service download: yesterday morning at 2:30AM
last attempted service download: this morning at 1:59AM
last status: none available

could this be an indicator of why it's rebooting?