PDA

View Full Version : Tivo and a home made Head-End

klipsil
05-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Hello.
I have a small home made head end.
its all built up from my work knowledge and i did it just 4 fun.
what it does it's actually like a small Directv DBS.
i have built it using a PACE set top box and a pci based modulator http://www.videopropulsion.com/products/qam/

i have a MPEG2-TS with all the inband tables a STB needed.

what i want to do (i don't have tivo yet)
is to connect a tivo to my 1 transponder Digital Head-End and make it record the transmition.

is it possible ?

mrblack51
05-02-2003, 09:58 PM
well, if you built that type of setup, you probably have many of the needed skills. basically, you would need to redo the code which deals directly with the satellite, making it so the unit would interpret your stuff as a standard transponder, not requiring an access card.

its cool in theory, but the devil is in the details. its not going to work out of the box, but if you make it work, i would be interested to see/read how.

Fugg
05-03-2003, 09:30 PM
I think what klipsil is asking is if he can feed a stream output from a tivo into his own pc based multiplexor/modulator, with it feeding his pace receiver.

cwingert and the guys who are putting together a mplayer package for playing a raw tivo stream on a pc (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22972) use a gpl'd(I think) server on the tivo called "vserver", which sits on the tivo and responds to requests and pipes the propiritary tivo video stream to a pc via tcpip.

I'm sure that you would have to have some kind of mediating software running on the pc to take the raw tivo a/v data (known as a "ty stream") and convert it to whatever format your looking for that the modulator will accept, but I think it should work, at least on a series one tivo.

I don't know 'nuttin 'bout no series 2 tivo!
:)

mrblack51
05-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by klipsil
what i want to do (i don't have tivo yet)
is to connect a tivo to my 1 transponder Digital Head-End and make it record the transmition.

while your suggestion makes sence fugg, the above quote implies that he wants to digitally record from his head-end. i guess more clarification is needed.

and yes, using a series 2 unit would probably be easier, since the mips setup is more straightforward

Fugg
05-03-2003, 11:36 PM
AAhhhh.... I see said the blind man .....

In the immortal words of Miss Emily Latella,

"Oh. I'm sorry. Nevermind."

:)

mrblack51
05-03-2003, 11:59 PM
course, i have to wonder why he would want to record from the headend, rather than tapping the stream directly from the mpeg2 encoder. still an interesting idea though

klipsil
05-04-2003, 04:30 AM
Hi there guys.
well what i want is to transmit the video from my head-end into the TIVO.
i want to build actually a video server where the tivo acts as the clients.
but i don't have and i don't won't Ethernet... suprisingly as it sounds.
so what i thought is that the server will be my Head-end equipped with the PCI modulator.
the back channel from the TIVO will be based on the modem and on tthe phone line.
the downstream to the tivo's will be the RF channel.

swinokur
05-04-2003, 05:02 PM
If you're going to the route of using a signal modulator in the first place, why not just get a Stand-Alone tivo and just have it tune to whichever channel you have set the modulator for?

(I know that there would then be a couple generations of signal loss. The question is, is that "cheaper" than whatever gear is required to simulate a satellite broadcast?)

I _think_ that if you are trying to create a virtual satellite signal, you will need to take the signal out of the video propulsion card, and upconvert it into a satellite signal. (I don't know nearly enough about satellite communications to really answer this question - but I've gotta believe that is is more complicated than just wiring up the output of the videopropulsion board to the input of the tivo :) )

klipsil
05-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Is there anyone that tried before connecting a SA Tivo to a modulator and tuned to that channel in Tivo?

swinokur
05-04-2003, 05:32 PM
I see allusions to a script that will let you insert guide data into a stand alone tivo, in the "tivo hacking" part of the forum. I don't see a link to the script anywhere, or I would have posted it for you.

Take a look at the big "guide data, guide data, guide data" thread in "tivo hacking."

Once you get some guide data into the SA tivo, you can have it tune to whatever channel you are modulating on...

edit(1):
I just found jpag's script page: http://www.geocities.com/paglierani/ - perhaps one of these scripts is what you need...?

edit(2):
http://www.geocities.com/wyngnut2k/ - grab a copy of tivoguide 1.3.2 - looks like it should have enough information for you to play with tivo guide data...

mrblack51
05-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Is there anyone that tried before connecting a SA Tivo to a modulator and tuned to that channel in Tivo?

yeah, there are lots of people who modulate stuff onto the cable throughout their house, then tune to it with their SA tivo. you can then insert your own guide data if you wish. the tivo canada guys on yahoo groups have done this, and it works fine once you get it going.

khmann
05-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Hello.
I have a small home made head end.
its all built up from my work knowledge and i did it just 4 fun.
what it does it's actually like a small Directv DBS.
i have built it using a PACE set top box and a pci based modulator http://www.videopropulsion.com/products/qam/

a SA US TiVo probably won't be able to control your PACE box, but perhaps the UK TiVo where that sort of FTA MPEG gear is more common might- I'd be interested in any info on that front...

anyway, to use a dTiVo would be much more complicated as DTV isn't a standard MPEG stream, but if someone had the requisite STi5500 skills to make FTA MPEGs work, that'd be awesome.

questions about PCI modulator? I notice it claims DigiCipher capabilities... can it be used to load channel maps? I'd love to use some converters and mix a bunch of FTA MPEG streams (PBS/KETV...) into my analog headend...