PDA

View Full Version : Copy files directly off a SA hard drive

kbuegel
04-28-2003, 08:36 PM
Is there a thread somewhere that would help me copy recorded shows directly off my Tivo hard drive to my PC's drive when they are both mounted in the PC? Not sure if I can do that with the Dylan boot disk, or with the MFS tools cd, or what. Looking for some help or direction.

I have a Stand Alone Series 2 Tivo (60 hour, made by Tivo). For this Tivo, currently the only way to hack it and telnet in to access the recordings is to modify/flash the PROM chip, which involves de-soldering it from the motherboard, and other not-so-fun stuff.

But, what I wanted to know is can I just copy off the recorded shows directly from the hard drive when I have the Tivo drive mounted in my PC. Not sure what operating system I could use to move the files, but if this is possible, then it might be a simpler solution for me because I don't need to record too much too often.
Thanks!

captain_video
04-29-2003, 08:16 AM
This topic has been discussed in the past and the answer is, yes it can be done but it's a PITA. You can boot from Dylan's boot disc, Xtreme CD or most any of the Linux boot CDs EXCEPT the MFS Tools 2.0 CD. The MFS Tools CD does not allow for byteswapping or some such nonsense and won't let you mount your partitions to work any Linux mojo on your drives. I don't know much about the series 2 units so I can't help you with the extraction issue. Your best bet would be to check out the series 2 hacking forum or run some searches here.

kbuegel
04-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the answer. Yes, Dylan's boot disk allows me to mount my Tivo drive just fine as long as I hold the Shift key down when booting and use the "noswap" version. I understand direct-copying files is a PITA, but so is de-soldering an PROM chip and replacing it with a hacked EPROM. At this point.. its looking more and more like Dazzle will be getting my money after all!

Anyway, what I wanted to know is which partitions in Tivo hold the programs I've recorded, and is it one-to-one with file-to-program, or are there many files. I know this sounds like a newbie question and that I haven't read anything, but actually I have been combing through this board and others for this info.
I read through a lot of the tystream stuff, but at this point everyone seems to be using TyWeb or other tools, and the instructions are all about menu options and such. Since I can't use a tool to copy the files, I need some more info on the actual files in Linux, not the menu options in a tool.

So, any help is appreciated.

lmurray
05-03-2003, 12:09 PM
First let me say, that I don't know how to do this for the s2. But.. here's 2 links you may find useful. They describe the method for the s1.

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_by_pulling_tivo_drive.txt

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/tivo_extraction.txt

If you get a working process, please feel free to share.

enjoy,
-lloyd-