PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get Tivo to record radio programs?

gamehendge2000
04-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Any info appreciated...

I want to be able to do a daily, manual recording for a radio show....

anyone investigate this?

captain_video
05-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Assuming you're talking about a SA Tivo, you should be able to set up a daily recording for whatever time period you wish either by setting it up manually or by selecting a show from the guide that corresponds to the same time slot. Just connect the audio outputs from your tuner or receiver to the inputs you've set up on the Tivo and leave the tuner tuned to your favorite station. You may need to leave something connected to the video input as I'm not sure the Tivo would record without detecting a video source as well. You'll end up with a video recording that has your radio program as the soundtrack but at least you'll get the show recorded. Try a few test recordings and see if the Tivo will record without a video input. You'll conserve a lot of hard drive space if you only record the audio portion.

FreydNot
05-03-2003, 03:05 AM
I would suggest recording only at basic quality since the audio is the same for all video quality modes.

It might be worth lowering the bandwidth on the basic setting to make the video go further. I'm fairly sure you will need to give it some kind of video signal. I'm sure a "blue" screen from a VCR would do just fine and wouldn't take much to turn into mpeg since it doesn't move or change.

You could also use two radios in mono and shove them both into the stereo input of the tivo.

As an alternative if you just want to schedule radio recordings, take a look at Total Recorder. I use it to record a 2 hour radio program 5 nights a week.